Guitar Tones

Finn

I searched for a tones thread but couldn't find it because im the ultimate noob.

Anyone know how I can get a tone close to the Know Your Enemy sound. My setup currently sound very 99 Revolutions. Knobs that I have to play with: Gain, bass, contour, treble, reverb. These are marshall non tube amps that are pretty new. I am playing a les paul junior with a legendary series p90 in it. ta

The sound on a Marshall with a les paul should sound pretty much like KYE on standard tuning.

Pfft if only it was that easy. Gain etc likes to confuse us

Pfft if only it was that easy. Gain etc likes to confuse us

Hope this helps!

BTW, we have a Green Day themed Q&A thread right here.

If you have other questions like these you can ask there, I believe we have a guitar thread in General Chat as well :)

Hope this helps!

BTW, we have a Green Day themed Q&A thread right here.

If you have other questions like these you can ask there, I believe we have a guitar thread in General Chat as well :)

Alright sarcasm im not that much of a noob. You gave me abuse in private chat about my Halloween costume, remember? ;)

Well it sounds like you've got the right gear as a starting point! I've got a rough idea, use these to begin with and tweak them from there:

American Idiot - 21st Century Breakdown tone:

Gain - 6
Treble - 10
Contour - 8
Bass - 5
Reverb - 3

Dookie - Warning tone:

Gain - 9
Treble - 10
Contour - 8
Bass - 5

Reverb - 3

Obviously it's changed slightly with each album, but that should be a reasonable start.

It's worth pointing out that a lot of his sound actually comes from the support of Mike's bass as well, so these settings might sound a bit thin on their own.

Alright sarcasm im not that much of a noob. You gave me abuse in private chat about my Halloween costume, remember? ;)

can't remember everyone. and this is a pretty noobish thread

I'm still very upset about this. Yours was the clear cut winner.

can't remember everyone. and this is a pretty noobish thread

I would say something along the lines of 'you know me, always like to lower everyone's opinion of oneself' but as you evidently don't I shall leave it.

I think the problem lies with the amp you have. In my own experience, the Marshall non-tube (Solid State) amps sound terrible, overly saturated and no clarity whatsoever, just very muddy sounding. Fender non-tube (solid state) amps are really good sounding, almost like tube amps. I know you may have been influenced because Billie Joe uses Marshall, but I've been down that same road back in the 1990s. I bought Marshalls purely because all of my favorite guitarists used them, but I hated the sound that came out of those amps. Soon as I played a Fender amp, I finally got closer to the sound I was searching for.

I'd recommend trying out some Fender amps, they are my amp of choice and can get better Green Day tones, especially Know Your Enemy. Stay far away from distortion pedals, they are crap and will ruin your sound. Just my 20 years of guitar playing experience.

But if you still get can't the tone, you are not alone. Most guitarists can't nail the tone of any of their guitar-gods. Eddie Van Halen once said that he was a huge Eric Clapton fan, and when he was growing up, he would play Eric Clapton songs "note for note" and never could get it to sound right.

I would say something along the lines of 'you know me, always like to lower everyone's opinion of oneself' but as you evidently don't I shall leave it.

so many people say that

• 1 month later...

Archived