Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

¡Tré! is one year (and 5 days) old

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Alan86

Alan86
  • It's Ok, Im a Limo Driver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,890 posts
  • Joined Nov 16, 2005
  • 1,973 rep
The fact that the one year anniversary of this album went completely unnoticed on a Green Day Forum says a lot. The album did not sell well even though it has perhaps the best collection of songs of the 3 albums in the trilogy. Some of my personal favourites are Brutal Love, Walk Away and 99 revolutions. What are other peoples favourites?

Here is a great live performance of 99 Revolutions

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 14,248 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 14,794 rep

Can't believe it's only been a year, to be honest. There's been so much bitching about the Trilogy on here (most of it justified) that it feels a lot older. I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: Tre is by far the best of the three, and Dos should be banished from existence. The fact Tre sold so badly is criminal, but it's also understandable - who'd want to buy the third album of a trilogy where the first two suck?

• Darth Praxus and Cath like this

Alan86

Alan86
  • It's Ok, Im a Limo Driver

• 4,890 posts
  • Joined Nov 16, 2005
  • 1,973 rep

who'd want to buy the third album of a trilogy where the first two suck?

Thats a really good point. I think lots of people would have preferred just one album full of the good songs rather than what we got. Then again everyone has different opinions about what the best/worst songs are exactly
  • doworkson123123 and Not Anyone. like this

Mykee Mexx

Mykee Mexx
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Joined Nov 12, 2012
  • 560 rep

Here is a great live performance of 99 Revolutions

As so often or almost always: to me they are live better than on CD. They are a live band and even 99 Revolutions turns into a catchy song. I want a new live-album!

• Not Anyone. likes this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 14,248 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 14,794 rep

Thats a really good point. I think lots of people would have preferred just one album full of the good songs rather than what we got. Then again everyone has different opinions about what the best/worst songs are exactly

Yeah, true. In hindsight I think it would have been a great idea if they'd done the same thing the Kaiser Chiefs did recently - you pay a certain amount for a set number of songs, and then build your own album out of all the tracks that were recorded for it. One album would definitely have been more successful than three, for obvious reasons.

!

!
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Joined Aug 03, 2012
  • 379 rep

Contrary to the amount of slurpage Tre gets on here, I happen to think it's the worst. If that's the direction they're going in, then they lost me.

Mykee Mexx

Mykee Mexx
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Joined Nov 12, 2012
  • 560 rep

If that's the direction they're going in, then they lost me.

Never mind, they´ll find others... ;)

!

!
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Joined Aug 03, 2012
  • 379 rep

Never mind, they´ll find others... ;)

That'll be cool if it happens. Just throwing my feelings in about the album.

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 14,248 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 14,794 rep

Contrary to the amount of slurpage Tre gets on here, I happen to think it's the worst. If that's the direction they're going in, then they lost me.

What don't you like about it? The big hitters such as Brutal Love and X-Kid are pretty similar to stuff they've been doing since Warning.

• DookieLukie likes this

Mykee Mexx

Mykee Mexx
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Joined Nov 12, 2012
  • 560 rep

That'll be cool if it happens. Just throwing my feelings in about the album.

You´re welcome! :)

DookieLukie

DookieLukie
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  • Joined Sep 28, 2012
  • 927 rep

Hipster detected!

JOE THE X-KID

JOE THE X-KID
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2013
  • 1,390 rep
It's actually become one of favourite Green Day albums....

Pieces of Truth

Pieces of Truth
  • I am a mountain, I am the sea

• 4,071 posts
  • Joined Aug 04, 2012
  • 2,030 rep

Hipster detected!

So explain to me what exactly (reasonably) disliking an album has to do with being a "hipster"

• Todd, Céadóg, Darth Praxus and 1 other like this

Insomniac1984

Insomniac1984
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Joined May 10, 2006
  • 210 rep

Good record, but for me ¡UNO! and ¡DOS! are better.

Certified Nimrod

Certified Nimrod
  • The Real Adam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 1,958 rep

who'd want to buy the third album of a trilogy where the first two suck?

Thats a really good point.

Third time's the charm? :lol:

• Not Anyone. likes this

Advertising

HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade
  • And now for something completely different...

• 4,799 posts
  • Joined Feb 15, 2013
  • 2,804 rep
Dirty Rotten Bastards.

Amaze.

Wow.

Such not play

Much disappoint

Live

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • British Idiot.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,730 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,178 rep

Good record, but for me ¡UNO! and ¡DOS! are better.

No. This statement is just no.

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 14,248 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 14,794 rep

Dirty Rotten Bastards.

Amaze.

Wow.

Such not play

Much disappoint

Live

Many overrated 

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,233 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,317 rep

He's awful tall lookin' for a toddler.

• Darth Praxus and Not Anyone. like this

Vespertine

Vespertine
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,086 posts
  • Joined Nov 16, 2009
  • 450 rep

I have only listened to this album once since it came out. I really don't like it.

Walk Away is a good song, though. I also like Missing You.

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• 12,770 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,680 rep

Dirty Rotten Bastards.

Amaze.

Wow.

Such not play

Much disappoint

Live

meh. That song's honestly not that good. And what makes these songs bad (or good sometimes, but not in this case) is they lack the personal touch or feeling. Jesus of Suburbia, as said countless times, is about Billie coming out of Rodeo and shit. Dirty Rotten Bastards sounds like it was written by a drunk pirate. It doesn't sound serious enough to be taken seriously for the lyrics. 

Uno is by far the best in my opinion, because songs like Stay the Night, Carpe Diem, Fell for You, Loss of Control, Sweet 16, Rusty James... they all come from real experiences. They are pieces of Billie's life. 

Yeah, true. In hindsight I think it would have been a great idea if they'd done the same thing the Kaiser Chiefs did recently - you pay a certain amount for a set number of songs, and then build your own album out of all the tracks that were recorded for it. One album would definitely have been more successful than three, for obvious reasons.

That would work great for CDs, vinyl, singles, and promotion, wouldn't it?

"Hey, buy our new song from our album that doesn't have a name cause it's not really an album, and this song may not be on your album that's not really an album, and fuck everyone that appreciates organization in music, and fuck everyone that has a hard time choosing things. And fuck the record companies too, and fuck ourselves too because this is a horrible idea and we won't make any money"

Big Cheese

Big Cheese
  • Tom's Other Lackey

• 3,681 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,504 rep

I'll go bake a cake for the record right now...

That actually would've been really cool. The trilogy would be a hell of alot better if they did that... 

• Not Anyone. likes this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 14,248 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 14,794 rep

That would work great for CDs, vinyl, singles, and promotion, wouldn't it?

"Hey, buy our new song from our album that doesn't have a name cause it's not really an album, and this song may not be on your album that's not really an album, and fuck everyone that appreciates organization in music, and fuck everyone that has a hard time choosing things. And fuck the record companies too, and fuck ourselves too because this is a horrible idea and we won't make any money"

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Amazingly, the idea wasn't aimed at physical copies, although the Kaiser Chiefs did release their preferred track listing as a physical CD, under a different name. And it made the top 10 in the UK, which is better than the trilogy did. It went further than that, too - buyers could design their own artwork and upload that, along with their preferred track listing, back to the iTunes store, and every time someone downloaded it, the uploader would receive £1 of the profit. It was a brilliant idea if you ask me. It's not like the promotion for the trilogy was anywhere near successful, is it? It also wouldn't remotely affect single choices.

Yes, let's all gather round and feel sorry for people that have a hard time choosing things :lol:

And it would have a name. The Kaisers' album was called The Future Is Medieval, if you're interested. And it made a decent amount of money. So there.

Flyingdonutz

Flyingdonutz
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Joined Dec 28, 2012
  • 147 rep

my favourite of the trilogy, still nowhere near the likes of Dookie or American Idiot for me. Just a normal record. Like Insomniac or something. 

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 14,248 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 14,794 rep

Just a normal record. Like Insomniac or something. 

47083-Neil-Patrick-Harris-Speechless-Li3

• Darth Praxus likes this

Flyingdonutz

Flyingdonutz
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Joined Dec 28, 2012
  • 147 rep

And yeah no what the Kaisers did would absolutely not work for Green Day. You can't do that when you're like the biggest rock group in the world. It just wouldn't work. Green Day aren't really out to please the people either. They don't think of fans when they're releasing albums. 

Insomniac actually has less hit potential on it than Tre. Geek Stink Breath, Stuck With Me, and Brain Stew. Only Brain Stew actually lasted longer than the hype for the album did. Had Tre been marketed properly it would have likely done very well and songs like Brutal Love and 99 Revolutions would have done really well.

Todd

Todd

• 12,770 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,680 rep

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2...

Amazingly, the idea wasn't aimed at physical copies, although the Kaiser Chiefs did release their preferred track listing as a physical CD, under a different name. And it made the top 10 in the UK, which is better than the trilogy did. It went further than that, too - buyers could design their own artwork and upload that, along with their preferred track listing, back to the iTunes store, and every time someone downloaded it, the uploader would receive £1 of the profit. It was a brilliant idea if you ask me. It's not like the promotion for the trilogy was anywhere near successful, is it? It also wouldn't remotely affect single choices.

Yes, let's all gather round and feel sorry for people that have a hard time choosing things :lol:

And it would have a name. The Kaisers' album was called The Future Is Medieval, if you're interested. And it made a decent amount of money. So there.

Well anyways, I think it's a dumb idea. Not really opened to it. I doubt Green Day would do it anyways though because they're all about physical releases, having vinyl, and having album art. And Billie loves vinyl because of the album art being so big and stuff. This whole concept just seems like an organizational mess to me and is making me feel uncomfortable :lol:

• Not Anyone. likes this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 14,248 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 14,794 rep

And yeah no what the Kaisers did would absolutely not work for Green Day. You can't do that when you're like the biggest rock group in the world. It just wouldn't work. Green Day aren't really out to please the people either. They don't think of fans when they're releasing albums. 

Just like a band like Radiohead can't let fans choose how much to pay for their records? I don't see why it wouldn't work, why impose restrictions on release methods just because of how big the band is? I think it'd be amazing for the industry, which needs to get out of this rut that's becoming less and less viable as a business model. I'm not quite sure what you mean about not thinking of fans when releasing stuff, though. They seem to be more conscientious of fans than any other band I can think of.

Well anyways, I think it's a dumb idea. Not really opened to it. I doubt Green Day would do it anyways though because they're all about physical releases, having vinyl, and having album art. And Billie loves vinyl because of the album art being so big and stuff. This whole concept just seems like an organizational mess to me and is making me feel uncomfortable :lol:

:lol: Fair enough! The track listing of the Kaiser Chiefs album is pretty damn messy on Wiki, I'll give you that!

Insomniac actually has less hit potential on it than Tre. Geek Stink Breath, Stuck With Me, and Brain Stew. Only Brain Stew actually lasted longer than the hype for the album did. Had Tre been marketed properly it would have likely done very well and songs like Brutal Love and 99 Revolutions would have done really well.

Hit potential doesn't really interest me, though. Insomniac is their all-round best album, in my opinion. It's as focused as American Idiot, has a brilliant vibe, and only does what it needs to. There's a lot to be said for being concise. Plus it has Billie's best lyrics and Mike's best bass work.

• Big Cheese likes this

Todd

Todd

• 12,770 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,680 rep

Just like a band like Radiohead can't let fans choose how much to pay for their records? I don't see why it wouldn't work, why impose restrictions on release methods just because of how big the band is? I think it'd be amazing for the industry, which needs to get out of this rut that's becoming less and less viable as a business model. I'm not quite sure what you mean about not thinking of fans when releasing stuff, though. They seem to be more conscientious of fans than any other band I can think of.

:lol: Fair enough! The track listing of the Kaiser Chiefs album is pretty damn messy on Wiki, I'll give you that!

Hit potential doesn't really interest me, though. Insomniac is their all-round best album, in my opinion. It's as focused as American Idiot, has a brilliant vibe, and only does what it needs to. There's a lot to be said for being concise. Plus it has Billie's best lyrics and Mike's best bass work.

What about You Lied, Do Da Da, Don't Wanna Fall in Love, I Want to Be on TV, and Good Riddance. Those were all either originally meant to be on Insomniac or were released as Insomniac b-sides. What do you think insomniac would be like with those on it (just curious about your opinion here, not trying to make a point or anything)

Big Cheese

Big Cheese
  • Tom's Other Lackey

• 3,681 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,504 rep

What about You Lied, Do Da Da, Don't Wanna Fall in Love, I Want to Be on TV, and Good Riddance. Those were all either originally meant to be on Insomniac or were released as Insomniac b-sides. What do you think insomniac would be like with those on it (just curious about your opinion here, not trying to make a point or anything)

Sorry for butting in on the convo here, but I think those are best left off the record. They're good songs and all, but with Inomniac they chose the best songs and put them in the best sequence! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users