¡Tré! is one year (and 5 days) old

Alan86

And yeah no what the Kaisers did would absolutely not work for Green Day. You can't do that when you're like the biggest rock group in the world. It just wouldn't work. Green Day aren't really out to please the people either. They don't think of fans when they're releasing albums.

47083-Neil-Patrick-Harris-Speechless-Li3

Insomniac actually has less hit potential on it than Tre. Geek Stink Breath, Stuck With Me, and Brain Stew. Only Brain Stew actually lasted longer than the hype for the album did. Had Tre been marketed properly it would have likely done very well and songs like Brutal Love and 99 Revolutions would have done really well.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Amazingly, the idea wasn't aimed at physical copies, although the Kaiser Chiefs did release their preferred track listing as a physical CD, under a different name. And it made the top 10 in the UK, which is better than the trilogy did. It went further than that, too - buyers could design their own artwork and upload that, along with their preferred track listing, back to the iTunes store, and every time someone downloaded it, the uploader would receive £1 of the profit. It was a brilliant idea if you ask me. It's not like the promotion for the trilogy was anywhere near successful, is it? It also wouldn't remotely affect single choices.

Yes, let's all gather round and feel sorry for people that have a hard time choosing things :lol:

And it would have a name. The Kaisers' album was called The Future Is Medieval, if you're interested. And it made a decent amount of money. So there.

Well anyways, I think it's a dumb idea. Not really opened to it. I doubt Green Day would do it anyways though because they're all about physical releases, having vinyl, and having album art. And Billie loves vinyl because of the album art being so big and stuff. This whole concept just seems like an organizational mess to me and is making me feel uncomfortable :lol:

And yeah no what the Kaisers did would absolutely not work for Green Day. You can't do that when you're like the biggest rock group in the world. It just wouldn't work. Green Day aren't really out to please the people either. They don't think of fans when they're releasing albums.

Just like a band like Radiohead can't let fans choose how much to pay for their records? I don't see why it wouldn't work, why impose restrictions on release methods just because of how big the band is? I think it'd be amazing for the industry, which needs to get out of this rut that's becoming less and less viable as a business model. I'm not quite sure what you mean about not thinking of fans when releasing stuff, though. They seem to be more conscientious of fans than any other band I can think of.

Well anyways, I think it's a dumb idea. Not really opened to it. I doubt Green Day would do it anyways though because they're all about physical releases, having vinyl, and having album art. And Billie loves vinyl because of the album art being so big and stuff. This whole concept just seems like an organizational mess to me and is making me feel uncomfortable :lol:

:lol: Fair enough! The track listing of the Kaiser Chiefs album is pretty damn messy on Wiki, I'll give you that!

Insomniac actually has less hit potential on it than Tre. Geek Stink Breath, Stuck With Me, and Brain Stew. Only Brain Stew actually lasted longer than the hype for the album did. Had Tre been marketed properly it would have likely done very well and songs like Brutal Love and 99 Revolutions would have done really well.

Hit potential doesn't really interest me, though. Insomniac is their all-round best album, in my opinion. It's as focused as American Idiot, has a brilliant vibe, and only does what it needs to. There's a lot to be said for being concise. Plus it has Billie's best lyrics and Mike's best bass work.

Just like a band like Radiohead can't let fans choose how much to pay for their records? I don't see why it wouldn't work, why impose restrictions on release methods just because of how big the band is? I think it'd be amazing for the industry, which needs to get out of this rut that's becoming less and less viable as a business model. I'm not quite sure what you mean about not thinking of fans when releasing stuff, though. They seem to be more conscientious of fans than any other band I can think of.

:lol: Fair enough! The track listing of the Kaiser Chiefs album is pretty damn messy on Wiki, I'll give you that!

Hit potential doesn't really interest me, though. Insomniac is their all-round best album, in my opinion. It's as focused as American Idiot, has a brilliant vibe, and only does what it needs to. There's a lot to be said for being concise. Plus it has Billie's best lyrics and Mike's best bass work.

What about You Lied, Do Da Da, Don't Wanna Fall in Love, I Want to Be on TV, and Good Riddance. Those were all either originally meant to be on Insomniac or were released as Insomniac b-sides. What do you think insomniac would be like with those on it (just curious about your opinion here, not trying to make a point or anything)

What about You Lied, Do Da Da, Don't Wanna Fall in Love, I Want to Be on TV, and Good Riddance. Those were all either originally meant to be on Insomniac or were released as Insomniac b-sides. What do you think insomniac would be like with those on it (just curious about your opinion here, not trying to make a point or anything)

Sorry for butting in on the convo here, but I think those are best left off the record. They're good songs and all, but with Inomniac they chose the best songs and put them in the best sequence!

Sorry for butting in on the convo here, but I think those are best left off the record. They're good songs and all, but with Inomniac they chose the best songs and put them in the best sequence!

See, for me I wouldn't mind Do Da Da being at the end right after WC. I think it'd be a good closer. Now would I go into iTunes, put Do Da Da at the end and change the album art? No, that's what playlists are for :lol:. That's why what the Kaiser Chiefs did was kinda dumb, just release all the songs on one album, people can do whatever they want in playlists. Same with the trilogy. Don't complain about it, just put your favorite in order on a playlist

They're all good songs, Do Da Da is arguably better than Stuck With Me, but I think including them on the album would have lessened its impact. Especially You Lied, I just can't work out where it might fit. The thing with Insomniac is that it wouldn't work if it was longer than half an hour. The slowest, calmest song on there is Brain Stew, and that's just how it has to be. Part of its appeal is that it just turns up, pounds your ears for half an hour, and leaves.

See, for me I wouldn't mind Do Da Da being at the end right after WC. I think it'd be a good closer. Now would I go into iTunes, put Do Da Da at the end and change the album art? No, that's what playlists are for :lol:. That's why what the Kaiser Chiefs did was kinda dumb, just release all the songs on one album, people can do whatever they want in playlists. Same with the trilogy. Don't complain about it, just put your favorite in order on a playlist

Kaiser Chiefs did that as something fun for fans to do. I'm not a fan of theirs, but that would be fun! I don't think it's that dumb.

Everything you just said to justify that is based on nothing but your opinion, lol. Radiohead isn't Green Day, either. Green Day are an extremely mainstream oriented group. They have to release specific singles with massive priority on marketing or their albums just won't succeed, as we see with Tre. Hit potential is all that matters to record labels and that's exactly my point. Insomiac was simply a more angry Dookie, and was somehow more generic. All of the songs sound pretty much the exact same with the exception of Geek Stink Breath and Brain Stew. I guess that's what to expect from a punk record, though.

I don't see how they're conscientious of fans, really. I mean they aren't when writing an album. No band should be, and Green Day have said many times that they're concerned about pleasing themselves, and not anyone else with their music. They write it for them, not the fans. And that's good. They put on one of the best live shows in the world and treat touring with massive determination. Because they care about their fans. They use Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram to interact with their fans. And they give out hundreds of guitars to their fans. I mean that's all fucking fantastic and yeah, you're right, they care more about their fans in that sense than pretty much any other group, but I really doubt Billie sits there while writing songs thinking hmm I better change this up so the fans like it. Of course, they always write something like 21 Guns or Boulevard that they know people will love because they're musical geniuses, and they know damn well what people want to hear. That's why they're always extremely successful. But as far as overall song writing goes, I can guarantee you they don't give a damn what you and I think about their music. Because at it's core, music is a form of self expression, not an entertainment business. Although that's it's primary purpose nowadays..

They're all good songs, Do Da Da is arguably better than Stuck With Me, but I think including them on the album would have lessened its impact. Especially You Lied, I just can't work out where it might fit. The thing with Insomniac is that it wouldn't work if it was longer than half an hour. The slowest, calmest song on there is Brain Stew, and that's just how it has to be. Part of its appeal is that it just turns up, pounds your ears for half an hour, and leaves.

Oh gee, wouldn't this drive you nuts then

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Well, I'm sure they changed it for a reason.

Something really sad is that Green Day re-uploaded a lot of their videos, one of them being Boulevard. It has more views than Stray Heart's videos by nearly double and has actually been uploaded for a shorter amount of time. Which I guess is good and bad.

Everything you just said to justify that is based on nothing but your opinion, lol. Radiohead isn't Green Day, either. Green Day are an extremely mainstream oriented group. They have to release specific singles with massive priority on marketing or their albums just won't succeed, as we see with Tre. Hit potential is all that matters to record labels and that's exactly my point. Insomiac was simply a more angry Dookie, and was somehow more generic. All of the songs sound pretty much the exact same with the exception of Geek Stink Breath and Brain Stew. I guess that's what to expect from a punk record, though.

I don't see how they're conscientious of fans, really. I mean they aren't when writing an album. No band should be, and Green Day have said many times that they're concerned about pleasing themselves, and not anyone else with their music. They write it for them, not the fans. And that's good. They put on one of the best live shows in the world and treat touring with massive determination. Because they care about their fans. They use Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram to interact with their fans. And they give out hundreds of guitars to their fans. I mean that's all fucking fantastic and yeah, you're right, they care more about their fans in that sense than pretty much any other group, but I really doubt Billie sits there while writing songs thinking hmm I better change this up so the fans like it. Of course, they always write something like 21 Guns or Boulevard that they know people will love because they're musical geniuses, and they know damn well what people want to hear. That's why they're always extremely successful. But as far as overall song writing goes, I can guarantee you they don't give a damn what you and I think about their music. Because at it's core, music is a form of self expression, not an entertainment business. Although that's it's primary purpose nowadays..

I don't see how else I'm meant to justify why an album is my favourite, of course it's nothing but opinion. I know there's a big difference between Green Day and Radiohead, but they're both massively successful bands - I'd argue it's a bigger achievement on Radiohead's part, given how downright weird a lot of their stuff is. The point I was trying to make is that, if Green Day wanted to do it, they could. They don't have to go down the usual route to release an album, especially if we're meant to accept that they don't do it for the fans. It was a massive shock when Radiohead released In Rainbows the way they did, but it paid off. I guess the only reason Green Day are far less likely to do it is because they're on a label and not self releasing. So it's not even that Green Day couldn't or wouldn't do it, it's just that they're not allowed to at this point. It probably is never going to happen for various reasons, but if it ever did I think it'd be a big success.

Panic Song sounds different to everything else on Insomniac as well. But the songs sounding similar is part of its appeal for me - massively versatile albums like Warning or 21st Century Breakdown are all well and good, but they also appear to lack focus and can be a bit of a drag to listen to. Insomniac is perfect if you're in a specific mood. Sure, it was never going to yield many hits because it's not radio friendly enough, but so what? The mainstream appeal of a song isn't what makes it good or bad.

Oh right, I see what you mean, yeah. And I agree, of course, writing for themselves is the best thing any musician can do. But I'd be surprised if they weren't influenced by the thought in the back of their minds that they want the music to be a success. 21 Guns is a perfect example of them thinking about sales and the fans. I don't think the same can be said of BOBD because it was a change of direction at the time and it was a big surprise that it was so successful. Lots of stuff they've tried to write since than has tried to emulate that song, and it's obvious that it's less sincere in a lot of cases.

Obviously there's no argument with any of what you say about their live shows and fan interaction, they're amazing for that.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Oh sweet Jesus what is going on?!

What don't you like about it? The big hitters such as Brutal Love and X-Kid are pretty similar to stuff they've been doing since Warning.

Well, those two songs along with X-Kid are the only songs I enjoy from Tre. I don't like it because it's just not what I want to here from GD. I haven't enjoyed much of them past Nimrod so I guess it's just because I'm more of a fan of the material up until that point.

No. This statement is just no.

Common dude, for tastes there are colors! Opinions could be so diverse, it is not a "statement" ;)

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Thats a studio list thats just the list they have to know whats recorded and whats needs to be done/re done not exactly how it'll be on the album...

This album has some of my favourites from the trilogy...99 Revolutions, Brutal Love, Missing You, X-Kid, 8th Avenue Serenade...I think it's my favourite of the three albums.

Oh shit I forgot about its birthtre (yep, kill me for that one)! It feels like yesterday I was listening to the iHeartRadio preview.

Oh shit I forgot about its birthtre (yep, kill me for that one)!

Go outside, and think about what you've done.

Archived