Top 5 Green Day Lyrics

Fuzz

1. "Home is where your heart is, but what a shame; cause everyone's heart doesn't beat the same." - Jesus of Suburbia

This has been talked about lots here so I won't bother, but those have always been my favorite lyrics of theirs ever.

2. "She's figured out that all her doubts were someone else's point of view" - She

I've always liked that line cause it's kind of the turning point in the song, or the turning point in someone's life. Cause the song starts off with "a sullen riot penetrating through her mind" which is obviously very dark and anxious, then it transitions into the bolded line above and it's just saying that "hey, all the shitty things you think about yourself aren't really you, it's just someone else" and I just really like that. It's hopeful, kinda.

3. "Why does my life have to be so small when death is forever, and does forever have a life to call its own?" - One of my Lies

Okay ngl this one really fucked me up once I really thought about it because WOW WHAT EVEN. It's just... it really puts things into perspective, I guess, like life-and-death-wise when you look at the first part of it, and then there's the second half that's honestly kind of weird to think about. Like, I've always thought of it as kind of a speculative immortality thing, like if you were to live forever, would it even be a life? Or is life something that happens once and has to come to an inevitable end?

4. "A conscientious objector to the war that's in my mind" - Castaway

Again, we've talked about this one in here, but I just love it cause it's basically saying that there's so much conflict inside his mind and all he wants is for it to stop, which pretty much everyone can relate to. I certainly can.

5. "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies; this is the dawning of the rest of our lives" - Holiday

I've always loved this line. I love how it's kind of a realization of sorts, sort of like you're finally realizing all the bullshit and lies in the world and once you begin to see that, it's the beginning of a new life. In a way. I just really like it.

And there's tons more, but those are the ones that came to me at the moment.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3. "Why does my life have to be so small when death is forever, and does forever have a life to call its own?" - One of my Lies

THIS. It's incredible to me that a teenager wrote this line. It's amazing. One of My Lies is an extremely underrated song altogether.

Can't really think of more for a full list off the top of my head but pretty much the entirety of Holiday, Jesus of Suburbia, Macy's Day Parade, Panic Song (another song criminally underrated in the lyrics department; everyone always focuses on the intro), and East Jesus Nowhere are amazing.

My favourites:

"Fucked without a kiss again, dragged it through the mud"- just such a sad, empty way that a lot of us end up in dead end (pun intended) relationships

"I may be dumb but I'm not stupid enough to stay with you"- makes me smile

"The future's in my living room"- again, life just passing me by, because of my apathy.

Of course, "I drank a six pack of apathy"

Hmmmm...loads more, but I will have to ponder. It seems that I tend to relate mostly to angry/sad/resigned lyrics the most. Maybe something in me resonates at that same frequency!

5. "Home is where you heart is but what a shame, cause everyone's heart doesn't beat the same" - Jesus of Suburbia (made me realize the motto was just a lie, haha.) 4. "So what ails you is what impales you" - Restless Heart Syndrome, (just another realization )

3. "Nothing's ever built to last" -21 Guns (true to life, made this my personal motto)

2. "Well the bigger that you come, oh the harder you're gonna fall" -Walk Away (common but the delivery is perfect)

1B. "Is there any cure for this disease someone called love" -80 (so sweet)

1A. "One light, one mind, flashing in the dark, blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts" -Minority (i divided my top lyrics into two, I just can't decide.)

Ok! time for some of my more positive choices. Contrary to my username, I also enjoy a lot of the more "sappy" lyrics:

"If you live with me I'll die for you and this compromise"-who wouldn't want to hear that?

"Well look this direction, I know it's not perfection, it's just me, I want to bring you up again now", again, so sweet and honest.

"I've been up all damn night long, my pulse is beating, my love is yearning"

"Kiss the demons out of my dreams. Give me a long kiss good night and everything will be alright...." Just wanting someone to take care of you when you're hurting.

Anyways, these lyrics are obviously much more focused on the longing for love... So sweet...

Today is the first day of the rest, of our lives - this line is just filled with so much optimism and hope. Also later in Church on Sunday, the line 'Tears down her face, leaving traces of my mistakes' is a well written line as well, just reminding you that your actions can really effect other people.

All my other lines have basically been said, just thought i would add this one.

"Perfect picture of bad health, another notch scratched on my belt, the future just ain't what it used to be." Uptight - I chose this part because It totally describe what I feel right now, at 18 yo I had so many expectations for my life, but now that I am 23 and I've failed all my plans my future has become uncertain and dark.

"Wasted youth and a fistful of ideals, I had a young and optimistic point of view" The Grouch - I chose this part of the song because to me It describes the bitterness that you can feel towards yourself for being so full of ideals and so certain of your potential, to the point that when you realize that none of that became true you feel betrayed by yourself, and It all seem like a waste.

"I'm a victim of my symptom, I am my own worst enemy" Restless Heart Syndrome - It describes so well how some people feel towards their mental illness, we feel like victims of the war that's inside our heads, that's destroying our life.. but the only enemy that we see in the mirror is ourselves.

"When It's time to live and let die, and you can't get another try, something inside this heart has died, you're in ruins." 21 Guns - Best part of the song,to me It describes the feeling of helplessness when you lose someone that you know you can't have back (because of death or because of a break up), the image of standing still and not being capable of fix things, but only let them be.

"But I don't wanna make a plan for a day far away, while I'm young and while I'm able all I wanna do is.." J.A.R. - The feeling of not want to do what society expects you to do at your age, but continuing to do whatever the hell you want with your existence.

That's It.Was kinda hard to express my exact thoughts on the lyrics in a language that's not my first.. but I hope It's clear enough.

Cos history will prove itself in the halls of justice and arseholes

Again, another brave line by Billie. Openly discussing an area of the body which, let's face it, no-one likes talking about, but here is Billie discussing the important role of arseholes in history. Great stuff.

Since I've done this on a couple of other threads I'm gonna put my most obscure favorites.

"Confess my loneliness at midnight my darkest hour"-Dream Catcher

Pretty much how I feel at night. I can't fall asleep for shit. And I would replace almost any song from the trilogy to have had this one on it.

"Olivia, Olivia I'll give you my best, safe in my arms I'll lay you to rest, you can borrow my coat, you where the dress Olivia, Olivia come follow me home"-Olivia

This little song is really pretty and it may be about his mom but I love how comforting and sweet those lines are. And the "you wear the dress" part is probably talking about something specific only Billie knows but I think it's a cute line that could simply be saying he likes that dress on her.

"Black rose of death, in my fist I clutch, thorns shred my finger tips, and drips toxic blood"-Rotting

Lovely

"Bad sex, buy me a train wreck, something for my troubled mind"-Brutal Love

while the trilogy lyrics are weak I love how low Billie seems throughout Dos and Tre and this line reminds me of why I can relate to Billie's lyrics so well in the first place.

"It don't take a genius to be an idiot, it don't take a Jesus to save my soul"-The Pedestrian

Though technically not a Green Day song it is still BIllie 's lyrics and when he says to be an idiot I think he's referring to American Idiot and all the success it had and he's saying he's not some brilliant poet he just rights what he feels and he didn't get what he has from being smart or planning he just did what came naturally.

Oh and all of American Idiot. I could have probably done five just on that album so I ignored it

Waiting

"Downtown lights will be shining, on me like a new diamond, ring out under the midnight hour"

It's about hope. You get your old spirit back or new spirit to do something you have dreamed for and nothing's will stopped you.

Minority

"One Light, one mind, flashing in the dark, blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts"

I think it's a situation. There is a light flashing in the dark, where people is getting out as one mind. And those fucking system get blinded by the thousand of a thousand broken hearts.

"You'll never find it now, it's buried deep with your identity"

I think in this song Billie Joe is missing 924 Gilman Street. He is getting kicked out from there and he will not try to turn back. But deep inside his heart, he's still missing 924.

Having A Blast

"Do you ever think back to another time? Does it bring you so down that you thought you lost your mind."

Always happened to me. Always my favourite.

Redundant

"I cannot speak, i lost my voice, I'm speechless, and redundant."

Doing the same things everyday, bored, nothing to do, empty, fucked up.

And you trilogy haters are adorable. Let's not act like Billy always hasn't had some strange lyrics here and there. It's just more out there because we have 30 something songs to judge compared to individual albums.

There is a bit of a difference between his lyrics then and now, at least to me. On the trilogy, his lyrics are so cheesy, some of them not so bad (the lyrics to "X-Kid" were okay), but most of the songs have lines that just make me cringe. Whereas way back when, he'd have certain lines in songs that make you go "WTF?".

Anyways, some other lines I like:

"I may be dumb but I'm not stupid enough to stay with you" - "Stuart and the Ave."

"I'll send a letter to that girl asking her to be my own, but my pen is writing wrong so I'll say it in a song" - "Dry Ice"

"Living well and dressed to kill but she looks like hell to me" - "Fashion Victim" (I actually like all the lyrics to this song)

"Now I cannot speak, I've lost my voice, I'm speechless and redundant 'cause "I love you" is not enough, I'm lost for words" - "Redundant"

Okay, I made a top 5!

"

Praise liberty, the freedom to obey - 21st Century Breakdown

As I said earlier, I love lyrics that are contradictions or plays on words, this is a great example of that.

I love reading this thread, I don't have five but one I relate to this time of year...

"You're a stray for the salvation army. There is no place like home when you got no place to go"

"No culture's worth a stream of piss or a bullet in my face". No Pride

My favorite line ever, about a subject that always wondered when I was a kid: Why some people feel more important than other if they are only people?

Cos history will prove itself in the halls of justice and arseholes

Again, another brave line by Billie. Openly discussing an area of the body which, let's face it, no-one likes talking about, but here is Billie discussing the important role of arseholes in history. Great stuff.

It's lost souls, not arse holes.

I like this.

1)" She, shes figured out all her doubts were someone else's point of view. Waking up this time to smash the silence with the brick of self-control" -She

This is for sure my number one, and why I have the "She" album art tattooed on me. I have struggled with a lot of body issues and eating disorders in the past, and I am finally beginning to overcome it and get healthy with self control again.

2)"I got no motivation, where is my motivation? No time for a motivation, smoking my inspiration." -Longview

Totally my current situation in college. Literally right now. Being on GDC high right now, after joining almost 8 years ago.

3) "There's a plague inside of me, eating at my disposition. Nothing's left." - Panic Song

With a lifelong battle with anxiety and an ED, this song hits me hard at home.

4) "Oh therapy, can you please fill the void? Am I retarded or am I just overjoyed? Nobody's perfect and I stand accused." -Jesus of Suburbia

I can relate 100% now that i have found a good therapist.

5) " 'Caution: Police Line' you better not cross. Is the cop or am I the one whose really dangerous?" - Warning

Whoa made me question my relationship with authority in my adolescent days.

• 3 weeks later...

"You found a home in all your scars and ammunition" and "don't put away your burning light!" are my favourite lyrics of all time. The meanings are simple but they tell you so much about the character. She's accepted her past and put it to rest, and is also ready to confidently take on the future. They're really uplifting and hopeful, they kind of personify positivity. They're also a great way to show the harsh contrast between this side of the character and the one we see later on the album, in the other Viva La Gloria. And the first one is just such an awesome metaphor for what he's trying to convey.

"My heart is beating from me / I'm standing all alone / Please call me only / If you are coming home" is another one I really love. It's similar to the VLG ones in that it's simple but says so much and really personifies a feeling/situation.

"Where do we go from here and what did you do with the directions? / Promise me no dead end streets and I'll guarantee we'll have the road" - these lines basically describe and sum up relationship problems and the feelings that go with them. It's a great portrayal of how you can feel so lost in that - you have to accept that it's not all perfect and that sometimes, you have to fight to find the road again. Taught me a lot when I was first figuring out how a lifelong relationship works.

"Everything that I want / I want from you / But I just can't have you" - very simple and a lot of people don't like it for that reason, but it works in the song and it's so easy to identify with. Sometimes you don't need an elaborate metaphor to get a message across. It's also quite clever in that it gives the song another dimension by contradicting the verses. Don't kill me, I'm possibly biased because I love the song so much, ha.

So hard to pick five. Billie has always been my favourite lyricist, I could keep going for ages :lol:

Archived