Green Day to take a break after Australian dates

Iain

I think this is really stupid after pretty much blowing off the u.s. just because i dont live on the coast doesnt mean i shouldnt be able to see my favorite band.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is really stupid after pretty much blowing off the u.s. just because i dont live on the coast doesnt mean i shouldnt be able to see my favorite band.

Entitlement much? I travelled 5000 kilometres to see them, and it was worth blowing £800...

And? Distance doesn't stop people from going to shows. I had a friend who traveled from England to Pittsburgh a few years back to see Mötley Crüe with me. It takes a while to save up the money, but if you really want to see a band, you can make it happen. People travel all over the world to see bands. If you're that mad, save up. I'm sure you can travel as well.

don't hate us

we're having a hiatus

not a haiku

(the joke's on you)

A haiku is structured as 5, 7, 5...I've fixed it for you below

Please do not hate us

We will be on hiatus

But not a haiku

:-)

Yeah anyone capable of having their own income can travel if they really want to, it's more a case of choosing priorities than anything else. Most of the people who've been around the world to see Green Day aren't any richer than anyone else, they just choose to spend their money differently. If the only thing stopping you is that you're not willing to travel then you're probably not that desperate to see the band.

I love that excitement, knowing we're about to get something really fucking good!

An excitement that I haven't felt since the 21CBD days :whistle

What? No one remembers how nuts we were the night Green Day played a secret show revealing 20 brand new songs at the Tiki Bar? Or was that not exciting?

I think some people here are forgetting that the reason they toured so much for AI and 21CB is because they were actually successful albums... :P The Trilogy, as sad as it is to say, was not successful in terms of sales at all, and they're not going to tour for albums that didn't do well sales wise. It's really as simple as that, as much as I was hoping for another leg, it's not surprising the Trilogy era is (potentially) ending here, especially with all the extra projects Billie has going on at the moment. Yes, they said they were going to do more shows - but you can't always take what they say for granted, anything can happen. We don't know how long of a break this is, there could be more shows in 2014 (I'm doubting it, but you never know). I'm hoping they'll take a year or two of rest and come back with an album that will knock everyone off their feet, like AI did when it came out.

Dookie and Insomniac got two full years of touring, plus part of 1996, which they cancelled cause they were so exhausted.

So would people rather have a new tour announced but then get the sad news that their show is cancelled, or wait for Green Day to come back strong and rested? It wasn't too long ago that Green Day cancelled their whole 2013 tour. They rebooked only like half of the dates, we would've had a much bigger trilogy tour if it wasn't for that, but Billie also needed his rehab, who knows what would've happened if he didn't get that. Quality shows vs. Quantity shows.

Entitlement much? I travelled 5000 kilometres to see them, and it was worth blowing £800...

That's commitment! Where did you go? The States?

He's not the only one who travelled that far. ;)

Personally, I'm the most excited when it comes to seeing them live. This feeling at a show can't be compared with anything else, it's not so much about the albums. If we're in front of a longer break, then that's what I'm going to miss the most. Seeing them onstage, enjoying the songs I love, old ones as well as new ones, travelling, meeting the GD family.

The amount of nasty comments from pretty much everybody on the news item concerning this is scary. Can't you folks love each other in your god damned holy month thingy? Tut-tut.

And yay, more time to save money for the next tour. :)

He's not the only one who travelled that far. ;)

Personally, I'm the most excited when it comes to seeing them live. This feeling at a show can't be compared with anything else, it's not so much about the albums. If we're in front of a longer break, then that's what I'm going to miss the most. Seeing them onstage, enjoying the songs I love, old ones as well as new ones, travelling, meeting the GD family.

There are plenty of live footage on You Tube and isn't "The GD Family" name for the fan base???

Green Day are Billie Joe Armstrong; Mike Dirnt, Tre Cool and Jason White - their familes have nothing to do with and are not part of Green Day.

There are plenty of live footage on You Tube and isn't "The GD Family" name for the fan base???

Green Day are Billie Joe Armstrong; Mike Dirnt, Tre Cool and Jason White - their familes have nothing to do with and are not part of Green Day.

Wind your neck in, meeting other fans is what she meant.

No no no no. You can't compare watching a Green Day video on youtube to actually seeing them live. What the hell

Idiot Nation is the name of the fan base...

And please stop with the dissing of their family its scary as he'll how you are hung up with them...

Seems like you got that completely wrong. Of course I'm talking about my friends in the Green Day world when I say Green Day family. And a video can't be compared with the feeling of standing at the barrier.

Maybe take a breake just means no touring, sommething tells me they dont even know what they would do after the Australian tour.

after all its Green Day so spect the unespected (that even Green Day dont spect) ;)

News just in my 100% completely reliable source has informed me that Green Day are in fact breaking up in order to form a maypole dancing group called Green May. Sorry to break to news.

I didn't realise just how ridiculous the media reaction to this has been...I thought it was just fans who were (I guess understandable to a degree) were a bit upset at the prospect of the band not being around for a few months/years and missing them or whatever but noone else would give a crap or in any way react because it's just typical fan reaction or whatever...then I just noticed Belfast Telegraph had it in their entertainment section...wtf haha. Then i googled and it's freaking everywhere. Geez.

I didn't realise just how ridiculous the media reaction to this has been...I thought it was just fans who were (I guess understandable to a degree) were a bit upset at the prospect of the band not being around for a few months/years and missing them or whatever but noone else would give a crap or in any way react because it's just typical fan reaction or whatever...then I just noticed Belfast Telegraph had it in their entertainment section...wtf haha. Then i googled and it's freaking everywhere. Geez.

So true - Blur just cancelled BDO in January here & I logged on again today & there was another article saying GD won't be another festival cancellation they are taking a break blabla. Just ridiculous.

I hope that they get the rest that they want here. My only concern is the 2013 tour of the west coast that got less that 1/3 of the dates re-booked. I hope they do something about these dates soon-ish. It's been a little over a year since they all got cancelled and there has been no word yet on the dates being restored or re-booked.

I will say I'm pleased that I have more time to save money to blow on them. Well done, GD.

my thoughts exactly. Now I can save :runaround:

This "news" just confirms what most of us already knew in the first place. I'm honestly glad they're getting some rest, especially Mike who has the youngest kids (that sad part in Cuatro when he's leaving them and says something like "Daddy's gotta make you miserable so others can be happy" :cry: ). I honestly think the toughest wait for us fans was the 5 years between AI and 21CB... because literally NOTHING happened (except for FHT). But I really doubt it will be that long for something else. But even if it is, at least we have Broadway Idiot, the new tour of the musical, Foreverly, and the trilogy. Every now and then I come across songs from the trilogy that I skipped a lot in the beginning, and now I'm really starting to dig them... so it's like a rewrapped Christmas gift :thumbsup:

Long story short, our boys are winding down, and it is much well-deserved. And hey, they're much more tech-savvy now with their instagrams, so we'll always be connected in one way or the other.

Yeah anyone capable of having their own income can travel if they really want to, it's more a case of choosing priorities than anything else. Most of the people who've been around the world to see Green Day aren't any richer than anyone else, they just choose to spend their money differently. If the only thing stopping you is that you're not willing to travel then you're probably not that desperate to see the band.

Sometimes it's difficult to travel if you have other commitments though — school, family, job with limited time off, etc. So the closer shows are more convenient. Yes, convenient... I know it's not life or death and it's not the band's responsibility to cater to me by any means, but it's very frustrating when they bypass certain areas of the country. Like when Cleveland got canceled, and I had to make all the last minute travel plans and make sure I had time off work to a show four hours away in Pittsburgh, as opposed to one.

Granted, I know you traveled across the ocean to see that one AND got kicked in the face, so I can't complain too much. :lol:

But there's just something about the thought of hearing Billie scream "Ohiooo!" in front of me that makes me sad, yet weirdly optimistic all at the same time. Someday... :cry:

Indeed! Saw them in Brooklyn, as well as seeing NYC I'll never forget that gig, absolutely amazing.

That and meeting Tré, that was an experience I'll hold dearly because Tré, from what I've heard and known, is a person who is a bit more...secluded, as he likes to keep himself to himself, unlike Billie or Mike who are very open, and being a person who likes to mind his own business isn't a bad thing. However, for him to sign my artwork as well as people who had copies of my artwork, as well as give me a guitar pick is something I'm grateful for. It was fantastic.

Worth £800, the jet lag, and going to NYC by myself. Absolutely brilliant. FYI, I've had a few drinks before writing this...

As aforementioned, a few drinks happened before writing this but I think I speak for a lot of people when I say shut up, I mean, just SHUT UP. I try to be nice from time to time but you're so high strung I've lost any sympathy for you whatsoever.

Archived