Heart Like A Hand Grenade

burnout409

2 minutes ago, Brutal-xkid2 said:

In 1994 Billie and Mike would call everyone motherfuckers, and here youre telling me off over a funny apperance coincidence that  i pointed on. American tolerance at its best?

This was very redundant.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, hugh2oneill said:

As a massive Green Day fan, this DVD was heartbreakingly disappointing. We were promised an insight into the real nitty gritty of recording the album. I wanted to see mistakes, ideas brainstormed for different guitar parts/sounds. Tre trying different snares etc etc. In total, in this DVD, there's probably about 3 minutes of this type of scene.

It was cool to see the conversation about the logo, but that didn't even last long. It's exciting to hear conversations like that, and I'm sure there were way more conversations like that, that weren't included in the final cut. Instead there were a load of pointless, stupid conversations - which, granted, shows the fun, childish side of Green Day, but we know they're funny, we've seen that before, I wanted to see them actually hard at work, pouring their souls into this album.

Finally, the fact that they played every single song the whole way through was a waste of time. The footage from the concert wasn't that exciting, there are much better performances to be found of those tracks online. Someone please tell me... What was the fucking point in 9 minutes of weird dancing to the ALBUM AUDIO of Jesus of Suburbia? Waste of valuable time on this DVD that could have been filled with stuff we've never seen/heard before.

Look, I'll always be a die-hard fan of Green Day. But whoever is responsible for the DVD turning out like this - whether it's John Roeker, Warner Bros, Green Day or a mix of all three - has made a reeeal misjudgment. I was heartbroken 10 years ago when I heard that Heart Like a Hand Grenade would not be released. Then, to see it FINALLY released, but for it to be this disappointing, it's a disgrace.

It's not a documentary. About 5 minutes of it is a documentary.

Please discuss, I want to know what you all genuinely think. Don't mindlessly defend GD for the sake of it. Say what you thought of the doc.

I actually really agree. I did like it and i love the goofy side of Green Day but they should of have shown more of the nitty gritty stuff as well! I totally loved the logo conversation but even then it was very short. I really like that stuff, playing all the songs the whole way through was pretty pointless though. 

Actually I was sort of expecting something a lot worse... have you seen Live Freaky Die Freaky? Worst thing ever. 

10 hours ago, Brutal-xkid2 said:

In 1994 Billie and Mike would call everyone motherfuckers, and here youre telling me off over a funny apperance coincidence that  i pointed on. American tolerance at its best?

British tolerance actually :P. But yeah just letting you know to try to keep posts on topic.

• 4 months later...

AXS TV to Premiere 9 Acclaimed Music Documentaries In All-New REEL TO REEL Series

The series kicks off on May 31 at 9pE, with GRAMMY-winning punk rockers Green Day in HEART LIKE A HAND GRENADE. HEART LIKE A HAND GRENADE chronicles the making of the 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee Green Day's George W. Bush-era protest album American Idiot. The album went on to win a GRAMMY and was turned into a Broadway Musical of the same name.

HEART LIKE A HAND GRENADE (2015)Tues., May 31 at 9pE
Filmed over the course of 15 months, this art house-style feature provides an in-depth look at the making of Green Day'slandmark seventh album AMERICAN IDIOT, as the band enters the studio to record and discuss the music that would ultimately catapult them back into the mainstream and forever cement their status as true punk heroes.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/article/AXS-TV-to-Premiere-9-Acclaimed-Music-Documentaries-In-All-New-REEL-TO-REEL-Series-20160503

• 4 weeks later...

John Roecker ‏@RoeckerSvengali 14 hours ago

Homecoming and lots of confetti. Still find it in my camera case. @greenday

John Roecker ‏@RoeckerSvengali 14 hours ago

1st time the song AI was performed live. At the Olympic where they filmed the film Rocky! #greenday

John Roecker ‏@RoeckerSvengali 15 hours ago

2nd part of the recording of the album we had to move to Capitol Records cos Paul @PaulMcCartney need the studio. #greenday

The boys will be happy that the blurring parts were very big. Also Tre's undies are still in my tree. #greenday

Mikes Bday.Started w/ cake and ended with @DirntOfficial and Tre naked in my hot tub in 4 in the morn. My neighbors hate me. #greenday

This was filmed at the Fonda next door to the first place Green Day played in LA a club called Raji's. Now a parking lot. #greenday

We had to blur out the photo of Kathleen Hanna because we could not find the photographer. Rebel Girl! #greenday

Letter Bomb was called Clusterbomb. Check out this live performance. It is incredible. #greenday

I shot over 300 hours of footage. There is a 6 hour version of this film that one day maybe released. #greenday

SIR Studios in Hollywood where G.D. did their rehearsal for the upcoming tour.This is the same Stage that the band "X" filmed their doc

John Roecker ‏@RoeckerSvengali 16 hours ago

The first cut of this film got lost. Ten years later we had to find all the tapes and redo the film. #greenday

Does anyone know if there is a full version of the concert they cut to during the film?

26 minutes ago, inthehallwaynow said:

Does anyone know if there is a full version of the concert they cut to during the film?

@Todd Do you know the answer to this? (seen you ask a few times so thought I'd help :P)

40 minutes ago, Hermione said:

@Todd Do you know the answer to this? (seen you ask a few times so thought I'd help :P)

hahah thank ya i felt like i was yelling into the abyss! I feel dumb now though cause im not sure why i didnt ask todd in the first place haha thats a great idea :lol:

I watched the first half hour, and was sorely disappointed. So, the band played a few songs and had background dancers dance to it. I was hoping the thought processes that went into creating the masterpiece, not whatever the hell that was.

I have the dvd and like it. I don't like the dancing part but I just skip over it. 

HLAHG was ok, but I would have preferred more talking about the songs rather than them goofing around. The best part was when Billie was talking about the criticism that Warning got- that bit was hilarious. 

2 hours ago, inthehallwaynow said:

possibly in the 300 hours of footage.

I shot over 300 hours of footage. There is a 6 hour version of this film that one day maybe released. #greenday

Not the teasing again, please. We've waited a decade for it and we didn't get what we wanted.

Either give us the 6-hour one or don't talk about it tbh

5 hours ago, inthehallwaynow said:

The link probably needs to be reuploaded, and it's only mp3, but here it is! American Idiot and Knowledge are from a different show if I remember correctly. 

My gf got me the DVD for my birthday, so I'm pretty happy! I've been asking for it since Christmas.

Jeff Mozey ‏@jeffmozeyphoto May 31

@AXSTVConcerts thank you for showing this film from my fav band #greenday been a fan since I was 14 yrs old. @RoeckerSvengali amazing film!

Gracie Henderson ‏@TheGracieH_ May 31

#greenday @AXSTV @RoeckerSvengali am I the only one who noticed that bj has refrained from doing the famous ya know through this entire film

AXS TV Concerts Verified account ‏@AXSTVConcerts May 31

What was your favorite scene from "Heart Like A Hand Grenade?" #GreenDay

On 6/1/2016 at 8:58 PM, Ana. said:

Not the teasing again, please. We've waited a decade for it and we didn't get what we wanted.

Either give us the 6-hour one or don't talk about it tbh

To be fair he's said that all along, and pretty sure it's true. Filmmaking is his job and he's going to promote his work on his own social media, it might help him get it released if fans know about it and it shows there's a demand to see it. Hopefully everyone knows by now that just because he wants it out/is trying to get it out that doesn't mean it'll definitely happen though!

8 minutes ago, Hermione said:

To be fair he's said that all along, and pretty sure it's true. Filmmaking is his job and he's going to promote his work on his own social media, it might help him get it released if fans know about it and it shows there's a demand to see it. Hopefully everyone knows by now that just because he wants it out/is trying to get it out that doesn't mean it'll definitely happen though!

I know it's his work and he can promote it but what's the point in promoting something that's not out? He wants it released and we've been very vocal about wanting exactly that but that's not what we got. I'm sure the management or whoever is responsible for releasing it are aware that we expected a lot more from it. 

And because nobody knows whether we'll ever see it, teasing it is just mean. It's just frustrating to me to keep reading about the hundreds of hours of footage that they filmed, yet we don't get to see (almost) any of it. :(

25 minutes ago, Ana. said:

I know it's his work and he can promote it but what's the point in promoting something that's not out? He wants it released and we've been very vocal about wanting exactly that but that's not what we got. I'm sure the management or whoever is responsible for releasing it are aware that we expected a lot more from it. 

And because nobody knows whether we'll ever see it, teasing it is just mean. It's just frustrating to me to keep reading about the hundreds of hours of footage that they filmed, yet we don't get to see (almost) any of it. :(

Yeah it is annoying when he acts like it's more certain/likely that something's happening than it is. As far as just mentioning there might be a reason for it though, like maybe he wants to keep people's interest in it going so he can say there's demand for it to be released, and so people who might buy it don't forget about it? Not sure. At least we know not to get our hopes up now anyway :P 

• 2 months later...

So I finally got around to watching this. I expected more footage from writing and recording the album and the members discussing the details, just like many people have said before me. The weird dancing bits got me thinking I downloaded a damaged file really. :lol: Still, my favorite part has got to be when Billie bitches about all those comments on internet. Got me thinking about what he'd think now if he read the threads for RevRad and Bang Bang. 

I just realized I still haven't watched this... whoops. Better add that to my list of things to do before #RevRad comes out. :lol: #badfan

2 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I just realized I still haven't watched this... whoops. Better add that to my list of things to do before #RevRad comes out. :lol: #badfan

it's mainly a green day concert with the studio music over it lmao

1 minute ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I just watched it for the first time, two nights ago. Better late than never.

Archived