Heart Like A Hand Grenade

burnout409

Finally watched it :happy:

I really like :) it was awesome

but i have a question: Spoiler alert

there is a scene where billie joe cries as mike plays on the bass (i think it was the song give ma novacaine). is there anyone who knows why he cries?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, LisaBJA said:

there is a scene where billie joe cries as mike plays on the bass (i think it was the song give ma novacaine). is there anyone who knows why he cries?

It was Whatsername not Give Me Novacaine.  I think it is because it was the final song of the album and he had worked so hard on it and was so passionate about it.  He was just so overcome that it was actually finished and it had developed so well.  At least that is what I thought.  

This is not for sale here yet, and I can't find it on torrent sites.

why is life in Argentina so hard :(

8 hours ago, LisaBJA said:

It was Whatsername, not Give Me Novacaine, like JJI74907650 said. He probably cried because the song is fucking beautiful and mean alot to him , guess.

Also, why is someone crying a spoiler? This film isn't exactly the type of film that warrents spoiler alerts. It's not like the film has a huge plot that if leaked would ruin the film...

1 hour ago, Dirty Liar said:

It was Whatsername, not Give Me Novacaine, like JJI74907650 said. He probably cried because the song is fucking beautiful and mean alot to him , guess.

Also, why is someone crying a spoiler? This film isn't exactly the type of film that warrents spoiler alerts. It's not like the film has a huge plot that if leaked would ruin the film...

She's just being considerate. But yeah no need to worry about spoilers in this thread, if people click on it they can expect to see people talking about what happens in the film.

Billie crying during Whatsername was one of my favourite parts...It was one of the rare times we see him genuinely emotional and he seems more human somehow (or down to earth...hard to explain exactly what I mean but I think you get it). Anyway I figured he was crying less about the end of the recording process (since there is no actual way of knowing that this was even the last day/end...plus they would have not just recorded Mike's bass line and walked out of the studio!) and more likely crying about the song/subject of the song. It's a pretty emotional song after all about someone who clearly has had a massive impact on Billie's life (and continues to impact his music/influence his writing). Maybe finally hearing it played back brought him to tears. Makes perfect sense to me.

16 minutes ago, st_trillie said:

Billie crying during Whatsername was one of my favourite parts...It was one of the rare times we see him genuinely emotional and he seems more human somehow (or down to earth...hard to explain exactly what I mean but I think you get it). Anyway I figured he was crying less about the end of the recording process (since there is no actual way of knowing that this was even the last day/end...plus they would have not just recorded Mike's bass line and walked out of the studio!) and more likely crying about the song/subject of the song. It's a pretty emotional song after all about someone who clearly has had a massive impact on Billie's life (and continues to impact his music/influence his writing). Maybe finally hearing it played back brought him to tears. Makes perfect sense to me.

I thought I had read somewhere that they recorded each track in order.  They would not go on to the next track until the one before it was completely finished.  If that is true, Whatsername would have been the last and that scene would have depicted the end of the recording process.

I will have to see if I can find where I read that.

2 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

I thought I had read somewhere that they recorded each track in order.  They would not go on to the next track until the one before it was completely finished.  If that is true, Whatsername would have been the last and that scene would have depicted the end of the recording process.

I will have to see if I can find where I read that.

Even if the songs were recorded in order there is always editing and all kinds of work to do afterwards. There's no way Mike recorded his bass line on Whatshername and everyone went home! John may have wanted to depict it that way but realistically that could never have happened plus Billie had said a few seconds before that scene for someone to call Mike back to hear the playback so there is no indication it is the last day. Anyway he was in his thirties...I doubt he would have cried over the last day of recording of yet another album. However much he enjoyed making it. Probably much more likely he would cry over hearing back the song that is the final song of American Idiot and also a tribute to Amanda, a woman who clearly he still has a lot of emotions about. I mean damn...ever watch that musical lol.

9 minutes ago, st_trillie said:

Even if the songs were recorded in order there is always editing and all kinds of work to do afterwards. There's no way Mike recorded his bass line on Whatshername and everyone went home! John may have wanted to depict it that way but realistically that could never have happened plus Billie had said a few seconds before that scene for someone to call Mike back to hear the playback so there is no indication it is the last day. Anyway he was in his thirties...I doubt he would have cried over the last day of recording of yet another album. However much he enjoyed making it. Probably much more likely he would cry over hearing back the song that is the final song of American Idiot and also a tribute to Amanda, a woman who clearly he still has a lot of emotions about. I mean damn...ever watch that musical lol.

I'm not saying that Mike recorded the bassline and they went home, but it was the last song.  And even if they were not 100% complete they were almost there and that type of situation can be very emotional.

34 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

I'm not saying that Mike recorded the bassline and they went home, but it was the last song.  And even if they were not 100% complete they were almost there and that type of situation can be very emotional.

I guess we'll never know exactly why he was crying. We will be free to have our different theories. I'm going to stick to the one that it was the song and the fact that the entire album ends the story in that song and he finally tells us how he tragically lost contact with Whatsername. For someone who continues to write songs about Amanda even ten years after American Idiot it's plausible he was deeply moved by whatever truth was in that song. So I'm going with sad about the song rather than sad about the potential last day of recording for a few months!

12 minutes ago, st_trillie said:

I guess we'll never know exactly why he was crying. We will be free to have our different theories. I'm going to stick to the one that it was the song and the fact that the entire album ends the story in that song and he finally tells us how he tragically lost contact with Whatsername. For someone who continues to write songs about Amanda even ten years after American Idiot it's plausible he was deeply moved by whatever truth was in that song. So I'm going with sad about the song rather than sad about the potential last day of recording for a few months!

I will agree that he was crying for both reasons.:D   But I don't think he was sad about the ending, but happy at how this project turned out.  He had put so much passion into it that he was so happy that it was finally completed.  

Hell, sometimes I tear up during Whatshername .

I agree though, it's a little bit of both reasons. 

He was crying because he had no clue what he was gonna do at home now they had finished the masterpiece:happy:

1 minute ago, BillyjoelxkidXx said:

He was crying because he had no clue what he was gonna do at home now they had finished the masterpiece:happy:

Get fucked up, fuck Lady Cobra and write Fuck Time? Oh wait no...that was after the other album...ahh right now I see why he was crying. Boredom.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched it an enjoyed it, only real gripe was the playign JoS in its entirety to pad out time

Also the scene/joke or whatever with The network did make me smile a bit :P Probably not gonna rewatch it again any time soon, but i did enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

As a massive Green Day fan, this DVD was heartbreakingly disappointing. We were promised an insight into the real nitty gritty of recording the album. I wanted to see mistakes, ideas brainstormed for different guitar parts/sounds. Tre trying different snares etc etc. In total, in this DVD, there's probably about 3 minutes of this type of scene.

It was cool to see the conversation about the logo, but that didn't even last long. It's exciting to hear conversations like that, and I'm sure there were way more conversations like that, that weren't included in the final cut. Instead there were a load of pointless, stupid conversations - which, granted, shows the fun, childish side of Green Day, but we know they're funny, we've seen that before, I wanted to see them actually hard at work, pouring their souls into this album.

Finally, the fact that they played every single song the whole way through was a waste of time. The footage from the concert wasn't that exciting, there are much better performances to be found of those tracks online. Someone please tell me... What was the fucking point in 9 minutes of weird dancing to the ALBUM AUDIO of Jesus of Suburbia? Waste of valuable time on this DVD that could have been filled with stuff we've never seen/heard before.

Look, I'll always be a die-hard fan of Green Day. But whoever is responsible for the DVD turning out like this - whether it's John Roeker, Warner Bros, Green Day or a mix of all three - has made a reeeal misjudgment. I was heartbroken 10 years ago when I heard that Heart Like a Hand Grenade would not be released. Then, to see it FINALLY released, but for it to be this disappointing, it's a disgrace.

It's not a documentary. About 5 minutes of it is a documentary.

Please discuss, I want to know what you all genuinely think. Don't mindlessly defend GD for the sake of it. Say what you thought of the doc.

X

37 minutes ago, hugh2oneill said:

As a massive Green Day fan, this DVD was heartbreakingly disappointing. We were promised an insight into the real nitty gritty of recording the album. I wanted to see mistakes, ideas brainstormed for different guitar parts/sounds. Tre trying different snares etc etc. In total, in this DVD, there's probably about 3 minutes of this type of scene.

It was cool to see the conversation about the logo, but that didn't even last long. It's exciting to hear conversations like that, and I'm sure there were way more conversations like that, that weren't included in the final cut. Instead there were a load of pointless, stupid conversations - which, granted, shows the fun, childish side of Green Day, but we know they're funny, we've seen that before, I wanted to see them actually hard at work, pouring their souls into this album.

Finally, the fact that they played every single song the whole way through was a waste of time. The footage from the concert wasn't that exciting, there are much better performances to be found of those tracks online. Someone please tell me... What was the fucking point in 9 minutes of weird dancing to the ALBUM AUDIO of Jesus of Suburbia? Waste of valuable time on this DVD that could have been filled with stuff we've never seen/heard before.

Look, I'll always be a die-hard fan of Green Day. But whoever is responsible for the DVD turning out like this - whether it's John Roeker, Warner Bros, Green Day or a mix of all three - has made a reeeal misjudgment. I was heartbroken 10 years ago when I heard that Heart Like a Hand Grenade would not be released. Then, to see it FINALLY released, but for it to be this disappointing, it's a disgrace.

It's not a documentary. About 5 minutes of it is a documentary.

Please discuss, I want to know what you all genuinely think. Don't mindlessly defend GD for the sake of it. Say what you thought of the doc.

X

You have 10-15 pages to read in this thread with people comenting their thoughts of the doc, if you want you have quite a bit to read :P 

There's something I noticed that I think that hasn't been pointed out before: When it showed the band playing in studio they really had a Warning sound! I suppose they gradually got that AI sound during the process, so when they went out on tour they had really changed. If you think about it, when they were recording AI, the last album they had put out was Warning, so it makes sense that they rolled on that sound as a "habit". 

On 03.12.2015 at 4:50 AM, st_trillie said:

Get fucked up, fuck Lady Cobra and write Fuck Time? Oh wait no...that was after the other album...ahh right now I see why he was crying. Boredom.

You look like Bruno

3 hours ago, Brutal-xkid2 said:

You look like Bruno

Can you stop directing random off topic comments at people please? Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Can you stop directing random off topic comments at people please? Thanks.

In 1994 Billie and Mike would call everyone motherfuckers, and here youre telling me off over a funny apperance coincidence that  i pointed on. American tolerance at its best?

Archived