Heart Like A Hand Grenade

burnout409

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've listened to American Idiot several hundred times over the past 11 years, lived and breathed that record since I was the ripe age of 13, know it front to back, back to front, I know and love every single song... but by far, the best song in the entire movie was Tré's First Week Summary.

Any news on the list of European cinemas that will show the movie on November 11? There's only 2 weeks left, I searched everywhere and didn't find anything

I've been searching everyday for this. I hope they announce it very soon.

By the way, the DVD is both on Amazon US and (at least) Amazon Germany/Austria for pre-order (release: 13.11.). Don't know about the UK.

The only listing for the DVD I'm seeing on Amazon US is $27.99 and isn't supposed to ship until Dec. 4. No way in hell am I paying that much for it :lol: 

Well, I guess I'm the only one who has enjoyed the documentary. :lol:

True, it doesn't go into detail about the actual conception of the album, the music or its lyrics, but I found it provides a different kind of look at the band. Despite being a huge fan of the band, I have never been one of those who watch EVERYTHING that comes out with the Green Day name on it, so I haven't really seen any other behind-the-scenes video apart from Cuatro (which I only watched once) and some interviews now and then. Maybe that's why I have enjoyed so much HLAHG and got so many info of the band that was new, at least for me. I have seen a group of really good friends in the most intimate and familiar environment they know, how they relate to each other in respect of their music... I feel like I have gotten a glimpse of the kind of people they really are, the kind of jokes they make, how they behave when they are just them and not the big, public rockstars... To me that's good enough. I know that these things I just said are totally unrelated to music, and I agree that it would be better with more musical material in it, but well, it's better than nothing. 

The only listing for the DVD I'm seeing on Amazon US is $27.99 and isn't supposed to ship until Dec. 4. No way in hell am I paying that much for it :lol: 

oooh, that one says two discs though. But for Studio, says Imports. legit? Hmm. 
Here is the one disc HLAHG pre-order that I've seen around here.  
http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Like-Hand-Grenade-Green/dp/B01617NYJE

Well, I guess I'm the only one who has enjoyed the documentary. :lol:

True, it doesn't go into detail about the actual conception of the album, the music or its lyrics, but I found it provides a different kind of look at the band. Despite being a huge fan of the band, I have never been one of those who watch EVERYTHING that comes out with the Green Day name on it, so I haven't really seen any other behind-the-scenes video apart from Cuatro (which I only watched once) and some interviews now and then. Maybe that's why I have enjoyed so much HLAHG and got so many info of the band that was new, at least for me. I have seen a group of really good friends in the most intimate and familiar environment they know, how they relate to each other in respect of their music... I feel like I have gotten a glimpse of the kind of people they really are, the kind of jokes they make, how they behave when they are just them and not the big, public rockstars... To me that's good enough. I know that these things I just said are totally unrelated to music, and I agree that it would be better with more musical material in it, but well, it's better than nothing. 

Nope...I enjoyed it. I find it typical of Green Day fans to be pissed off for not getting something they were never promised in the first place. John said he was filming the RECORDING process NOT the WRITING process. The writing process was done by the time he even got there so how could he film it. His job wasn't to interview the band either it was to record or observe what they did. I thought he gave us a fun documentary for a change. Finally showed the band's true personalities...like some humour from Billie for a change. I really enjoyed it. I also loved how he cut together the live performances with them recording it in the studio. It showed the growth from it being just Billie with a guitar to the three of them practicing to them live on stage in front of a crowd (eg BOBD) and it was great. I think it was the best GD documentary I have seen.

Nope...I enjoyed it. I find it typical of Green Day fans to be pissed off for not getting something they were never promised in the first place. John said he was filming the RECORDING process NOT the WRITING process. The writing process was done by the time he even got there so how could he film it. His job wasn't to interview the band either it was to record or observe what they did. I thought he gave us a fun documentary for a change. Finally showed the band's true personalities...like some humour from Billie for a change. I really enjoyed it. I also loved how he cut together the live performances with them recording it in the studio. It showed the growth from it being just Billie with a guitar to the three of them practicing to them live on stage in front of a crowd (eg BOBD) and it was great. I think it was the best GD documentary I have seen.

Yikes.

Hmm any extras on it I wonder?

I just watched this with my sister and we really enjoyed it! Loved observing the band in the studio chatting and recording (and as far as I can see there's plenty of the recording/playing etc shown, was expecting there to be hardly any). Some funny, interesting and quite touching moments captured. I also enjoyed the live footage, can kind of see where people were coming from saying there was a lot of it but I still don't think it was at the expense of some extra amazing studio footage or whatever (which if he had he would surely have put in), judging by the small amount of arty Roecker-y stuff that was in it compared to what viewers of the original film described I think it was more likely at the expense of that in which case it's likely an improvement. All in all it felt like a real and honest celebration of the album and a rare chance to see the band members' personalities in an informal setting, I liked it a lot.

A lot of my favourite bits have been mentioned already but I have to add that bit where the camera pans up and down Billie's body while he's frenetically playing guitar was both cool and funny :lol:. And their reaction to the message board was hilarious. Oh and the only thing I was disappointed about was apparently there was a bit where they were taking the piss out of Sonic Youth in the original that's now doesn't appear to be in it :P, I suppose that's understandable though.

Huh, that's weird that when I searched (multiple times), this didn't pop up. Thanks!

Yes!  I couldn't find it on amazon either.  

I had the same issue. Just followed someone's link from earlier and put it on my wish list.

But after watching it a couple if times, I'm not sure I want it.

Great documentary ! Really enjoyed it !!!

Now if they could release about the making of Dookie, Insomniac and Nimrod would be awesome !!!!

Haven't seen but don't really want    to.

How come? It's a load of footage of the band having funny conversations and chatting about the album in the studio, and playing/recording it, with footage from the live show where it was premiered in between. Fair enough if the general consensus is that it's nothing that special but I don't get why it'd be something to particularly avoid :P, the vast majority of other Green Day behind the scenes footage/interviews/live footage etc are no more special than this so if you like watching that stuff it's worth a watch.

How come? It's a load of footage of the band having funny conversations and chatting about the album in the studio, and playing/recording it, with footage from the live show where it was premiered in between. Fair enough if the general consensus is that it's nothing that special but I don't get why it'd be something to particularly avoid :P, the vast majority of other Green Day behind the scenes footage/interviews/live footage etc are no more special than this so if you like watching that stuff it's worth a watch.

I can't get round to it either..Idk why

It is definitely worth watching.  There are some cute scenes and Billie looks amazing, which always makes it worth it.  Just don't expect any great revelations.  It is a fun watch.

No harm in that, as mentioned above it is definitely worth a watch when you feel like it though. I hope no one reads this thread and thinks it's so boring or disappointing or whatever that it should be purposely avoided because it's really not :P 

Archived