Heart Like A Hand Grenade

burnout409

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I read that HLAHG will be shown in the UK on November 11 at selected cinemas for one day only! 

I may go and see this if it's shown in London somewhere.

But HLAHG is shit. And John Roecker's a cunt for making us think otherwise.

What exactly do you expect him to do, badmouth his own film? Maybe he's a cunt for making an unimpressive movie, but I can't understand why you'd expect him not to hype up something he's obviously proud of.

What exactly do you expect him to do, badmouth his own film? Maybe he's a cunt for making an unimpressive movie, but I can't understand why you'd expect him not to hype up something he's obviously proud of.

I literally only stuck that on at the end to see if you'd take the bait. Well done.

I literally only stuck that on at the end to see if you'd take the bait. Well done.

Yeah, you're a master strategist.

There isn't more bitching these days, though. We've been negative for some time now and the bitching has peaked back in 2013 when this site was nothing but the unpopular opinions thread. 

Yeah but when people who saw the film six years ago said it doesn't go into much detail about the writing/recording process and then people say "I was expecting it to go into more detail about the writing/recording process, I'm disappointed" that's kind of whining :P 

You're assuming everyone was here six years ago and reading reviews? A lot of us (including myself) went into this blindly with no pre-conceieved opinions on it. I just don't understand how it's unrealistic to expect a "making of" documentary to explain mostly the making of an album? If it's mostly Green Day's first live performances of American Idiot, not an insight into the writing/recording process, it should've been marketed that way, not hyped up to be something it's not. As others have said, it seems very self-serving for its creator, so it's natural to feel a bit deceived.

Like I said in my previous post there's nothing wrong with disliking the film and saying so, and no one's an imbecile, it's just the level of nitpicking and negativity that's annoying. "It's GDC, of course people are complaining and unimpressed" didn't used to be something that was posted and agreed with, I don't really get why that's something people want to embrace now. There was a time when getting to see the hot tub scene alone would've pleased everyone :lol:, I think that's more enjoyable than being entirely negative that's all.

GDC is growing older as Green Day grows older and fails to attract new, younger, teenage fans by not producing landmark albums. It's just a natural cycle, and in the same vein as you finding our negativity and "not satisfied with anything" attitude annoying, I'm sure others may find your constant positivity and "everything Green Day does is awesome" attitude annoying, too. Basically, we can be bitter, call people names and and try to sway everyone's opinions to be the same as our own, or we can just agree to disagree about things.

There isn't more bitching these days, though. We've been negative for some time now and the bitching has peaked back in 2013 when this site was nothing but the unpopular opinions thread. 

fun times. that's when i joined - basically the only thread going.

Reading all the whiney comments on here convince me GDC members just want to bitch about everything. If this documentary had come out ten or eleven years ago when it was more relevant and there were less documentaries to compare it to (Cuatro and even BIAB) and YouTube wasn't flooded with ten year old footage from the AI tour that bored fans could interpret from memory into a ballet performance and Fuse hadn't aired part of it a decade or so ago I guarantee most of you would be shitting yourselves with pathetic excitement. 

Says another GDC member just wanting to bitch about everything. 

Yep. The formula seems correct. 

Reading all the whiney comments on here convince me GDC members just want to bitch about everything. If this documentary had come out ten or eleven years ago when it was more relevant and there were less documentaries to compare it to (Cuatro and even BIAB) and YouTube wasn't flooded with ten year old footage from the AI tour that bored fans could interpret from memory into a ballet performance and Fuse hadn't aired part of it a decade or so ago I guarantee most of you would be shitting yourselves with pathetic excitement. 

Most of it is valid, which is a surprise for this place.

There is maybe a total of 5-10 minutes of very interesting and engaging material in this film. Compare that to Cuatro or BIAB where I was on the edge of my seat the whole time (and still watch them that way). Even if John came in after the writing, rehearsing, demoing process, there is still a lot to be shown in terms of the guys talking while tracking, recording different bits of each song (all instruments), etc.  It's almost as if John picked the absolute most boring studio parts and blended them in between live performances.

And don't get me started about the live performances.  Whoever edited this film needs to pay closer attention to audio sync.

But to your point here, yes, in each "complain" posts, there is the element of "we've waited 11 years for this?" The hype was stupidly high for something a kid in high school film class could put together. Harsh? Yes, but that's my opinion.

Compare that to Cuatro or BIAB where I was on the edge of my seat the whole time (and still watch them that way).

Really?

GDC is growing older as Green Day grows older and fails to attract new, younger, teenage fans by not producing landmark albums. It's just a natural cycle, and in the same vein as you finding our negativity and "not satisfied with anything" attitude annoying, I'm sure others may find your constant positivity and "everything Green Day does is awesome" attitude annoying, too. Basically, we can be bitter, call people names and and try to sway everyone's opinions to be the same as our own, or we can just agree to disagree about things.

I haven't called anyone names, and I have no problem with there being a mix of different opinions positive or negative. I just think it's a bit of a shame that people apparently consider complaining about everything to be an intrinsic GDC trait now. This thread isn't even a very good example of that since it is mostly just people giving their opinions of the film, the only thing I don't really get is the amount of disappointment about things that have been mentioned not just 6 years ago but in this thread and others like it and about it not living up to John Roecker's hype when we already knew he was overhyping it. That's just my opinion re whether it's disappointing like anyone else's, I don't want to prevent anyone posting what they think.

You can rent it on Vimeo. 

I am broke. :(

I checked, it will cost me like 1000 bucks to rent it. I can watch 10 movies with that money :P

I am broke. :(

I checked, it will cost me like 1000 bucks to rent it. I can watch 10 movies with that money :P

What do you mean? It's $7.99 to rent 

The one good thing this movie did was leave me desperately wanting to re-watch Cuatro in order to cleanse myself of low quality documentaries, and I had over-watched Cuatro and was pretty sick of it until now :lol: 

Archived