Heart Like A Hand Grenade

burnout409

I started to write a short story of American Idiot that was word for word like the lyrics.  I need to  revisit that and see what I can come up with.   I just thought of something.....is there American Idiot fan fiction out there?  I usually NEVER read fan fic but this could be good.  

Yes, a lot of it! I'm afraid I can't recommend fanfics, though, because 90% percent of them are about a whiny Billie who gets to have sex with a manly, caring Mike and the remaining 10% are different takes on the AI story. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, unfortunately the myth of it seemed to grow as time went on and it became more ~elusive~ as a result.

So like Billie's penis?

Not that my opinion really matters, but I was disappointed in this.  I didn't understand the need to play almost every song on the record I mean, we've heard them a hundred times before right? This did not seem like the making of the album to me, just rehearsing of the completed songs. Scenes of them in the studio talking were cut way too short. They could have included much more about what happened to Cigarettes and Valentines, the production work, promotion for the record, among other things. Would totally rather watch Cuatro any day.

I feel this was hyped up wayyyy too much.

that sums up my feelings pretty much exactly it's not that I didn't like it but it wasn't even close to what I hoped it would be

Nah, I'd much rather it be out here where people can see it, and make their own decisions. That's always better than the alternative, imo. It's not a bad film, it's just not as good as we were hoping for, and could never have been as good as people built it up to be over the last decade.

Bingo

I was hoping for more of the writing process to be shown, but it sounds like I'm going to be disappointed. 

It is rather hilarious, though. I found myself laughing a lot at just the banter in the studio.

Did the people who didn't like it/thought there were too many live performances see it in theaters? I did see it in a theater and I loved it, but maybe if I just watched it on Vimeo or something I would have felt less strongly about it.

I don't get why people seem to be expecting something different or better from it just because it's taken a long time to get released though :P. We were already told what was in it and never promised anything else so I can't see much reason to be "disappointed" by the content.

did you see my previously comments that I loved it:)

I feel about the same now that this is out as I did watching in theaters 6 years ago. It's nice to see, but I think it was a really missed opportunity. We don't need drama to make something interesting, but the art-house feel of this just comes off as somewhat pretentious. I respect Roecker for taking a risk and making the film he wanted. I don't feel it's the movie that would have been most interesting. I feel like it could have gone in two other directions that would have been more engaging; more personal about the guys (more of them recording, messing around, similar to Cuatro), or more about the process. Some of my favorite bits of HLAHG are those little tidbits we see when there's actual songwriting or recording going on. That's the stuff that I felt would have really made this an incredible film.  I like the idea of going from "song writing, recording, live performance" - but HLAHG didn't feel like it had that narrative cohesively. It felt like it was kinda trying to, but failed to materialize.

I've always been wary of sharing too much opinion on the movie. After we saw it in theaters I was a little caught up in the moment, so the review we posted on GDA was more glowing than I think it deserved. And after that John made a couple negative comments about GDA because we didn't post/promote most of his other projects that were tangentially related to Green Day - so I felt a weird about getting on the wrong side of someone who worked with the band - so I just avoided talking about it much after that.

But the movie is out now, and I'm glad. People can finally see it and make their own opinions. I've seen and read from some people who really like the style of the film and what he did. I think it's an okay movie. But for such a monumental album, it really could have been something great. 

did you see my previously comments that I loved it:)

Oh I know you were joking of course, just explaining what I meant in regards to what others have posted about it.

John bashed GDA?? What he say?

He didn't bash GDA, and I don't remember it verbatim. I just remember he wasn't happy because we wouldn't post about a couple other projects he did. I don't think he really meant to cause shit or anything, I probably just remembered it more because who he was.

I feel about the same now that this is out as I did watching in theaters 6 years ago. It's nice to see, but I think it was a really missed opportunity. We don't need drama to make something interesting, but the art-house feel of this just comes off as somewhat pretentious. I respect Roecker for taking a risk and making the film he wanted. I don't feel it's the movie that would have been most interesting. I feel like it could have gone in two other directions that would have been more engaging; more personal about the guys (more of them recording, messing around, similar to Cuatro), or more about the process. Some of my favorite bits of HLAHG are those little tidbits we see when there's actual songwriting or recording going on. That's the stuff that I felt would have really made this an incredible film.  I like the idea of going from "song writing, recording, live performance" - but HLAHG didn't feel like it had that narrative cohesively. It felt like it was kinda trying to, but failed to materialize.

I've always been wary of sharing too much opinion on the movie. After we saw it in theaters I was a little caught up in the moment, so the review we posted on GDA was more glowing than I think it deserved. And after that John made a couple negative comments about GDA because we didn't post/promote most of his other projects that were tangentially related to Green Day - so I felt a weird about getting on the wrong side of someone who worked with the band - so I just avoided talking about it much after that.

But the movie is out now, and I'm glad. People can finally see it and make their own opinions. I've seen and read from some people who really like the style of the film and what he did. I think it's an okay movie. But for such a monumental album, it really could have been something great. 

tl;dr it's shit and John Roecker is a cunt who's also shit at films.

He didn't bash GDA, and I don't remember it verbatim. I just remember he wasn't happy because we wouldn't post about a couple other projects he did. I don't think he really meant to cause shit or anything, I probably just remembered it more because who he was.

ah but still was his other stuff about GD? It's not like GDA posts stuff from other non GD members who are associated with the band like never see posts from the non GD members of Pinhead or whatever so why would GDA post his non GD stuff 

ah but still was his other stuff about GD? It's not like GDA posts stuff from other non GD members who are associated with the band like never see posts from the non GD members of Pinhead or whatever so why would GDA post his non GD stuff 

It was Green Day related stuff, eg a short film he made based on Jesus of Suburbia. But I think the point was GDA isn't obligated to post about every Green Day related project anyone does. Lots of people do their own creative projects that are inspired by the band's songs or mention them etc but GDA has always been selective about which ones it posts rather than automatically posting every single one. It still got posted about on GDC anyway, and I think all he did in response was make a couple of slightly bitchy comments on FB or something, it wasn't a big thing.

tl;dr it's shit and John Roecker is a cunt who's also shit at films.

Yes, everyone gets it. You don't like John Roecker. You're not really adding anything to the discussion at this point.

Yes, everyone gets it. You don't like John Roecker. You're not really adding anything to the discussion at this point.

Neither are you, to be fair.

It still got posted about on GDC anyway, and I think all he did in response was make a couple of slightly bitchy comments on FB or something, it wasn't a big thing.

So the typical "I hate your shitty news site... but... PLEASE, please, please put me on your shitty news site! Because you're shitty if you don't!" :lol: 

that sums up my feelings pretty much exactly it's not that I didn't like it but it wasn't even close to what I hoped it would be

YES!  They should not have played any song all the way through except for maybe one or two.  The film was 97 minutes and 60 of that was live performances, if not more.  So we got about 4 minutes of behind-the-scenes writing, and 26 minutes of fart jokes.  Lol.   I complain, but I enjoyed the movie.  

I'm simply blown away by the lack of talent it would take to make a worse rockumentry about one of the defining albums of the Noughties than one about the Trilogy. That's just impressive.

Archived