Heart Like A Hand Grenade

burnout409

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ARTICLE: Behind the scenes of the making of Heart Like A Hand Grenade: The Making of American Idiot

Beast Editor Dean Gonzalez Cuts Green Day Documentary Heart Like a Hand Grenade

http://www.btlnews.com/news/beast-editor-dean-gonzalez-cuts-green-day-documentary-heart-like-a-hand-grenade/

The amount of interesting footage that we had to work with was almost overwhelming and we had to find our way to the story organically, said Gonzalez. “We wanted to really showcase how this album came to life, though we had no way of knowing how massive it would be at the time.”

They opted to track the progression of each song by cutting together clips from rehearsals, the recording studio and the concert, letting viewers see the overall artistic journey of each song. In a bit of happenstance, Roecker and Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong discovered that moments from the song Jesus of Suburbia perfectly synced with a scene from the 1969 musical Sweet Charity, a revelation that Gonzalez worked into the final cut.

The Frida Cinema
8 hrs ·

Green Day doc HEART LIKE A HAND GRENADE comes to The Frida Cinema one night only - THIS THURSDAY NIGHT!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1703682123184472/

On one night only, The Frida Cinema is excited to present new Green Day documentary HEART LIKE A HAND GRENADE!

More than 10 years after the release of American Idiot, 2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees Green Day present Heart Like A Hand Grenade. This time capsule rock doc takes us inside the songwriting and recording process of their Grammy Award winning punk rock opera.

We thank the folks at Abramorama and Evan Saxon Productions for making this special event screening available for our audiences!

Tickets now on sale at https://ticketing.us.veezi.com/purchase/1208?siteToken=H3RVW4Hi7UCAqWQZqk%2BTpA%3D%3D

I am! She had a girl named Copeland and both baby and mama are perfectly healthy! And I am insanely tired haha

congrats! And you haven't got to the insanely tired part yet lol this tiredness is heaven compared to what's coming 

not trying to scare just prepare ya 

congrats! And you haven't got to the insanely tired part yet lol this tiredness is heaven compared to what's coming 

not trying to scare just prepare ya 

Thanks man and that's what I've heard haha

What is this other documentary that people are referring to that is better than HLAHG, and do you have a link to it? #noob

It was a 20 minute documentary on the making of American Idiot made up of footage that was recorded for HLAHG that was on TV in 2005:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVgF6Q7cxWg 

I am! She had a girl named Copeland and both baby and mama are perfectly healthy! And I am insanely tired haha

Congrats!!

It was a 20 minute documentary on the making of American Idiot made up of footage that was recorded for HLAHG that was on TV in 2005:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVgF6Q7cxWg 

Thanks. I have a feeling I'm going to want to watch this after I get around to actually renting HLAHG and watching it. The only similar things I've watched are the album performance that aired on VH1 Storytellers and Bullet in a Bible, and I enjoyed both of those. I'm kind of bummed about the lackluster reviews HLAHG has been receiving, but I think we're pretty much over-saturated with performances at this point... I was hoping for more of the writing process to be shown, but it sounds like I'm going to be disappointed. 

When they were doing the head in a box thing they seemed like they didn't want to discuss Holiday.  So they didn't.    Perhaps when they release this movie again in eleven years they wil add Holiday to it.   

I would LOVE for them to make it into a novel.  And movie.  Coloring book too, but I don't know about TV series.  

Was anyone at the Alpharetta, Georgia showing Thursday?  Just curious if there were any GDA folks there.   Probably not, because the theater was pretty much empty.  Very sad turn out.  It was me (I'm 30) and a few groups of 20-somethings, and then a few teens with parents.  

Fight Club is as close to a novel adaptation as it gets.  

Thanks. I have a feeling I'm going to want to watch this after I get around to actually renting HLAHG and watching it. The only similar things I've watched are the album performance that aired on VH1 Storytellers and Bullet in a Bible, and I enjoyed both of those. I'm kind of bummed about the lackluster reviews HLAHG has been receiving, but I think we're pretty much over-saturated with performances at this point... I was hoping for more of the writing process to be shown, but it sounds like I'm going to be disappointed. 

To be fair people who saw the original did say there wasn't much about the writing process or showing the detailed creation of the songs, as far as I can tell from what people have said this version isn't that different from what was already described. He didn't come on board/start filming until they were in the studio making the album so I think most of the writing was already done by that point.

Sounds pretty shit. Or at least, not what I would want. I don't think I'll bother with it.

Congrats!

Am I the only one who's happy just to see the band in the studio talking etc along with a bit of music? :lol: I've already heard so much about the American Idiot songs and how the album came together and I'm not that bothered about the technical side of things so I don't mind if it doesn't go in depth into that. It's rare that you get footage of the band that isn't in a formal setting like on TV or in an interview so I look forward to seeing that the most.

Am I the only one who's happy just to see the band in the studio talking etc along with a bit of music? :lol: I've already heard so much about the American Idiot songs and how the album came together and I'm not that bothered about the technical side of things so I don't mind if it doesn't go in depth into that. It's rare that you get footage of the band that isn't in a formal setting like on TV or in an interview so I look forward to seeing that the most.

yeah the fart scene was definitely worth the wait?

I actually really liked it :lol:, but maybe it was only because i haven't listened to American Idiot or watched a live performance of them in awhile.  That performance of Letterbomb was sick!!! It was also actually kind of motivating to write the best music you can and be open to new ideas, so thumbs up ???

yeah the fart scene was definitely worth the wait?

I don't get why people seem to be expecting something different or better from it just because it's taken a long time to get released though :P. We were already told what was in it and never promised anything else so I can't see much reason to be "disappointed" by the content.

Fight Club is as close to a novel adaptation as it gets.  

I started to write a short story of American Idiot that was word for word like the lyrics.  I need to  revisit that and see what I can come up with.   I just thought of something.....is there American Idiot fan fiction out there?  I usually NEVER read fan fic but this could be good.  

I don't get why people seem to be expecting something different or better from it just because it's taken a long time to get released though :P. We were already told what was in it and never promised anything else so I can't see much reason to be "disappointed" by the content.

Yeah, unfortunately the myth of it seemed to grow as time went on and it became more ~elusive~ as a result.

Yeah, unfortunately the myth of it seemed to grow as time went on and it became more ~elusive~ as a result.

I compare it to the disapointment that sometimes accompanies meeting someone famous. Ignorance is bliss, etc. Some urban legends should remain just that. I think, from what I've read in reviews, this film's story grew larger than the film itself. Maybe it would have been better just left on the shelf. 

I compare it to the disapointment that sometimes accompanies meeting someone famous. Ignorance is bliss, etc. Some urban legends should remain just that. I think, from what I've read in reviews, this film's story grew larger than the film itself. Maybe it would have been better just left on the shelf. 

Nah, I'd much rather it be out here where people can see it, and make their own decisions. That's always better than the alternative, imo. It's not a bad film, it's just not as good as we were hoping for, and could never have been as good as people built it up to be over the last decade.

Not that my opinion really matters, but I was disappointed in this.  I didn't understand the need to play almost every song on the record I mean, we've heard them a hundred times before right? This did not seem like the making of the album to me, just rehearsing of the completed songs. Scenes of them in the studio talking were cut way too short. They could have included much more about what happened to Cigarettes and Valentines, the production work, promotion for the record, among other things. Would totally rather watch Cuatro any day.

I feel this was hyped up wayyyy too much.

Archived