Heart Like A Hand Grenade

burnout409

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Jesus of Seneca said:

I must be one of the three people on the planet that liked the JOS scene.

One of the most pretentious scenes I've seen in a while.

11 hours ago, Clayish said:

One of the most pretentious scenes I've seen in a while.

I think it could have been good if it was somehow better executed. This way it just seems completely pointless. 

• 1 year later...

I'm so glad to see that where this thread was left off was when the JOS sequence was still being discussed, 'cause I was just thinking about this the other day and wanted to find where John Roecker said why he did it the way he did, and I found it!! It's from an article/interview he did with TeamRock.com on his personal top 11 Green Day songs, and he had JOS high up on the list and said this:

“When we were listening to this song in the studio, all I could hear was the music part and not the lyrics. I had this movie called Sweet Charity that Bob Fosse directed, and there’s this thing called 'The Rich Man’s Frug,' this great, cool ’60s-type crazy dance thing. And I woke up in the middle of the night and I brought the DVD. I go, ‘Billie, you’re going to think I’m completely out of my mind, but play the track, Jesus Of Suburbia’. I press play on the DVD and tell him to watch – it synced perfectly to it. And that’s in the film. And I think that’s the time when we thought, ‘This could be a Broadway musical’."

So boom! Scene explained!

^^^ So it was actually a preexisting film that just synched, like The Wizard of Oz with Dark Side of the Moon. That’s pretty cool actually. I thought it was something new that they staged. 

That is really weird. I'm going to see a production of Sweet Charity next August :lol: 

21 hours ago, Jimmy Strummer said:

I'm so glad to see that where this thread was left off was when the JOS sequence was still being discussed, 'cause I was just thinking about this the other day and wanted to find where John Roecker said why he did it the way he did, and I found it!! It's from an article/interview he did with TeamRock.com on his personal top 11 Green Day songs, and he had JOS high up on the list and said this:

“When we were listening to this song in the studio, all I could hear was the music part and not the lyrics. I had this movie called Sweet Charity that Bob Fosse directed, and there’s this thing called 'The Rich Man’s Frug,' this great, cool ’60s-type crazy dance thing. And I woke up in the middle of the night and I brought the DVD. I go, ‘Billie, you’re going to think I’m completely out of my mind, but play the track, Jesus Of Suburbia’. I press play on the DVD and tell him to watch – it synced perfectly to it. And that’s in the film. And I think that’s the time when we thought, ‘This could be a Broadway musical’."

So boom! Scene explained!

Considering how much I hated that scene, it's cool how it synced

That's cool actually, I like it a lot more now in that context. It's completely off the wall.

It starts at about 5 minutes in if anyone would like to see the original:

Archived