Heart Like A Hand Grenade

burnout409

11695976_10153213512333961_2475034179929

i fuckin hope that the wait is over...

question is WHEN is it over?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw a post on facbook saying its going to come out in September!

And both people who remain interested in the making of an eleven-year-old album that is now largely obscure and forgotten by modern audiences will no doubt snap the DVD up.

Even considered that Warner hasn't released the movie because there aren't enough people left interested in watching it for them to make any money?

Sounds promising! I do find it rather strange that Green Day themselves have still never once mentioned this film, but still a positive sign.

And both people who remain interested in the making of an eleven-year-old album that is now largely obscure and forgotten by modern audiences will no doubt snap the DVD up.

Even considered that Warner hasn't released the movie because there aren't enough people left interested in watching it for them to make any money?

Yeah probably but that doesn't mean we don't want to see it! Judging by the descriptions of the original version of it from those who saw it when it premiered (very arty and strange) it never would've been something that had mass appeal or was designed to have mass appeal anyway. Pretty sure no one would've though the Network's unusual DVD (also directed by Roecker) would have mass appeal either but that was still allowed to be released, so it can't be totally out of the question.

This will suck so bad

People who went to see it when it was shown in a cinema mostly liked it, although this is a new and different version of it. I guess if you don't like John Roecker's other work you could predict it would be bad but otherwise can't really judge until you see it.

Sounds promising! I do find it rather strange that Green Day themselves have still never once mentioned this film, but still a positive sign.

Yeah probably but that doesn't mean we don't want to see it! Judging by the descriptions of the original version of it from those who saw it when it premiered (very arty and strange) it never would've been something that had mass appeal or was designed to have mass appeal anyway. Pretty sure no one would've though the Network's unusual DVD (also directed by Roecker) would have mass appeal either but that was still allowed to be released, so it can't be totally out of the question.

People who went to see it when it was shown in a cinema mostly liked it, although this is a new and different version of it. I guess if you don't like John Roecker's other work you could predict it would be bad but otherwise can't really judge until you see it.

It will suck because they keep milking an 11 year old album which to be fair is not even in their top 5.

It will suck because they keep milking an 11 year old album which to be fair is not even in their top 5.

I don't think it's really milking it. It's not like it's some trashy bunch of already-seen clips put together to look back on the album just to cash in, it's an unreleased film made by an indie director that'll be interesting to fans of the album since it's a unique perspective on it and they never released a "making of".

I don't think it's really milking it. It's not like it's some trashy bunch of already-seen clips put together to look back on the album just to cash in, it's an unreleased film made by an indie director that'll be interesting to fans of the album since it's a unique perspective on it and they never released a "making of".

Roecker: "Here's the finished print! It's ready for mass distributon!"

Warner heads: "Awesome. Here's a 50-pack of DVD-Rs. You can use the breakroom computer for production. Feel free to use the laserjet printer on the seventeenth floor for inserts and packaging, but you'll have to supply your own ink. We stopped using that machine years ago."

And both people who remain interested in the making of an eleven-year-old album that is now largely obscure and forgotten by modern audiences will no doubt snap the DVD

Maybe I'm biased, but I think the idea that AI is some obscure underground thing now is rather laughable. Most of my friends and acquaintances irl are at least passing familiar with it when I bring it up, and not many of them are rock fans. Is it still a cultural touchstone? Not nearly to the extent it was ten years ago, but neither was it a flash in the pan or some short-lived phenomenon. Not discounting your larger point at all, as it's correct and I really don't give a damn about this film even as an AI fan. The knee-jerk negativity around this section of the forum can just get tedious.

I won't believe this is real until September ends and we wake up Billie ... sorry we've all seen it, tbh. This and that supposed official book are never going to see the light of day :lol:

I don't even think Green Day themselves give a shit about this project anymore. Maybe the day it's released Mike or GD will give it a tweety shoutout, but promo will be zilch, distribution will be minimal, and John Roecker will find the moment EXTREMELY anti-climactic :lol: Which at this point he deserves.

Of course nobody cares about this. Nobody cares about making-offs tbh. However, it will be an interesting thing to watch for the fans. At least we'll have a chance to see some of the recording process. I don't expect much, but it's nothing to complain about.

Would have made for sense for september 2014. Other than that, make it digitally watchable online or put it on Bluray just so I don't need to watch it all in some 360p youtube upload like Cuatro.

I don't get you people. Always complaining about everything :P

It's what we do. ;)

don't you mean - there is nothing else to do :ermm:

I think that was implied. :/

I do think anytime after Bullet in a Bible, or post American Idiot era in general, as just a random, awkward time to release the thing. With exception, of course, to releaing it close to the ten year anniversary of American Idiot, which has also come and gone. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the thing, but the masses have long moved on from American Idiot. Any real mass appeal this thing had expired. It's gotta put Warner in a weird spot, because it does seem a year too late to really go full throttle with promoting in hopes to getting a lot of attention. In a way, it's kind of a shame.

I'll always be interested in this 'cause the 20min. from Fuse left me wanting for more :P

I don't think publicity is the only thing that matters here, since 11 years passed already. Otherwise we shouldn't even care about old interviews from other eras or maybe the making of the old videos, because we didn't see them when "the time was right". To me it's still relevant and not only me but a lot of people will love to watch it one way or another, with or without Green Day's or Warner's consent.

The actual thing that makes me really mad is that this guy keeps postponing it and looks like he's playing with us. Just let us watch the fucking film already! :runaround:

I'll always be interested in this 'cause the 20min. from Fuse left me wanting for more :P

I don't think publicity is the only thing that matters here, since 11 years passed already. Otherwise we shouldn't even care about old interviews from other eras or maybe the making of the old videos, because we didn't see them when "the time was right". To me it's still relevant and not only me but a lot of people will love to watch it one way or another, with or without Green Day's or Warner's consent.

The actual thing that makes me really mad is that this guy keeps postponing it and looks like he's playing with us. Just let us watch the fucking film already! :runaround:

He's not the one postponing it! He wanted it out years ago and has been trying to get it out all this time, it's not in his control because he doesn't have the legal right to just release it himself.

But yeah I don't particularly care about how popular it'll be (particularly as it's not even made for mass appeal, it's an unconventional/artistic type of film by all accounts). The important thing is getting to see it!

But yeah I don't particularly care about how popular it'll be (particularly as it's not even made for mass appeal, it's an unconventional/artistic type of film by all accounts). The important thing is getting to see it!

Maybe an iTunes or Netflix release? I just don't see a documentary that was niche in the first place getting a wide physical release eleven years after it would have been relevant.

This would have been a very successful documentary 10 years ago. Now it's going to go largely unnoticed. Complete stupidity from Warner really.

Maybe an iTunes or Netflix release? I just don't see a documentary that was niche in the first place getting a wide physical release eleven years after it would have been relevant.

Yeah that would be fine by me! I don't think he's said anything about exactly how it's coming out. But I'm still not counting on it coming out at all until we hear something from the band's side about it anyway, since that's whose hands it's in.

Archived