"Why I am Apparently Less of a Fan for skipping Green Day at Dreamforce

desertrose

i'm glad that to me that's not what life is about :)

Maybe to you, but at the end of the day the most powerful, influential people in the world are the richest and most important people.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sensible chap. Didn't have to sit through Wild One and Angel Blue.

wow it really does get funnier every time you say something bad about the trilogy. it's so epic :^)

I honestly can't believe there are still Green Day fans who are at risk of losing Green Day to the sell-out mindset. Surely they should have come to that decision a long time ago, if they were going to feel that way at all?

Action figures and fashion campaigns are way worse than a paid gig for charity, IMO. I don't get how people pick and choose what is sell-out behavior and what is not. "Oh, The Voice is unacceptable. Oh, no problem attending the iHeart Radio Festival. Oh, how dare they let their music be featured on a game system for profit. Oh, cool, angry birds!" Come on.

I honestly can't believe there are still Green Day fans who are at risk of losing Green Day to the sell-out mindset. Surely they should have come to that decision a long time ago, if they were going to feel that way at all?

Action figures and fashion campaigns are way worse than a paid gig for charity, IMO. I don't get how people pick and choose what is sell-out behavior and what is not. "Oh, The Voice is unacceptable. Oh, no problem attending the iHeart Radio Festival. Oh, how dare they let their music be featured on a game system for profit. Oh, cool, angry birds!" Come on.

i thought all of the incidents you listed were crap. and they all together affected my opinion on green day. they used to be a band to me where i thought: yeah, they mean what they sing, they are true. thats how you should be when you are a band that becomes succesful. finding a balance between selling your music and sticking to ideals. now they more and more become some band to me who make good music. but i can't take them that seriously anymore.

its not about being mainstream and earning money with your music. im really glad they do. but it is how you earn it. and since american idiot it got worse and worse. and the worst thing: they are so big, they wouldn't need all this shitty promotion moves a la "the voice" or shows a la i heart radio.

i thought all of the incidents you listed were crap. and they all together affected my opinion on green day. they used to be a band to me where i thought: yeah, they mean what they sing, they are true. thats how you should be when you are a band that becomes succesful. finding a balance between selling your music and sticking to ideals. now they more and more become some band to me who make good music. but i can't take them that seriously anymore.

its not about being mainstream and earning money with your music. im really glad they do. but it is how you earn it. and since american idiot it got worse and worse. and the worst thing: they are so big, they wouldn't need all this shitty promotion moves a la "the voice" or shows a la i heart radio.

Well at least you're consistent in your ideals. In contrast, I consistently don't give a fuck about any of those things except when I'm entertained by them.

I never thought anything of it - I just thought it was something billie's sister may have got them into. I don't care - any night green day are playing is a great day.

As far as all the video games tv etc its called promotion and promotion from the 90's does not work anymore...

And as least The Voice is a good show that focuses on actual singing and not just how they look...

Seriously. I mean, I do agree that stuff like iHeart was groan-worthy, but it's hard to imagine you would known about/give a shit about Green Day had they not "sold out" and made themselves known.

idk, while this probably was a moneymaker, even though it was a charity event, I can't bring myself to be annoyed with stuff like that. It's exhausting. :lol:

They are sell-outs. I don't let that affect my views on the music, though.

Someone tell me what "selling out" means. Making money or just making lots of money? Do Green Day write music for some different reasons now as when they started?

Are we really still talking about "sell-out" thing? :lol:

What else would punk kids talk about? There's only so many times you can converse over "So are the Ramones like real punk or just pop-punk?" before moving on to something else.

Someone tell me what "selling out" means. Making money or just making lots of money? Do Green Day write music for some different reasons now as when they started?

selling out is a term used mainly by fangirls/boys to defend green day when somebody critisizes them for doing something questionable for profit. none of the the critics (at least those with some brain) uses the term. i hate it myself. i don't have anything against commercial succes.

and the "punk" card is pulled again by those who defend green day. we didnt even talk about punk. there are popbands who wouldnt play at shit shows like iheart radio. its just ethics and values. green day had them and they lost them. the end.

selling out is a term used mainly by fangirls/boys to defend green day when somebody critisizes them for doing something questionable for profit. none of the the critics (at least those with some brain) uses the term. i hate it myself. i don't have anything against commercial succes.

and the "punk" card is pulled again by those who defend green day. we didnt even talk about punk. there are popbands who wouldnt play at shit shows like iheart radio. its just ethics and values. green day had them and they lost them. the end.

How is playing a festival like iHeart unethical or against Green Day's values?

Green Day wanted to play for a living, but not be poor as shit. The end.

How dare Green Day sell out by signing to a major corporation label like Warner they should've stayed with Lookout and perform to 300-400 people a night at crappy clubs just to 50 bucks to split 3 ways and sell just 50k records if possible but at least they'd be punk as shit!

(Thats sarcasm for the folks who are slow...)

Money got donated to charity and people were made aware of said charities. Was that the primary reason for the event? No. Did the charities get the money and profile boost? Yes. So, the problem is..?

I think the problem here is that some people think that it is wrong to be paid to do something for charity. we don`t know if they were paid or not. they may well have been paid but then donated the full fee to charity. what some are uncomfortable about is the idea that a band like green day would be paid to do something for charity. the idea of doing something for charity is that you do it for nothing. unless it`s a full time job obviously.

Green Day has a personal tie to Children's Hospital Oakland. My guess is that they would only take payment to cover production costs at most, but that's just my opinion. They didn't sign up for some random corporate event or random charity--this is close to their hearts, and they are involved with this charity quite often. I have volunteered there myself, and only shelled out $500 for 2 tickets because the money was (at least partially) going to the 2 children's hospitals. I also never would have paid $500 for any band other than Green Day. So for me it was a definite win-win.

How dare Green Day sell out by signing to a major corporation label like Warner they should've stayed with Lookout and perform to 300-400 people a night at crappy clubs just to 50 bucks to split 3 ways and sell just 50k records if possible but at least they'd be punk as shit!

(Thats sarcasm for the folks who are slow...)

thats never been the argument, for the people who are stupid.

Billie Joe didn't want to play iHeart, but he felt it was important for young people to be exposed to real music. He doesn't care how people interpret his decisions.

He and the rest of the band are doing what they want to do just like they have always done. And so far, I'd say it's worked pretty well.

Interesting read

Why I am Apparently Less of a Fan for Skipping Green Day at Dreamforce

http://saltoftheearthvigilante.tumblr.com/post/67516950842/why-i-am-less-of-a-fan-for-skipping-green-day-at

I am reading the blog in between reading the thread. I think that people should ignore a personal blog by someone on Tumblr. There are many people out there who love to rant about how much of a Sellout Green Day are etc etc - the best thing to do is to ignore threads, blogs etc on personal accounts that you dont agree with and stop trawlling the internet for blogs and websites with content that many young fans get annoyed about and getting upset up it - its not worth it. Let them get on with it - let them be dumb if they want. I dont use the term Sellout as I dont know what it is and I cannot use the term because I am not Punk and anyone who came from the mainstream fanbase cannot call them Sellouts - they just look like wannabes. My only gripe about Dreamforce is why did they play in the winter outside instead of an indoor venue regardless why they took part in it. Anyway do you know this username on Tumblr or did you just find it? Ignore it and just laugh at them. And if that is true, then yes, its hypocritical.

These guys give an awful lot in the way of time and money to charities. It costs a lot of money to transport equipment and instruments to gigs, so they got paid.... they got bills to pay just like the rest of us.

Well, I for one really like that Green Day get involved in stuff that isn't expected... I like that they're not arrogant people. They appreciate all types of music and don't judge other artists' choices, like many other bands do. If they had the reverse attitude, like it seems you'd like them to have, they wouldn't play at iHeart, this conference, appear on the Voice and even agree to be part of MTV awards etc, because of the "We're better than that" attitude.

I really admire them for their attitude towards the popular culture these days.

Archived