"Why I am Apparently Less of a Fan for skipping Green Day at Dreamforce

desertrose

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting read

Why I am Apparently Less of a Fan for Skipping Green Day at Dreamforce

http://saltoftheearthvigilante.tumblr.com/post/67516950842/why-i-am-less-of-a-fan-for-skipping-green-day-at

tl;dr: "I don't like that Green Day got paid a lot of money to do this, even if they raised money for charity along the way. This seems hypocritical to me, and other fans got mad at me for saying that".

My view is that Green Day makes a lot of money from their concerts when they're on tour. Millions of dollars. They play them to put on a show for their fans and because they enjoy being on stage. Their shows are not filled with people who follow Green Day, it's a combination of hardcore fans to people who just know their name and their biggest hits. The only difference this time around is that the show itself was organized by a company (rather than Green Day's tour management team) and part of the money is going to charity. That's the only difference.

The fact that so many people are butthurt over this makes me realise so many people live in this fantasy land where they just blindly follow words they have yet to understand that the meaning can be subjective. Just because Green Day got paid to do a gig for a particular company and the conference, a stark contrast to the message they preach, is no wrong whatsoever.

Remember, corporations and companies are made up of people, and I bet even they believe in what Green Day say, and there's no wrong in that. Some people just need to grow up and live in the real world.

Wow. Green Day has job and gets payed for it, just like 85% of all Americans. That's a great reason to not like them

We'll see that fan in a soup kitchen while we walk past it getting home from our jobs.

Wow. Green Day has job and gets payed for it, just like 85% of all Americans. That's a great reason to not like them

with 3 million dollars (i don't think they are less paid as metallica *cough* ) in a "charity event." yes.

with 3 million dollars (i don't think they are less paid as metallica *cough* ) in a "charity event." yes.

But Green Day not only gaters people to the charity, but also donates their own money to charity as well

But Green Day not only gaters people to the charity, but also donates their own money to charity as well

yeah but in my opinion the only real purpose of galas like this is self-manifestation. and GD don't need this. imo.

yeah if you want to do something good, you just do it and dont get paid by a huge company. i think its even worse that they cover up their real interest with this charity.

them playing live8 for example is something completly different.

or this:

Normally it's the band who asks for the money to play gigs. They were probably asked to play at the conference and THEY (management) set their budget... So just because Metallica played there for 3 million dollars doesn't necessarily mean they did.

Surely the point of this is that some or all of the band's fee is donated to the charity, isn't it?

are you really that naive?

Normally it's the band who asks for the money to play gigs. They were probably asked to play at the conference and THEY (management) set their budget... So just because Metallica played there for 3 million dollars doesn't necessarily mean they did.

In all fairness, it's not unreasonable for the author to say that they can see Green Day at other shows so they will decline to see them at an event they personally think is bullshit. That's fine. But usually when someone goes "oh, well apparently I'm less of a fan because ____" they are actually just being preemptively defensive over nothing.

I think some people get too tied up in these things. Yes, Green Day gets paid for shows. I don't think that should be the issue. The issue should be are they still making music because they genuinely enjoy it or because they want some extra cash? There are loads of bands out there now that are just hitting nostalgia markets to rake in some extra cash. At least Green Day still enjoys performing and making music. I think that's all anyone can ask for.

Well i don't really care if people liked it or not, they did something good for someone who need it, that's it. I remember that the last time they play in Oakland they went to this hospital (or maybe it was another, i can't remember) to visit the childrens and spend time with them, and i think that no one knew about it, i saw that because there was just one picture on instagram that someone posted, i think it was the mother of one of the kids.

So at least they don't always make a huge deal about it.

are you really that naive?

Whether that was the case or not, I doesn't really matter to me.

At first people were wondering why they were playing at this conference, I was myself a bit WTF about it. But then it was announced that part of the profit was going to the Oakland's Children Hospital, and I think that's probably the reason why they said yes. Now how is that a bad thing?

lmao if you were offered millions of dollars to do what you love the most (fucking your girlfriend or playing the guitar) in front of tens of thousands of people you'd take it to. And if you didn't, you'd be a complete fucking retard. Life is about money. It's about being successful. Getting rich if you can. Until you notice that I guess you couldn't understand this.

Life is about money. It's about being successful. Getting rich if you can. Until you notice that I guess you couldn't understand this.

i'm glad that to me that's not what life is about :)

If any band didn't care about money at all they wouldn't sign to a major label they wouldn't charge to perform and wouldn't charge money for tickets to see said performance...

That's not a horrible thing to want to make money...

Sensible chap. Didn't have to sit through Wild One and Angel Blue.

You don't like Angel Blue? (That probably shouldn't surprise me lol)

I agree with you on Wild One, though. I think it's one of their worst songs.

Oh no, they got money for it? Fucking sellouts.

Just like in 1994, 1995, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2004 and 2009. Fuck these guys so much, I hate people who earn money from doing what they love and being successful at it.

Honestly, what impudent little turd wrote this?

Archived