Is Green Day leading us through?

JesusOfChristiansSuburbia

Whenever I'm feeling depressed/angry at the world/generally messed up, putting on headphones and listening to Green Day has fixed it. The knowledge that someone else has felt the same as me and managed to come through to become as awesome as Bille Joe just raises my spirits.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Green Day for me.. .. it's like everything.. saved me from doing wrong things.. made my day every time... lyrics written by billie joe is something that i can relate to my life especially Uno and Tre... the thing i've longed for is some friends... and i'm that unlucky person who don't have true friends.. they're all mean and they come to me only when they need something.. every one have a relationship in their teen years.. same as me .. it did happened for 2 months and BANG!!.. whatsername was there for me.. whenever i feel alone.. -- boulevard of broken dreams was there for me... whenever i wished i have friends - Stay the night was there for me.. when i just wanted to tell everyone that i don't care - Jesus of suburbia was there.... to recall that pleasant memories - Time of your life was there for me... to feel stright - Reject was there for me..-- to withstand the scoldings of my parents i have one special song - forgotten.... THANKYOU GREEN DAY FOR BEING THERE FOR ME WHEN I JUST WISHED I WERE DEAD!!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb2b06kAlX1qetdtxo1_250.gif

I heard Green Day was in 2004/05 with Boulevard of broken dreams.

Since then they do have an impact on me, espacially the lyrics from the older albums, cause they were the same age at the time that I am now.

So as Billie puts it in an rare Interview "Girls are my ultimate frustration of life" as well. Though I'm not desparate, but still :D

Some songs are just impersonating so well.

That in combination with partly genius lyrics, a crunchy sound, kick ass loud guitars, catchy melodies , epic solis (you just can't sit when "The Judges Daughter" is playing, admit it!) and song meaning to THEM (!) [passion] is what makes them a huge influence to me :)

Also I'm unable to attach a GIF correctly..

Often after something bad in my life I drank and only made ​​things worse, or hid everything is not facing the front ... But when you hear something that changes your life, when the lyrics make so much feeling for you, al the magic happens ;) I love this band! :D

I don't know, I don't want to say saved me or changed my life... but they did something for me that I can't really explain. I found Green Day and American Idiot when I was 13, I had heard them many times before but that was the first time I really listened. That time in my life could really only be explained as chaos. My family was falling apart due to alcoholism, school was a nightmare and my heart was about to fucking burst from all anxiety, pain, confusion and stress.

When I heard American Idiot, I felt like there was someone out there who understood how I felt. Someone who put words to my feelings in a way that I couldn't do myself. After that I dove in to Green Day land, heard their other records and became a fan. I devoted pretty much my entire life to this band and their music, they were something I could love from afar. Something that was always around, something to lean on to, something that didn't hurt. They were safe.

A few years went by and finally life started to clear up. Things got better. They still mean the same things to me and I love their music dearly but now they're not as much a savior as they are a close friend.

If that makes any sense.

Ever since I got into them back in 2004, there has ALWAYS been a Green Day song that relates to how I'm feeling at the time. I can't remember all the individual instances, but more recently (2009-2010), Green Day got me through my gap year. It was the biggest mistake I've ever made to take a gap year, and I was just so lonely, miserable and isolated, Green Day really helped me through it. It's not an exaggeration, although I feel slightly embarrassed to admit it, that their music made me feel like I had a purpose in life and wasn't completely without value. Currently, X-Kid hits home with masses of power. It sums up how I feel to perfection and it helps me to know I'm not the only one in this position. It's just so, so perfect lyrically it's as if I wrote it myself, it chokes me up every time. And, more generally speaking, without them I wouldn't have ended up on GDC, and I love this place. Again, it stops me feeling lonely and isolated even though my social life has been on its arse for months.

Without them I'd be dead, not even joking. Painfully cliche, but it's honestly true. I owe them my life.

I know this is quite an old comment but I onced just burst out crying listening to X-kid. It's such a tragically beautiful song and easy to relate to.

Just today one of my friends ditched me just when I had gotten my hopes up that for once they'd come through for me an d so I listened to rotting, on the wagon, a lot of the sad songs it makes me feel like for once someone's listening and understanding me. All I've wanted my whole life was to have one good friend that would actually care about me Green Day's like that friend they remind me there's hope, sometimes you just need to laugh at yourself, it's okay to say something stupid sometimes.

I feel like they're telling me one day it will get better

What's been interesting is that as I get older, Green Day's music comforts me in different (and similar) ways to when I was younger. In high school, some 10 years ago, listening to a song like Coming Clean and Minority was a huge eye-opening thing for me. It introduced me to new ideas about acceptance. It comforted me in feeling like it was alright to be different. That's a huge deal to a weird nerdy gay kid growing up in a small rural town with a population of 1500 and still managed to have 3 churches that would fill up on Sundays. Everyone seemed to be very different from me, and Green Day's music really helped me feel like "hey, that's alright."

Now there are times where I'm feeling a bit fucked up and can listen to an old Green Day song an it comforts me in a nostalgic way. Sort of like a safety blanket that I can wrap myself up in. Then they release a song like Lazy Bones that once again gives me those thoughts of "hey, you're not the only person who's fucked up" and brings me the same comfort as Coming Clean did 10 years ago.

Nothing but respect for this post mate.

I don't have much stories to share as i'm a new fan haha.

I don't really have anything of great depth to share, but I know I would not be the person I am today without Green Day. Billie's very open struggle with anxiety has helped me deal with some struggles of my own, and I definitely think they are a huge reason as to why I'm not afraid to be myself.

In all sincerity, I think this thread is beautiful.

I know this is quite an old comment but I onced just burst out crying listening to X-kid. It's such a tragically beautiful song and easy to relate to.

I just get chills. It's my way of expressing sadness.

I just get chills. It's my way of expressing sadness.

yeah, it's a very deep song and can hit you when you're in that mindset.

yeah, it's a very deep song and can hit you when you're in that mindset.

In or out of mindset, it always makes me cry.

I recently watched a video I think much music but it's documented about the guys life as kids theres like one for each of them anyway I knew about Mikes trouble growing up revolving around his parents but while I watched it there was a part where Mike's adoptive mother + Mya (I think its how its spelt) were talking about the huge fight his parents had and caused the police to arrive at their home and then how Mike talked about how music helped him through and how he was just meant to be involved with it I know where talking about Green Day here but Tom Delonge (from Blink-182 if you didnt know) had similar troubles with his family/parent life and because my parents are divorced and fighting and yelling and all that jazz I understand that it's one of the worst feelings but something like music can make it easier to deal with and the fact that I can have Mike as a living example of that makes me feel so much better

Archived