Is Green Day leading us through?

JesusOfChristiansSuburbia

Green Day is my happy place...

For the last 10 years, Green Day have helped me in many ways. They have helped me deal with heartbreak, tragedy, change, relationships, and just life in general. Every single day for the last 10 years I have listened to at least one Green Day song. I use Green Day in many positive ways too, for example, I play a song like Know Your Enemy before I walk out onto the football pitch as it gets me pumped up and ready for the job at hand. I listen to songs like 21 guns, the Forgotten, Good Riddance etc while chilling in the tub.

Lyrically there are so many songs that I can apply to myself - From 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours to Tre, Dry Ice to Missing You.

It was also seeing Green Day in 2005 that made me want to play guitar. And from there I made the transition to songwriting, also inspired by Green Day (Billie Joe) in particular.

Would I still exist without Green Day? Debatable. Would life be half as good without Green Day? Hell no.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I respect all troops, whether they be American or not. It's hard to serve under such power and threat. The fact that Green Day can reach out to you says a lot, and it's a great thing.

tumblr_mu3za8vSYy1s6c5h5o1_500.gif

Fan of gifs, are we?

I'll don't put gifs there cause I don't know where to find them but:
When I discovered Green Day years ago, I became totally addicted to their music, at some point that I used to listen to them every day, and it lasted more than a year. Every day. Now I'm more kinda ''calm'' with it, but I remember it was like a drug - sorry for that cliche but it's true, it was exactly the way their music affected me. I couldn't live without, and still now.
Even if my life isn't happy at all (and I'm not alone, I know it) they still manage to bring me that happiness, or anger, depending of the songs, but some of their songs have, how to say ? ''this song has opened my eyes.'' ? Sorry for my english but, some of them like Coming Clean, for some obvious reason, Minority, King For A Day, Macy's, ... when I listen to them, I feel like I the Queen of the world, I fuck majority, I fuck bullies, fuck everybody and it's a great feeling. It don't last, but at least during about 3 minutes I feel totally comfortable and happy.

Finding solace in music is a wonderful and true experience. There was a time when Green Day was my anthem. But today, not so much. Of course I enjoy their music and I can feel their souls through the words, but I can't necessarily say that the topics/themes of their songs directly relate to my life today. But that's just me. In a way Green Day gave me a path to follow. A way of life, of thought, of opinion. If anything they taught me to have my own opinion. You taught me how to live.

I can completely relate to this. ^

Green Day have had an impact on my life and I am forever grateful. When I was younger and first got in to them a day wouldn't pass without me talking about them, listening to them, thinking about them, googling them etc. Today that is definitely not the case. I still love them very much, but have just grown up a bit and don't need their comfort as much I guess... I found them myself and still, out of all my friends, am the one to have them (by which I mean I have no friends or close ones who like Green Day).

So to sum up, yes they have impacted the person I am today and I love them for everything they have done and continue to do. Whenever I am having a bad day or am sad I legit put Green Day on and I feel better. They have a power that no other band/artist has or ever will have on me and my life, and I love it.

Yes, Green Day is leading us through! I really found GD in 2010. Before that I had been in a somewhat dark place. My mother had passed in 2008 and before passing she had gotten ill both physically and mentally. And I had been pretty much the only one trying to take care of her. So after she died I was just exhausted and troubled with everything that had happened. And yet I somehow managed to graduate from university and even find a job.

I don't think I even realized how broken I was until I found this music and everything that came with it. As I started to listening to the songs and the lyrics I just felt that "ok, I'm fucked up but so is this guy behind these lyrics" (and by that guy I don't necessarily mean BJ, but the character in his songs). And THAT gave me a huge comfort and eventuallly started to empower me.

Oh fuck, I'm actuallyu crying writing this...

Of course I had other kinds of help as well, but what I'm saying is GD had a huge role in all that and still has. Everytime I get uppset, frustrated, pissed or whatever, listening to their music always makes me feel better about everything. It gives hope when I feel hopeless and it gives me strenght to fight all the obstacles that life sets me. And of course when I'm feeling good, their music makes me feel even better :)

Now that I've been to a few GD shows as well, part of this good feeling comes from recalling all the shows and everything I've experienced. Sometimes I find myself smiiling by myself when a certain song brings me to a certain moment in a certain show. And that short moment or memory may just save the whole day. At least I can think that " wow I've experienced some pretty wonderful shit" :)

I also totally agree with Andres about the safety blanket thing! To say it shortly: what ever shit the world might throw at me I can always turn that music on and then nothing can come in between.

major respect to you

Yes. When I was a teenager, songs on Dookie and some of the older albums were very comforting and relatable. As I'm getting older and experiencing more of the world, the political songs are beginning to mean more and more to me. I feel like I've really connected with Walking Contradiction lately. When I was 15, I just liked the song, but now I relate it to politicians and businesses' double standards and back stabbing, and even some of the people I have come up against in the work place. I feel like every year I have new experiences that connect me more to Billie's lyrics and it's nice to know others are going through similar things in their lives.

I find Lazy Bones really easy to relate to. I don't have insomnia or any drug addiction or anything like that, but several nights a week I just can't sleep and it makes me really depressed and angry because I have to get up anyway at 7 to go to my "job" working for less than minimum wage on too little sleep and people I generally don't like but don't have a choice not to be with every day. Many of Green Days songs are easy to relate to because the issues Billie writes from isn't rare stuff, it happens to everyone.

My father introduced me to Green Day when I was in kindergarden, and kindergarden is where I was bullied a lot(emphasis!), so I used Green Day to comfort myself.

It was funny, no matter how much I asked to be taken out of the YMCA(where I was being bullied), my parents didn't.

my relatable song at the moment is Brat, because i tend to be a bratty teen (20) and has needs. No parents around, though i have guardians that love me. my mother was not there for me since the beginning of time. She's in prison. My dad gave me the world though. He's in prison too. both are more than likely not to ever be released.

When I was fourteen and angry at the world (mostly because I had been banned from listening to Green Day, oddly enough), American Idiot, "Jesus of Suburbia" and "Homecoming" especially, was a godsend—it was so good to know that I wasn't alone in the things I was feeling. More recently, I take an odd sort of comfort in "East Jesus Nowhere" now that I'm preparing to come out of the closet about my atheism to intensely Christian family and friends.

Good Luck.

What up with the gif answers? :lol:

Anyway I may not listen to them that much anymore but Green Day will always be more than just a music band to me.It sounds stupid but as most people said they helped me accept who I am growing up.Like it's ok to be different and I don't need to be like the others that I was trying so much.

Green Day music is leading me through my life since 2004. They didn't save my life, no. But I'm sure that without them, I wouldn't be the same person. They had impact on my music taste, my mind, my character. Definitely Green Day is more than band to me - it's my passion.

After an hard break up that left me on pieces I held on them real tight, cause at that point they were the only thing that kept me from breaking down completely.. and I was so invested on that relationship that I gave up on music for a long time, and them being the first thing that I listened to after months was a breath of fresh air, I know It's clichè as fuck but It was like coming home, to my old self that I thought I hated so much when in reality I hated who I had become.. so yeah, I owe them so much.

Ever since I got into them back in 2004, there has ALWAYS been a Green Day song that relates to how I'm feeling at the time. I can't remember all the individual instances, but more recently (2009-2010), Green Day got me through my gap year. It was the biggest mistake I've ever made to take a gap year, and I was just so lonely, miserable and isolated, Green Day really helped me through it. It's not an exaggeration, although I feel slightly embarrassed to admit it, that their music made me feel like I had a purpose in life and wasn't completely without value. Currently, X-Kid hits home with masses of power. It sums up how I feel to perfection and it helps me to know I'm not the only one in this position. It's just so, so perfect lyrically it's as if I wrote it myself, it chokes me up every time. And, more generally speaking, without them I wouldn't have ended up on GDC, and I love this place. Again, it stops me feeling lonely and isolated even though my social life has been on its arse for months.

Without them I'd be dead, not even joking. Painfully cliche, but it's honestly true. I owe them my life.

Green Day definitely got me through some really tough times over the past several years. I can say with confidence that I probably would have been a lot worse off if it wasn't for the solace their songs brought me, and still bring me.

Wake Me Up When September Ends and Whatsername always strike a chord with me (particularly "Remember, whatever, seems like forever ago" - it took me a while to actually get through that song without choking up, honestly), not because I lost my father like Billie did, but because he's never really been in my life and knowing that a member of my favourite band went through a kind of similar thing always made me feel better.

And Billie's voice always makes me feel happy, and I know that sounds corny, but it's true. Listening to their music gives me a much different feeling than any other band does and I'm just so, so grateful that I decided to look them up on Youtube that one day almost five years ago.

and more recently, seeing Billie go through such a shitty time with the rehab and everything and come out on top of it as a better, healthier person after it all still gives me hope that my aforementioned father might be able to do the same someday.

Green Day has definitely helped me through some tough times. I started listening to them when I was 14 and it made my teen angst days easier to deal with. I didnt feel alone. I think with every record, I learned life lessons and related to them differently as I grew older. When you see them live, I feel like everyone has that feeling of togetherness and that hope is not lost. They're one of the few bands that has stuck with me up into adulthood. I can still play almost any of their records and relate. Lately, its been Nimrod. But most of all, without sounding cheesy, they've lead me to meet some amazing friends. <3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys for all of your posts on this thread so much. Honestly, I was in a fairly dark place upon starting this thread, but to not only see how everyone's pulled through their issues, but also came together to support one another, I feel so much better. Green Day has helped me, and now so has the the Green Day community. This is why I come here, and this is why I believe in Green Day and the fanbase. Thank you all so much, and feel free to continue posting.

LONG LIVE GREEN DAY :yay:

I wouldn't say anything Billie could write would automatically change my way of thinking, but I certainly respect his opinion on matters a lot more than almost, or basically just anyone. I'd use his point of view on certain things as an idea of how I could handle things but only because I agree with him, not just because he said it. He wrote a lot of songs about drugs in his past but I think the notion of drugs is ridiculous. I still like songs like Geek Stink Breath though. So basically, they don't lead me, they just offer guidance when I need it. And they reinforce my means of thinking. But then again I discovered Green Day just a few months or so before American Idiot came out and fell in love with them automatically, but I was a little kid at the time, maybe growing up listening to stuff like American Idiot and Minority have been what developed my way of thinking, because those two songs pretty much sum up everything about my view on how I should act and how the world is. I don't really know.

I should add and as cliche and stupid as it sounds, without them, I'd not listen to music. At all. I wouldn't play guitar, and I'd just be an entirely different person, and if the last 2 and a half years (highschool ftw) would have been as hard for me as they have been, I'd probably be dead. So yeah. I guess that's a big part of the whole leading me through idea, too.

• 6 months later...

I know it's more of a serious topic, and most of the topics here are more fun I thought it would be something different. I go through times when I feel stuck, i don't feel like I have a purpose and i get anxiety attacks but Green Day actually helped me to be happy they make me feel like I'm never alone their music makes me feel better when I'm going through something I can drift away and put them on.

They truly are my heroes and I love them they taught me to never give a shit about what anyone has to say about you or do anything just for the approval of someone else.

Mmm. This is very personal topic truly, but not Green Day alone.

But music as a whole has helped though many dark times. Listennig to it, playing it, writing it, whatever. I am not sure if it has saved my life literally, but there were times it was my only joy so it may as well mean yes. And I'm certain it has change my wievs of life. Without music I'd be completely different person. And great to hear Green Day is THE BAND for you. I honestly believe everyone needs one. ( amd no, I wasn't talking about the Band.)

People never underestimate the power of music.

Not really. Only except that I almost certainly wouldn't have started playing guitar if it wasn't for Bullet in a Bible.

Not really. Only except that I almost certainly wouldn't have started playing guitar if it wasn't for Bullet in a Bible.

while Green Day was one of those bands that made me to start playing guitar, they and bands like them is as well one of the reason why I still can't really play that much :P

Thou shall always go over the fence where it is the lowest, you know :S

I know it's more of a serious topic, and most of the topics here are more fun I thought it would be something different. I go through times when I feel stuck, i don't feel like I have a purpose and i get anxiety attacks but Green Day actually helped me to be happy they make me feel like I'm never alone their music makes me feel better when I'm going through something I can drift away and put them on.

They truly are my heroes and I love them they taught me to never give a shit about what anyone has to say about you or do anything just for the approval of someone else.

I've merged this with a similar thread we had a while back :)

A lot of their lyrics have a deeper meaning to them and even if they don't they're fun songs that make you smile or bring you comfort what I love about Green Day is they're so honest yet their also very melodic punks the songs get stuck in your head and you fall in love with a lot of their songs and albums, their meanings can be interpreted in your own way Green Day will find a wy to make me smile

Archived