Is Green Day leading us through?

JesusOfChristiansSuburbia

Clearly, there are topics for relating to lyrics, which song you listen to the most, etc., but I want to ask all you lovely people something. How many people use Green Day for comfort? Which of us have Green Day metaphorically guiding us through life? How many times has Green Day helped you? To sum it all up...

How many of us are alive and happy because of Green Day? I admit, the songs and meaning behind them have pulled me through some of the toughest times and my life.

This is a bit too serious, so here's a funny gif to go with it.

tumblr_mr190y2r3E1s354ono1_500.gif

(Too personal? Don't post or bitch here then.)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'm a strong proponent of that saying about nobody being able to save us unless we first save ourselves; finding solace in music is a good, good thing. :)

As for me, this is an odd connection, but having seen Green Day for the first and second time this year, I have started taking some people's horrible ignorance and strange behaviour towards me more lightly. And yes, it's related.

What's been interesting is that as I get older, Green Day's music comforts me in different (and similar) ways to when I was younger. In high school, some 10 years ago, listening to a song like Coming Clean and Minority was a huge eye-opening thing for me. It introduced me to new ideas about acceptance. It comforted me in feeling like it was alright to be different. That's a huge deal to a weird nerdy gay kid growing up in a small rural town with a population of 1500 and still managed to have 3 churches that would fill up on Sundays. Everyone seemed to be very different from me, and Green Day's music really helped me feel like "hey, that's alright."

Now there are times where I'm feeling a bit fucked up and can listen to an old Green Day song an it comforts me in a nostalgic way. Sort of like a safety blanket that I can wrap myself up in. Then they release a song like Lazy Bones that once again gives me those thoughts of "hey, you're not the only person who's fucked up" and brings me the same comfort as Coming Clean did 10 years ago.

When I was fourteen and angry at the world (mostly because I had been banned from listening to Green Day, oddly enough), American Idiot, "Jesus of Suburbia" and "Homecoming" especially, was a godsend—it was so good to know that I wasn't alone in the things I was feeling. More recently, I take an odd sort of comfort in "East Jesus Nowhere" now that I'm preparing to come out of the closet about my atheism to intensely Christian family and friends.

What's been interesting is that as I get older, Green Day's music comforts me in different (and similar) ways to when I was younger. In high school, some 10 years ago, listening to a song like Coming Clean and Minority was a huge eye-opening thing for me. It introduced me to new ideas about acceptance. It comforted me in feeling like it was alright to be different. That's a huge deal to a weird nerdy gay kid growing up in a small rural town with a population of 1500 and still managed to have 3 churches that would fill up on Sundays. Everyone seemed to be very different from me, and Green Day's music really helped me feel like "hey, that's alright."

Now there are times where I'm feeling a bit fucked up and can listen to an old Green Day song an it comforts me in a nostalgic way. Sort of like a safety blanket that I can wrap myself up in. Then they release a song like Lazy Bones that once again gives me those thoughts of "hey, you're not the only person who's fucked up" and brings me the same comfort as Coming Clean did 10 years ago.

Major respect, man. It takes a lot to tell people that kind of thing. You have my full support. I haven't a secret like that to admit, but I was definitely pushed away by a lot of people in high school. They saw the scars on my wrists and looked at me like I was insane. I was ridiculed and pushed deeper and deeper, but it seemed like Green Day songs had reminded me, like you said, that I wasn't alone. There were people out there just like me. They pulled me out of my "issues" and they keep me away from doing those kinds of things. I see a lot of potential in this thread...

tumblr_mn8e6rhFM01s354ono1_500.gif

Finding solace in music is a wonderful and true experience. There was a time when Green Day was my anthem. But today, not so much. Of course I enjoy their music and I can feel their souls through the words, but I can't necessarily say that the topics/themes of their songs directly relate to my life today. But that's just me. In a way Green Day gave me a path to follow. A way of life, of thought, of opinion. If anything they taught me to have my own opinion. You taught me how to live.

Now, one thing I can't shake is the fact that their music has become so engrained in my conscious, that I cannot listen to a song without being taken back to some place. Some moment whether it's a memory, a feeling, there is something familiar that ties myself to their music and it's that connection that'll keep Green Day in my heart forever.

Finding solace in music is a wonderful and true experience. There was a time when Green Day was my anthem. But today, not so much. Of course I enjoy their music and I can feel their souls through the words, but I can't necessarily say that the topics/themes of their songs directly relate to my life today. But that's just me. In a way Green Day gave me a path to follow. A way of life, of thought, of opinion. If anything they taught me to have my own opinion. You taught me how to live.

Now, one thing I can't shake is the fact that their music has become so engrained in my conscious, that I cannot listen to a song without being taken back to some place. Some moment whether it's a memory, a feeling, there is something familiar that ties to their music and it's that connection that'll keep Green Day in my heart forever.

This is exactly what this thread is about. Thank you.

tumblr_matvqhrosw1qkjtf4o1_500.gif

Green Day saved my life. Literally. My life would neither still be in existence nor the way it is now without them. Enough said.

This is exactly what this thread is about. Thank you.

tumblr_matvqhrosw1qkjtf4o1_500.gif

I thought about that gif actually. And that quote is TRUE

Green Day saved my life. Literally. My life would neither still be in existence nor the way it is now without them. Enough said.

I can say the same thing.

tumblr_mjtsx9WKl91rl3ahvo1_500.gif

To put a long story short, they gave me something to look forward to when my world collapsed. I lost my best friend in 2004 and went through a very deep depression. I almost didn't make it. Looking forward to seeing my favorite band, and a few other things were the only thing that kept me going from day to day for a while.

To put a long story short, they gave me something to look forward to when my world collapsed. I lost my best friend in 2004 and went through a very deep depression. I almost didn't make it. Looking forward to seeing my favorite band, and a few other things were the only thing that kept me going from day to day for a while.

This is why I asked you guys here. This is what I was talking about. All of our memories and, for some, even current things.

tumblr_mhytegOhUM1rcfff5o1_500.gif

Green Day helped me in many ways

1. The lyrics- and finding music that was important, that took a stance on something that I also believed in, felt like I was a part of something bigger than myself. "One light, one mind, flashing in the dark"

2. Happiness- If I feel stressed, sad, disappointed etc. the best thing I could do for myself is put my headphones on loud go in my room and sing along with Billie. Imagine myself getting pulled up on stage and play the air guitar.

3. The anticipation of a cd release/ a concert- Last year I found a trilogy poster in a newspaper with the date of the Toronto concert I was going to. I posted that near my bed and literally that was the only motivation to keep me going most days. I would just count down to the cd release dates and to the concert and that was what I would live for. That was the meaning of my life.

4. Going to their concerts: The first time I went to their concert :)- the epitome of Love & happiness.

Green Day helped me in many ways

1. The lyrics- and finding music that was important, that took a stance on something that I also believed in, felt like I was a part of something bigger than myself. "One light, one mind, flashing in the dark"

2. Happiness- If I feel stressed, sad, disappointed etc. the best thing I could do for myself is put my headphones on loud go in my room and sing along with Billie. Imagine myself getting pulled up on stage and play the air guitar.

3. The anticipation of a cd release/ a concert- Last year I found a trilogy poster in a newspaper with the date of the Toronto concert I was going to. I posted that near my bed and literally that was the only motivation to keep me going most days. I would just count down to the cd release dates and to the concert and that was what I would live for. That was the meaning of my life.

4. Going to their concerts: The first time I went to their concert :)- the epitome of Love & happiness.

Sometimes I'd listen to a Green Day song and stop because of how closely the lyrics described my life. For instance, the first time I heard Lazy Bones, I couldn't believe it. It seemed like every line was more than accurate. I can see what you're saying perfectly.

tumblr_mvfpq5k5471s24qbuo1_500.gif

(My english sucks so i'm gonna write a little)
I was a little kid when i started to listen to Green Day, 8 year and have depression, the songs opened to me a strange/new world and it helped me a lot. :happy:

(My english sucks so i'm gonna write a little)

I was a little kid when i started to listen to Green Day, 8 year and have depression, the songs opened to me a strange/new world and it helped me a lot. :happy:

Your english is fine, dude. Thanks for including your story with ours.

tumblr_mvchegsSQX1sqqxcso6_500.gif

I remember hearing X-Kid like 14 months ago and just getting the chills laying in bed. It's definitely helped me a lot in the past year. Putting in my headphones and rocking out to GD is just a safe and comfortable place to me, no matter what is going on in life.

I remember hearing X-Kid like 14 months ago and just getting the chills laying in bed. It's definitely helped me a lot in the past year. Putting in my headphones and rocking out to GD is just a safe and comfortable place to me, no matter what is going on in life.

That's how it goes, man. When the right song hits you, it can chill you out and make everything just... better.

tumblr_mv9o2zcj8Z1sixq5yo1_250.gif

I joined the Air Force a year ago. I spent 6 months away from my wife and tbh it was hard.

All I have to say is I wouldnt have gotten through it without the Beatles, MCR, and Green Day.

The first two months I was at Basic Training. Naturally, we weren't allowed to have electronics there. So I just would sing constantly. My flight nicknamed me the walking jukebox lol.

The next 4 months was spent at my technical training. I had a radio in my room and the sounds of Green Days power chords or Gerard Way's screaming could always be heard very loudly

in my room ( and the whole hallway lol) whenever I needed comforting. Which was constantly.

I joined the Air Force a year ago. I spent 6 months away from my wife and tbh it was hard.

All I have to say is I wouldnt have gotten through it without the Beatles, MCR, and Green Day.

The first two months I was at Basic Training. Naturally, we weren't allowed to have electronics there. So I just would sing constantly. My flight nicknamed me the walking jukebox lol.

The next 4 months was spent at my technical training. I had a radio in my room and the sounds of Green Days power chords or Gerard Way's screaming could always be heard very loudly

in my room ( and the whole hallway lol) whenever I needed comforting. Which was constantly.

I respect all troops, whether they be American or not. It's hard to serve under such power and threat. The fact that Green Day can reach out to you says a lot, and it's a great thing.

tumblr_mu3za8vSYy1s6c5h5o1_500.gif

Back in middle school I was beginning to become really politically and religiously aware, I realized how conservative everybody around me was. I began snapping at my closest friends and I lost practically everyone. Some days I wanted to change so badly. Do my make-up and hair like everybody else, carry around a bible, and hate Obama like no tomorrow. Green Day practically saved me from being ridiculously fake and taught me to be happy with myself regardless of who was around me. American Idiot, Jesus of Suburbia, and Holiday helped me find who I am now and taught me to be happy with it.

Yes, Green Day is leading us through! I really found GD in 2010. Before that I had been in a somewhat dark place. My mother had passed in 2008 and before passing she had gotten ill both physically and mentally. And I had been pretty much the only one trying to take care of her. So after she died I was just exhausted and troubled with everything that had happened. And yet I somehow managed to graduate from university and even find a job.

I don't think I even realized how broken I was until I found this music and everything that came with it. As I started to listening to the songs and the lyrics I just felt that "ok, I'm fucked up but so is this guy behind these lyrics" (and by that guy I don't necessarily mean BJ, but the character in his songs). And THAT gave me a huge comfort and eventuallly started to empower me.

Oh fuck, I'm actuallyu crying writing this...

Of course I had other kinds of help as well, but what I'm saying is GD had a huge role in all that and still has. Everytime I get uppset, frustrated, pissed or whatever, listening to their music always makes me feel better about everything. It gives hope when I feel hopeless and it gives me strenght to fight all the obstacles that life sets me. And of course when I'm feeling good, their music makes me feel even better :)

Now that I've been to a few GD shows as well, part of this good feeling comes from recalling all the shows and everything I've experienced. Sometimes I find myself smiiling by myself when a certain song brings me to a certain moment in a certain show. And that short moment or memory may just save the whole day. At least I can think that " wow I've experienced some pretty wonderful shit" :)

I also totally agree with Andres about the safety blanket thing! To say it shortly: what ever shit the world might throw at me I can always turn that music on and then nothing can come in between.

Archived