Billie Joe Armstrong & Norah Jones unveil Duets LP of Everly Brothers covers

I said earlier in the thread that it's "probably" all folky stuff. And that's what the first release is meant to do, isn't it? Give people an idea of what to expect?

And before you cry "Oh Love" that told us exactly what to expect: disappointment :P

Yes I get it, you don't like the trilogy. Your repetitiveness is getting annoying.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I get it, you don't like the trilogy. Your repetitiveness is getting annoying.

It was a joke. Guess someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed :rolleyes:

And I think that the fact that Billie wanted to do something without Green Day, and making a different kind of music, with different people is kind of refreshing, al least for him and Norah. And I like to hear him making other things. :)

I really respect this project. It's insanely cool to see Billie growing as an artist. Sure, the music isn't my cup of tea, but I hope he learns from this experience and brings back some creative aspects into Green Day's next record.

I really respect this project. It's insanely cool to see Billie growing as an artist. Sure, the music isn't my cup of tea, but I hope he learns from this experience and brings back some creative aspects into Green Day's next record.

Or even better, makes him miss the writing/recording process so we get a new album. :)

idk but I have this feeling that the next album will come out by september next year, with the lead single "One fucking Minute"

Like so many people said, this is unexpected, but at the same time not, if you listen to some of the covers they've done in the past. I know this is something my brother and sister would be way into too. I've had a great affinity for folsky-style music, and it's great to see this eclectic branch-out by him. Great harmonies!

Why the fuck are YOU even opening this topic xD xD lol

Now yeah I love them both. I love Norah's music and Billie is alright too :P

Sooo yes yes.

Also on that picture....they should SO have babies together with beautiful lips and gigantic eyes!

Like so many people said, this is unexpected, but at the same time not, if you listen to some of the covers they've done in the past. I know this is something my brother and sister would be way into too. I've had a great affinity for folsky-style music, and it's great to see this eclectic branch-out by him. Great harmonies!

Exactly! They are great at doing covers. The Working Class Hero one sounded better than the original. And that's a huge compliment because it was a John Lennon track.

Corbett Redford, of the Bay Area punk band Bobby Joe Ebola posted this on FB and someone in the comments made the same comparison. I don't know much about Johnny & June but he replied with this

"I don't see that at all. The long harmonies, for one. Two songwriters paying tribute to the Everly Brothers and their lost album of country covers. Not a Cash cover in the bunch. I am a fan of Cash and Carter but I don't see the simliarity."

It's just the first thing that came to mind when I heard their voices together. It has nothing to do with the original song, music style, or the original artist. It's just a vibe that I got from it, nothing more. Some people like to pick songs apart and label them, I'd rather just feel the songs, if you know what I mean.

idk but I have this feeling that the next album will come out by september next year, with the lead single "One fucking Minute"

Omg,two boring jokes, isn't it? It was necessary? Really? :mellow:

Well that came out of nowhere. But this could easily be a friggin awesome record. Love the concept! Imagine if it went along the lines of the 60s inspired stuff from the trilogy like Brutal Love or Stray Heart.

and all of Stop Drop and Roll

This is why Billie Joe Armstrong is THE BEST musician ever. He makes music for everyone. Punk Rock, straight up Rock & Roll, Pop hits, fucking jazzy shit, Brutal Love, Working Class Hero, Kill the DJ, U2 collabs, weird techno shit with the Network, covers bands from Metallica to Billy Idol. And now this. He is the master of music. If you have a hard time getting someone to like him, then they must not like music at all.

When I heard it the first time, I wasn't a huge fan. Listened to it again a half hour later, I found myself liking it more and more. I'm amazed at how well Billie and Norah's voices blend together.

I dont understand the hate, this isnt a green day song, its a side project for Billie. i personally think this is fucking awesome!

This is Billie Joe recording a song that he grew up on. I love that there is no motive here except for him and someone he respects to record something simple for the sake of showing appreciation to the music. People don't have to like it, because it is a very different style of music, but you have to respect the vocal talent both of these individuals have.

My parents listened to this type of music when I was growing up, so I love the idea behind the project and the music. Obviously I have a preference of the kind of music I listen to (I don't' go out of my way to listen to the Everly Brothers), and I would love to have seen a cover album of something more up-beat from the same era - but I respect the intent behind the album and I'm really excited to listen to the full thing. I've listened to the first song about 6 times already just because I love the way their voices mix.

I don't see any hate for this song so far. And that's how it should be. Side projects should be taken as side projects and nothing more.

Well I'd like to say I saw this coming, but... no. Good to see he was up to something! I'll pick this up

Awesome song. I'll be buying the album.

If you listen closely, you can hear someone sniff at the end.

I hope they at least do some promo for this. I miss seeing Billie on my TV. I can imagine them performing it on early morning talk shows.

"Billie Joe's enthusiasm about the songs and his low-key, open approach to the music was very inviting. He wasn't set in his ideas, which made it fun for us both to sort of discover what felt right for us, musically. I loved that the original was completely stripped down and a little more obscure. There was a lot of room to interpret the songs in our own way." – Norah

This is incredibly awesome. I fucking love The Everly Brothers. I cannot wait for this album.

I gotta say... Their voices sound so good today, and Billie sounds he's having good fun singing that. I'm glad he has a side project that he's seriously enjoying!

Archived