Billie Joe Armstrong & Norah Jones unveil Duets LP of Everly Brothers covers

This is my favorite Green Day-related release in years. I made this big long-winded post on tumblr about it but basically the album just sounds so good and it's not overproduced and the vocals and arrangements together just work. Overall there's nothing I don't like about it (shocker)

Shame it's not eligible for the 2014 Grammys, I hope that gap of time from now to the 2015 Grammys doesn't take away the album's momentum.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice review: http://www.rtbf.be/classic21/article_norah-et-billie-ecoutez-l-album?id=8138932 They speak about this album as the 'most surprising album of this end of the year' And they speak about Billie as the 'charismatic leader of the very famous punck rock band Green Day"

If some people want it, I can translate the whole article, it's a very good review :)

Never would have thought one of Ireland's "wonderful" media outlets would review this. Nice!

Maybe they'll perform at the Grammys! That would be awesome!

Whether or not they make it to the Grammys, they've just gotta take this stuff on the road. Or, hell, even out on the talk show circuit. It's too good not to be performed live, and you can see from the preview commentary video that they've got some terrific chemistry together bordering on fucking adorable. I think it'd be a great show and I'd gladly pay good $$ to see it.

Finally getting around to listening to this, 4 songs in now and loving it, vocal sensation :)

Edit: full album done. Im not really a country music fan but I must admit im liking this quite alot.

I'd never thought I'd enjoy this kind of stuff as much as I have been. I wouldn't go anywhere so far as calling myself a convert to the genre -- I mean, these are only two artists who are just bringing great voices and a distinctly modern flair to an archaic format -- but this is good, good stuff and I'm very much liking it. Easily one of the best vocal performances I've heard in my lifetime -- and that includes premier stage shows like Les Miserables, Chicago, and yes, even American Idiot.

I'd never thought I'd enjoy this kind of stuff as much as I have been. I wouldn't go anywhere so far as calling myself a convert to the genre -- I mean, these are only two artists who are just bringing great voices and a distinctly modern flair to an archaic format -- but this is good, good stuff and I'm very much liking it. Easily one of the best vocal performances I've heard in my lifetime -- and that includes premier stage shows like Les Miserables, Chicago, and yes, even American Idiot.

That is high praise. Oh I wouldn't be a convert to the genre either but I can still enjoy and appreciate this record. I will however check out the Everly Brothers Album at some point just to compare the albums. I like getting used to these songs with a familiar voice though even if I have never heard Billie singing quite like this before. The vocals are definitely the standout thing about this record. Im loving Roving Gambler and Lightning Express especially right now.

OMG :lol:

look:

I made them black so you can see it better.

Norah is on the left and Billie on the right... you can clearly see their nose and mouth...

mty3VoA.jpg

Duh! Now I'm just plain embarrassed! :blush::blush::blush::blush: Thank you!

I think I feel more sorry for Norah than Billie. He can deal with easily and has Pat there to tell them to fuck off, she's on her own.

:sick:

Is "emo" even an actual thing? Like, would a legitimate reviewer ever use that term to describe a music genre? :lol:

dude, remember Hawthorne Heights? Total emo

Ugh, paparazzi. But, yay Pat!

which guy was Pat?

which guy was Pat?

Bald dude next to Billie

I wonder if there's going to be any secret album launch shows this weekend seeing the album comes out Monday.

My CD just arrived. :dance: One day prior to German release date. So I should be happy... .

But I'm absolutely dissappointed about that thin and cheap cardboard cd cover. No booklet or nice artwork inside.

And all that for Euro 18.99 from amazon Germany. That's way overpriced. :mad:

http://de.tinypic.com/r/bgzslw/5

Thank you Warner that you did not send me a cardboard cd as well!

His fluffy hair makes me crazy -- it's the same hair in his "singing with Rocky" video. Rocky --- who continues to be "MIA".

My copy arrived a day early as well! :happy: And wow, to be very honest, I'm lost for words. This record is so utterly beautiful, in a very simple and admirable way. Guess I'll listen on repeat for the next few weeks.. I'd love to wrap my soul in the gorgeous sounds of these songs. So, so mind-calming. Also need to mention I love Billie's solo parts in Barbara Allen. Generally, they both have such beautiful voices which go so amazingly together as well as stand out on their own. I'm impressed.. and more than glad they did this!

Just have to say that I really can't stop listening to this. When I really focus on the lyrics and let myself get lost in them it all just hits me so hard. Also went out of my way to listen to the entire "Songs Our Daddy Taught Us" album last night on YouTube. Their arrangements were definitely simpler and lighter. I LOVE what Billie and Norah did with those songs. They gave a lot more meaning and depth to the material. Don't get me wrong, the Everly Brothers album was great, but Foreverly transforms those songs into something much more.

My CD just arrived. :dance: One day prior to German release date. So I should be happy... .

But I'm absolutely dissappointed about that thin and cheap cardboard cd cover. No booklet or nice artwork inside.

I knew the cd will be like that, i was really hoping for a cute booklet :(

Just have to say that I really can't stop listening to this. When I really focus on the lyrics and let myself get lost in them it all just hits me so hard. Also went out of my way to listen to the entire "Songs Our Daddy Taught Us" album last night on YouTube. Their arrangements were definitely simpler and lighter. I LOVE what Billie and Norah did with those songs. They gave a lot more meaning and depth to the material. Don't get me wrong, the Everly Brothers album was great, but Foreverly transforms those songs into something much more.

^^^That. The music is richer, and deeper, with the modern recording, and particularly with the vocal arrangements and styling that Billie and Norah came up with. Norah's voice just plain tickles your fucking eardrums. Especially how she almost but not quite hides her harmonies behind Billie's voice, then suddenly squeaks up out of the background for an instant before blending back into the melody. The Everlys didn't and perhaps couldn't do it this way, and I think Billie was right -- it took a woman's voice, and maybe specifically this woman's voice, to amp up the emotional depth of the songs beyond what the originals can only touch the surface of.

That, and that fucking fiddle has become my new happy place.

:yay:

Did you notice they also rearranged the order of the tracks in comparison to the original? They've intermixed the heavy and light stuff better so you get some up-tempo, kinda-fun relief after the real deep tracks like Lightning Express, Down In The Willow Garden, and Barbara Allen.

.....and a week after this leaked it STILL blows my mind that we're discussing a country/folk album on a Green Day fan board, with Billie Joe Armstrong and Norah Jones in the same sentence.

:ermm::ermm::ermm::ermm::ermm: Can you direct me to one of those "everywhere's"......please?

Please don't ask for links to illegal downloads.

There ya go, mods...handled that one for you all :-)

EDIT: You can legally stream it here though

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=s9_acss_bw_hsb_MusicNov19_s2?docId=1001713941&ie=UTF8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=078S59FR96GSJDAXMFQS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1666983402&pf_rd_i=5174&wmgref=&tag=smarturl-20

Did you notice they also rearranged the order of the tracks in comparison to the original? They've mixed the heavy and light stuff better so you get some up-tempo, kinda-fun relief after the real deep tracks like Lightning Express, Down In The Willow Garden, and Barbara Allen.

I love the re-arranged order of the tracks. Billie definitely followed his more recent standard way of arranging an album. Start strong and up-beat, and make the closer very reflective and beautiful in it's simplicity. I LOVE Put my Little Shoes Away as the final track. It just lets the vocals completely take over with very little instrumental assistance. Perfect choice to close out the album and leave you feeling like you just got a complete listening experience.

Archived