Billie Joe Armstrong & Norah Jones unveil Duets LP of Everly Brothers covers

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This album is so going to be my bedtime album. Last night, my daughter woke up crying and I put on "Long Time Gone," and it calmed her right down. Next thing I knew, she was asleep :)

That's so funny that you say that. I worked at a daycare for years, and I used to play Norah Jones' album "Come Away With Me" for the kids at naptime.

Quite excited to check this out when it comes available. Not really a massive fan of the country genre, if that's what we're describing it, although could probably be considered a few others too from just listening to long time gone. Which btw os really catchy?

Few questions though? Is Norah Jones that popular? I don't mean that in a harsh sense at all. Just a general question. Like presuming tracks are good enough is this likely to end up getting a lot of radio air time especially over here in the UK? Where stations like BBC R1 & Capital revolve around popularity. If this is the case quite easily could out sell the trio! Make of that what you will poor or not! Sorry I know of her but pretty much nothing else ha!

Oh and can definitely see this being an award show thing as someone's already mentioned. Plus likely a few small intimate 'one night only' gigs.

That was a great listen. Exactly my style of music, so glad Billie keeps branching out into these waters because it's making my earbuds weep with happiness! Excellent job to both him and Norah, a good listen all around.

Quite excited to check this out when it comes available. Not really a massive fan of the country genre, if that's what we're describing it, although could probably be considered a few others too from just listening to long time gone. Which btw os really catchy?

Few questions though? Is Norah Jones that popular? I don't mean that in a harsh sense at all. Just a general question. Like presuming tracks are good enough is this likely to end up getting a lot of radio air time especially over here in the UK? Where stations like BBC R1 & Capital revolve around popularity. If this is the case quite easily could out sell the trio! Make of that what you will poor or not! Sorry I know of her but pretty much nothing else ha!

Well she has sold over 50 million records of her 5 albums has won multiple Grammys and awards I would say she's popular enough...

Heh now that I've read the interview, I was wondering to myself if they had first met when they did the Across The Universe cover at the Grammys and lo and behold!

I love how they met through Stevie Wonder (another one of my favorite artists). Are Billie and him friends?

I'm really looking forward to this album and I've pre-ordered. I'm a huge fan of Billie's voice and whilst I haven't listened to Norah Jones much I appreciate that she has a good voice, and the promo song sounds good. A huge change from Green Day of course but I'm pleased for Billie that he can get to experiment with different styles of music.

I love how they met through Stevie Wonder (another one of my favorite artists). Are Billie and him friends?

I wouldn't expect they know each other personally apart from the various award shows they have attended together over the years. They worked together (along with many other artists including Steven Tyler, Norah Jones [who Billie was actually standing next to on the stage when they performed], Slash, Bono, Alicia Keys, and Tim McGraw to name a few) on a cover of The Beatles/John Lennon's Across The Universe at the 2005 Grammy awards. It just goes to show what kind of professional relationships you can make across the music spectrum when you have artists from all over all in one collective space. Any sort of collaboration or project is possible.

I feel like Norah Jones fans will ALL buy this album (at least, the ones who always buy her albums) because although yes, this is a side project for her too, it's more in keeping with the soulful/low-key acousticy stuff she usually does. Green Day fans might not necessarily have interest, but Norah Jones fansgenerally would (and it's obvious based on their twitter reactions). Also because she's a solo artist, so this is another "Norah Jones" album for her fans. Billie's never put out a solo album, so he doesn't necessarily have this key demographic of solo fans, even though a lot of us are jumping at it. I am certainly excited, and I know a lot of us are, but I think the average Norah Jones fan is more likely to be interested in Everly Brothers songs than the average Green Day fan. She also might have an oh-so-slightly older fan base. Not Everley Brothers old, but I know a lot of 40+ people who are really into Norah Jones. Yes, Green Day has fans that age too, no doubt about it, but their primary fans are still teens/20somethings.

Also, remember that it was a Ray Charles cover album, with songs sung by Norah Jones, that BEAT American Idiot for Album of the Year in 2005. Just a reminder interesting tidbit. Would be sweet justice if this album did some kind of awesome critical trump, but it doesn't sound like they were doing it for any other reason than to have fun and didn't work too hard on making it some kind of masterpiece, just a really sweet set of duets.

What is this pin you're referring to? I mean I can kind of see it but not really sure what it is.
Thanks.

Same one he was wearing to Broadway idiot premieres and that his family members wore at his 40th birthday party (images removed since private?)

It's a pin with this picture on it, he's worn the pin to several public events lately which I find extremely amusing/adorable :lol: It's utterly charming that he's wearing it on the album cover !

hmij.jpg

Do you know if there will be physical copies of the cd or it'll only be on iTunes? :happy:

I'm curious to listen how the songs turn out to be. But I'm not "so" excited about it.

Billie can't look any cuter, can't he? :shy:

Well she has sold over 50 million records of her 5 albums has won multiple Grammys and awards I would say she's popular enough...

And she's only been around since 2002, less than half the time that Green Days been on the go...(yeah, I had to wiki her, I had no idea she was so popular).

I just listened to Long time gone that is on tumblr and well... Billie's voice of course, it's the sweetest thing :wub: but I couldn't understand norah jone's voice... :ermm: like I don't like it.

Looking forward to more!

Also, remember that it was a Ray Charles cover album, with songs sung by Norah Jones, that BEAT American Idiot for Album of the Year in 2005. Just a reminder interesting tidbit. Would be sweet justice if this album did some kind of awesome critical trump, but it doesn't sound like they were doing it for any other reason than to have fun and didn't work too hard on making it some kind of masterpiece, just a really sweet set of duets.

Thanks for that jog of memory! They didn't mention that in the Stereogum interview, lol.

Good point there, too. Glad to see him being so prolific. She's a great singer. I don't really listen her, but when I have, I've always like her. I didn't grow up on the Everley Brothers, but I grew up on Motown, blues, soul and some jazz, so I totally appreciate her voice. And they sound great together. I have a feeling it will become a classic set of duets, if this one song is any indication. Having fun is awesome!

The more I think about it the more I'm looking forward to this. It's just something different, yknow? And I think it'll really show off how good a singer Billie is. I'm never going to be a country fan, but Billie makes Long Time Gone listenable at least. His voice goes with Norah's better than I'd ever have thought possible.

This is the stuff my grandpa would play to me as a kid, can't wait to hear the whole album!

he was an adorably fat little shit wasn't he

Was? :P

I totally think this could sell well, because I feel like that type of fanbase Norah has is probably the type that still buys music (that sounds like it may be a backhanded compliment, but I don't mean it to be).

An example of music coming full circle ? Back in the early 60s the likes of Lennon/McCartney and Brian Wilson were listening to the Everly Brothers (amongst others) and thinking hmm.... now in 2013 is BJA making punk fans think likewise ?

It is nice to get a genuine surprise in this day and age. I like the backing arrangements which differentiate it from the original and definitely give it a chill factor. I think I will keep an eye on my usual leak sites so as to listen before opting to buy.

Archived