Mike Dirnt and Ex-Metallica Bass Player to appear at Bass Player Live

Connor Finlayson

The 2013 Bass Player Live! Concert and Awards Show is set for Nov. 9 at the Fonda Theatre in Hollywood, Calif., and the event is shaping up to feature a collection of high-profile bass slingers.Green Day’s Mike Dirnt and former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted have both been added to the lineup, with Dirnt on tap to present at the show and Newsted set to perform with Black Sabbath’s Geezer Butler.

Butler will also be honored at the show, and Newsted says he couldn’t be happier to be a part of the festivities. “Terry ‘Geezer’ Butler is my number one influence and greatest teacher of electric bass in Heavy Metal Music,” Newsted said in a statement. “All true metal bassists look up to Geezer as a pioneer and Godfather of our chosen instrument. The best, ever.”

Other big names set to perform with Geezer include Stone Sour and Slipknot frontman Corey Taylor, Megadeth’s David Ellefson, Anthrax’s Frank Bello and Slayer’s Kerry King.

In addition to the concert and awards show, the weekend will also bring the annual Bass Player Live! conference, an event bringing together musicians, equipment manufacturers and fans for special bass clinics, gear displays and more. The conference happens Nov. 9 and 10 at S.I.R. Studios in Hollywood.

Official Website http://bassplayer.com/bplive

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sounds awesome!!! I'm so happy that Mike is having more recognition, he deserves it! :happy:

Wait, is Mike performing? I'm confused. :lol:

Looks to me like Mike is hosting and the others named are performing.

Sounds really interesting and cool to me! Seeing Mike represent the band a lot more than ever before is such a great and well deserved thing!

I saw Newsted at Gigantour, and they were decent ("Whiplash" was the highlight of their performance). However, he looked and played like he wants to be James Hetfield. I don't know why, but I just don't like Jason. He is good, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish mike would preform instead of just present (like do a solo of basket case or w/e) but anyways it's nice to see the guys out and about especially when it's about music.

I wish mike would preform instead of just present (like do a solo of basket case or w/e) but anyways it's nice to see the guys out and about especially when it's about music.

Jason Newsted, ►MIKE DIRNT◄, Chris Broderick. Jim Norton and Sebastian Bach are scheduled to attend on Saturday, Nov 9 BASS PLAYER LIVE! 2013 Concert & Awards Show!
http://www.bassplayer.com/LIVE

580780_10151765825935665_1015769011_n.jp

Via Green Day Live on Tour :)

I can't see Mike's name in there :ermm:

Jason Newsted, ►MIKE DIRNT◄, Chris Broderick. Jim Norton and Sebastian Bach are scheduled to attend on Saturday, Nov 9 BASS PLAYER LIVE! 2013 Concert & Awards Show!

http://www.bassplayer.com/LIVE

580780_10151765825935665_1015769011_n.jp

Via Green Day Live on Tour :)

I can't see Mike's name in there :ermm:

Yeah, where's Mike???? :angry :ninja:

Archived