Broadway Idiot: Your Thoughts

Fuzz

Just finished watching the film and wanted to come here and see what people thought of it.

I really really enjoyed it. They did a great job of capturing everything that happened to produce the show, explained the story, and just did a really awesome job of showcasing what it was all about. Loved seeing Green Day's involvement. Favorite parts were that 1983 clip of 11 year old Billie Joe singing songs. There were more parts that got me all excited, like seeing Billie Joe when he first start practicing for St. Jimmy, and i absolutely loved seeing their reactions to hearing "Last Night On Earth" for the first time, I almost got all teary eyed. As I watched those scenes from opening night on Broadway i couldn't stop thinking "holy shit, that's the night I met him. Look there's his little suit and fluffy hair and I actually talked to him."

There were lots of little things that were really great to see again, to re-live, and hear some of the story about how it came together.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who's not a fan of the broadway musical existing, I really really liked this movie. Seeing all the work put into it and how involved Billie got gave me a whole new respect for the musical and even Billie himself. Will definitely buy the DVD whenever it comes out.

My only complaint is that I wish they had shown more of Billie actually acting in the show. They kinda just threw it in during the last 5 minutes. For some reason I was under the impression that it was a major point of focus for the movie.

I've watched it as well and I thought it was just perfect. Better than Cuatro! by miles, the documentary had a really personal feeling which was great. I found it really interesting when Billie was explaining that theater enabled him to make strong friendships that he was missing out on in the rock industry. All the new versions of the songs weren't cheesy at all (which was my fear), and I was tearing up a little at some of the harmonies.

I haven't actually seen the show, which kinda makes it weird that I'm seeing the behind the scenes documentary before I actually see the show, but it was lovely to gain insight into it on a new level. I think everyone involved has fallen so in love with the show and that's really nice to see. It makes me want to get in to theater to be honest :lol:

For anyone who hasn't seen the documentary yet, there's plenty of gifs and photosets on tumblr and stuff if you want to take a look.

I can't wait to watch it, but not sure how or when I'll be able to =/

same dear me too =/

I just finished watching it and I think it's a great film. I liked that there was a good balance between following Billie's story and seeing the actual production come to life. If anything it made me like the production more. I was kind of skeptical when they first announced it, but seeing the passion of the players and how some of them were previously connected to the album didn't make it corny like I thought it was going to be. Also, that clip of young Billie singing....priceless.

i just saw that you can purchase this on vudu. not sure if i should "Rent" it or just buy it.

or just pirate it like the rest of the world..

Just watched it! I liked it. I haven't seen the show at all, so all the clips in this doc were my first times seeing parts of the production and hearing the renditions of the songs. I've been to a few musicals and operas and they are so animated, purposely extravagant, exaggerated, and emotional. So to see how they translated American Idiot's story into an outrageous in your face, poetic performance is thrilling!

I didn't really follow much of this as it was going on a couple years ago. And now that they're touring more places, I'm starting to get into it. I'll be able to see it in December, so I finally understand what everyone's talking about lol.

My favorite part of the doc was when Billie, MM, and Tom Kitt were in the theatre, and Kitt was at the piano. And Billie was talking about his vocal lessons when he was a kid. And MM said, "that had to have some sort of impact on you" and then Kitt played WMUWSE and blended with another Broadway song, and you could hear the similarities and they were all blown away.

My phone finally played it watched it last night

I like it a lil bit better than Cuatro but not much and I love Cautro

Sucks google play file format won't play on pc just ny galaxy 4 so phone watch until the dvd in January

As the sort of fan who's seen BIAB multiple times, I could have done without those clips in favor of seeing more Broadway, but it definitely fits perfectly for 99% of viewers

I watched last night and oh my god, i cry during the whole movie! :lol:

I really really loved it, it was amazing seen this awesome record becoming a musical and i really love seen Billie feeling so proud about it.

I love that part where they show Billie at 11 years old singing, that video was to cute, and when they saw the cast performing Last Night On Earth for the first time, that was lovely.

The only bad thing is that i would loved if they showed more things about Billie and the days he was St. Jimmy, they just show a few minutes and that wasn't enough for me! :P

But besides that, the whole thing was very emotional, and i am now more in love with Green Day than a few days ago, i need to watch this again! :wub:

It has a score of 48 on Metacritic :(

It's brand new and it's not a major release, give it a little time for more people to watch and review it.

I loved the film. It brought back so many memories of seeing the show and going to meet Billie. It was an awesome time. Them recording 21 Guns makes me tear up everytime.

I loved it. I was laughing and crying and cheering and sometimes singing along within the theater along with everyone else haha. I'm so glad I bought it off iTunes to watch it again. I even got a poster after the Q&A and met Christine Sajous and got a picture with her :)

Of course buying it from Amazon wasn't possible for me.. I was really excited to finally watch it and now it seems I'll have to wait again. What a pity! There's no concrete date for us Europeans (apart from England) yet, is there? =/

It must be such an amazing movie. Everyone who's watched it seems to confirm that and I could finally somehow relive seeing the musical in California in the summer of 2012!

Excuse me but I don't understand the system to see Brodway idiot on demand, I actually suck in informatic, I'd like to know if someone could host the film somewhere where it's easy to use ? Like Vimeo, DailyMotion or stuff like that...

This movie seems awesome.

Excuse me but I don't understand the system to see Brodway idiot on demand, I actually suck in informatic, I'd like to know if someone could host the film somewhere where it's easy to use ? Like Vimeo, DailyMotion or stuff like that...

This movie seems awesome.

On demand is pay for though, they aren't going to release it somewhere it can be watched for free. Unfortunately you can't watch it if you're outside of America.

Archived