Stupidest thing you've ever seen written about Green Day?

Spike

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read this article that said "As soon as green day sold a million records, they lost all punk cred."

what the fuck? haha they are literally saying that just because theyre GOOD, theyre not punk. its bullshit, being punk shouldnt be about whether alot of people like you or not. the author of that article is ignorant as fuck.

I read this article that said "As soon as green day sold a million records, they lost all punk cred."

what the fuck? haha they are literally saying that just because theyre GOOD, theyre not punk. its bullshit, being punk shouldnt be about whether alot of people like you or not. the author of that article is ignorant as fuck.

I agree, would punk have been so successful in the first place if not for the popularity of the Ramones, Sex Pistols, Clash and so on? And there's no denying they were punk.

But unfortunately that was the view of a lot of Gilman fanatics at the time Green Day made it. A very blinkered view in my opinion, and nothing to do with maintaining punk purity. It's elitist and, let's be honest, by today's standards it can be considered kinda hipster.

Back in the 1990s, with a massive crisis and a couple of wars the country was involved in, our magazine writers would improvise a lot.

So, in one article, Billie was quoted as saying "Throw mud at gay people!" at Woodstock 1994. I don't even want to know how many people believed it. It was partly inability of the author to translate the January 1995 Rolling Stone cover feature due to poor English skills, and partly a result of them being sort of jealous that a band like that made it.

In another, the same person called Billie "a short-ass spit-firer". That's libel. For absolutely no reason other than the author not being able to stand him.

The best part about this? Person responsible for most of this shit later founded a celebrity tabloid called SCANDAL! Years later, we accidental met, worked on a project together. it ended with him calling me a hateful person. Ummm, dude, and what are you?

:(

A Christian reviewer genuinely thought Billie meant every word of "Brat" seriously, and warned that children who listened to the album would follow him in killing their parents.

That Billie joe is Canadian,that's why he wrote American Idiot

1314029819767.png

People...

How would they explain this then? :P

Billie Joe's real last name is Armstrong.

Even Rolling Stone has suffered from this thing, let alone cheap tabloids and crappy teen mags.

When people say they love Billie and hate Adie. Oh fuck no. Billie's my hero and idol, but I'd never talk shit about Adrienne. Especially when they say she's ugly and mean, just get the fuck off. That woman is gorgeous and Billie is a damn lucky man to have her.

It actually means the whole "package" of testicles and penis. Just to make sure the definition's accurate :D

But yeah, being a fan of both the music and Billie Joe's package is pretty awesome :happy:. Not sure why anyone would think enjoying one would exclude someone from enjoying the other.

Being a fan of his package shouldn't automatically make you a fangirl, that's a horrible stereotype. Also this "package" talk reminds me of that episode of How I Met Your Mother when Lily is talking about Marshal having a complete package.

Also, hi everyone I love Billie Joe and his package. Oh, and his music too, that stuff is good.

Being a fan of his package shouldn't automatically make you a fangirl, that's a horrible stereotype.

I agree but I didn't mention fangirls, I only said being a fan of Billie's package doesn't mean you can't also be a fan of the music or vice versa.

I've just been reminded of a comment on some news story on another website 5 or 6 years ago. It was something along the lines of "Greenday is sooo shit and poo lyk dey even hav a guitar player called Mike Dirt why else would they do dat?"

I've just been reminded of a comment on some news story on another website 5 or 6 years ago. It was something along the lines of "Greenday is sooo shit and poo lyk dey even hav a guitar player called Mike Dirt why else would they do dat?"

That actually sounds exactly like something I'd write.

Oh, this one made me mad: the reviewer for PopCrush said "Oh Love" was a shorter and slightly more accessible version of "Jesus of Suburbia". HOW THE EVERLOVING FUCK IS THAT THE CASE?! Did the reviewer even listen to either song?!

Oh, this one made me mad: the reviewer for PopCrush said "Oh Love" was a shorter and slightly more accessible version of "Jesus of Suburbia". HOW THE EVERLOVING FUCK IS THAT THE CASE?! Did the reviewer even listen to either song?!

who is it i have to fucking kill?

My friend sent me a message on Facebook saying how green day should burn in hell and so should I. Then proceeded to send me links to a very one-sided hypocritical megachristian articles on how it brainwashed people...

Does that count?

Not exactly something I read, but on the way home from Riot Fest my friend and I were having an arguement about Green Day. He only listens to 39/Smooth and Kerplunk and says that he doesnt like American Idiot because it doesnt have any "emotion". I told him he obviously must not have heard the same album that I did.

I also went on to tell him that even if he doesn't like the album, he can't deny the fact that it is one of the most emotional, heartfelt peices of music ever created.

Not exactly something I read, but on the way home from Riot Fest my friend and I were having an arguement about Green Day. He only listens to 39/Smooth and Kerplunk and says that he doesnt like American Idiot because it doesnt have any "emotion". I told him he obviously must not have heard the same album that I did.

I also went on to tell him that even if he doesn't like the album, he can't deny the fact that it is one of the most emotional, heartfelt peices of music ever created.

oh no

don't tell me someone had a different opinion than you! how stupid!

And where did I say that he was "stupid"? Saying American Idiot doesn't have any emotion is like saying Dookie didn't sell 20 million copies.

And where did I say that he was "stupid"?

What is the name of this thread.

It's called an opinion. Your friend is allowed to have one - get this - even if it contradicts your own! Shocker!

What is the name of this thread.

It's called an opinion. Your friend is allowed to have one - get this - even if it contradicts your own! Shocker!

Surely whether there's emotion on a record or not isn't a matter of opinion, though? It's just a fact. The opinion is whether the person in question likes it or not, and I don't see their right to that opinion being questioned.

Surely whether there's emotion on a record or not isn't a matter of opinion, though?

It's up for debate, surely, but there's no question that your perception of the emotion contained in any work of art is entirely subjective. Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt, for example, I find extremely boring and soulless. For some reason other people consider it better and more powerful than the original - even Trent Reznor has stated he feels this way and stated that it's "no longer his song".

Archived