Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Similar sounding parts in different songs

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Minigun

Minigun
  • Alone + Easy Target

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,264 rep

The riffs to "16" and "When I Come Around" are the same, "16" is just faster and a bit different. And "Lazy Bones" sounds a hell of alot like "Give Me Novacaine" when the guitar comes in before the singing.

fromdecimateddreams

fromdecimateddreams
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2013
  • 739 rep

The one that really annoys me: "Lazy Bones" and "99 Revolutions" have the same drum intro. The exact. Goddam. Same. You cannot tell the difference between the two until the guitar comes in.

Actually, if you listen really closely, the intro to Lazy Bones is just a hair faster and a lot less staccato than 99 Revolutions.

Jon Benjamin

Jon Benjamin
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  • Joined Dec 21, 2006
  • 548 rep

The most obvious examples:

"Deadbeat Holiday" 's verses and "American Eulogy" 's verses sound almost identical.

"Shoplifter" and "Dirty Rotten Bastards" have incredibly similar verses, and "Amy" 's chorus sounds just like "Shoplifter" 's (thanks to Ceadog for bringing the latter to our attention).

"Church on Sunday" and "The Static Age" are in the same key and have very similar-sounding portions.

The one that really annoys me: "Lazy Bones" and "99 Revolutions" have the same drum intro. The exact. Goddam. Same. You cannot tell the difference between the two until the guitar comes in.

Theres totally a difference in the drum intros. Lazy bones has a rim shot 99 is just tom
  • Asa. and St. Christian Of Suburbia like this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,745 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,222 rep

The riffs to "16" and "When I Come Around" are the same, "16" is just faster and a bit different. 

WICA = G-D-E-C

16 = B-A-E

Really not the same.

• JOE THE X-KID likes this

Minigun

Minigun
  • Alone + Easy Target

• 3,260 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,264 rep

WICA = G-D-E-C

16 = B-A-E

Really not the same.

I don't give a shit about the chords, listen to them and compare them. 

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 16,745 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,222 rep

I don't give a shit about the chords, listen to them and compare them. 

Really don't hear it at all man.

StuckWithInsomnia

StuckWithInsomnia
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Joined May 26, 2012
  • 451 rep

Theres a little solo in Angel Blue that sounds like one they sometimes played in live versions of American Idiot.

The second riff in All The Time sounds like the riff in Westbound Sign.

Minigun

Minigun
  • Alone + Easy Target

• 3,260 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,264 rep

Really don't hear it at all man.

Okay, listening to them just now, not as close as I remembered (I haven't listened to either one in ages), but they're still similar.

X-Kid_88

X-Kid_88
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2013
  • 49 rep

POPULAR

Stop when the red lights flash verses and Nobody cares from Homecoming are really similar. I've though that for absolute ages. There's an extra A in SWTRLF and a wee half beat extra in the strumming

• Dalya, Darth Praxus, DookieLukie and 2 others like this

Doctor of Pepper

Doctor of Pepper
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Joined Apr 14, 2013
  • 335 rep
  • Surprised no one's mentioned the similarities between 27th Ave. Shuffle and Wow! That's Loud.
  • The instrumental break towards the end of Coming Clean reminds me of the verses of Favorite Son.
  • A bit of Haushinka was used later as the verse melodies in Walking Contradiction.
  • The opening guitar in LYG brings to mind the end of Tales of Another Broken Home.
  • I don't know what it is, but something about Fuck Time reminds me of Sally.
  • The chord progressions in Poprocks & Coke and Church on Sunday.
  • Blood, Sex, & Booze, Mother Mary, and Stray Heart.
  • Last Night on Earth ("I'm sending all my love to you" in the verses) and the solo in Wild One.
  • The melodies of the following lines: "Deadbeat Holiday..."; "Hey, Gloria..."; "This whiskey sour...".
  • The intros to Brutal Love and Are We the Waiting.
  • The melodies of the following lines from the trilogy: "Bring me back..." (Sweet 16); "Oh love..." (Oh Love); "Me to..." (SWTRLF); "This time..." (Walk Away).
  • This one part of Roshambo reminds me of "Well, she said 'I can't...'" in Letterbomb.

• DookieLukie and Oxymore like this

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• 11,636 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,162 rep

Okay, listening to them just now, not as close as I remembered (I haven't listened to either one in ages), but they're still similar.

I know what you mean man, never thought of it before though

StillMakingNoise

StillMakingNoise
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2013
  • 8 rep

"Deadbeat Holiday" 's verses and "American Eulogy" 's verses sound almost identical.

"Shoplifter" and "Dirty Rotten Bastards" have incredibly similar verses, and "Amy" 's chorus sounds just like "Shoplifter" 's (thanks to Ceadog for bringing the latter to our attention).

"Church on Sunday" and "The Static Age" are in the same key and have very similar-sounding portions.

I agree with all this except the last one. It is the same beat and similar as hell, but in the Lazy Bones intro Tre is doing eighth note rimclicks, while in 99 hes just doing the backbeat. just puttin my four heypennies in there.  

bagelfeet

bagelfeet
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Joined May 03, 2013
  • 144 rep

• Surprised no one's mentioned the similarities between 27th Ave. Shuffle and Wow! That's Loud.
  • The instrumental break towards the end of Coming Clean reminds me of the verses of Favorite Son.
  • A bit of Haushinka was used later as the verse melodies in Walking Contradiction.
  • The opening guitar in LYG brings to mind the end of Tales of Another Broken Home.
  • I don't know what it is, but something about Fuck Time reminds me of Sally.
  • The chord progressions in Poprocks & Coke and Church on Sunday.
  • Blood, Sex, & Booze, Mother Mary, and Stray Heart.
  • Last Night on Earth ("I'm sending all my love to you" in the verses) and the solo in Wild One.
  • The melodies of the following lines: "Deadbeat Holiday..."; "Hey, Gloria..."; "This whiskey sour...".
  • The intros to Brutal Love and Are We the Waiting.
  • The melodies of the following lines from the trilogy: "Bring me back..." (Sweet 16); "Oh love..." (Oh Love); "Me to..." (SWTRLF); "This time..." (Walk Away).
  • This one part of Roshambo reminds me of "Well, she said 'I can't...'" in Letterbomb.
the beginning of Sally has the same chord progression as the chorus of Fuck Time. It's E-G-A-C. It's also used in the chorus of Welcome to Paradise

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • Only enough to control you.

• 11,640 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 11,568 rep

the beginning of Sally has the same chord progression as the chorus of Fuck Time. It's E-G-A-C. It's also used in the chorus of Welcome to Paradise

And East Jesus Nowhere.

bagelfeet

bagelfeet
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Joined May 03, 2013
  • 144 rep

And East Jesus Nowhere.

never noticed that!

Advertising

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • Only enough to control you.

• 11,640 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 11,568 rep

never noticed that!

Easily missed really, it does have a slightly different feel with the shift to the B chord after the C. I only noticed because I learned them on guitar on the same day!

Jean

Jean
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts
  • Joined Dec 01, 2012
  • 3,796 rep

The guitar solos in All the Time and Prosthetic Head.

UnoDosTreCuatro

UnoDosTreCuatro
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined Aug 24, 2013
  • 10 rep

Also in shoplifter, that one little bit sounds like another little bit from blood, sex, and booze, when he says "All the blood, sex, and booze, you give me". You probably noticed, too.

UnoDosTreCuatro

UnoDosTreCuatro
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Joined Aug 24, 2013
  • 10 rep

Another that is really interesting is that the guitars of almost all of the song Fashion Victim sound like the beginning of the section right after the "rock and roll" section (where it's all like "I got a rock and roll girl friend" really obnoxiously) in the song Homecoming.

Zack.

Zack.
  • #NOIDED

• 3,967 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2010
  • 1,922 rep

Another that is really interesting is that the guitars of almost all of the song Fashion Victim sound like the beginning of the section right after the "rock and roll" section (where it's all like "I got a rock and roll girl friend" really obnoxiously) in the song Homecoming.

That section is called "We're Coming Home Again", and yes, the first three bars of the first phrase are rhythmically similar to Fashion Victim. Two strums of a chord, then a triplet of mutes. I think it's in swing time too, but I'm not entirely sure.

• UnoDosTreCuatro likes this

Occam's Chainsaw

Occam's Chainsaw
  • I'm a fake doctor. Don't trust me.

• 15,407 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 9,582 rep

This one I don't get. In Lazy Bones, Tre has a beat bu either hitting his sticks together or the rim of something on his kit, it's very distinct.
  • SumDay, Doctor of Pepper, X-Kid_88 and 1 other like this

Oxymore

Oxymore
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,557 posts
  • Joined Sep 17, 2013
  • 2,468 rep

Try to put together the begging of Holiday, then Lazy Bones, then 99 Revolutions, and The Static Age.

porksoda

porksoda
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Joined May 06, 2009
  • 369 rep

The second half of the solo in "Fuck Time" sounds like the solo in My Chemical Romance's "Teenagers"

Jon Benjamin

Jon Benjamin
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  • Joined Dec 21, 2006
  • 548 rep
Maria and Let Yourself Go are similar, Lights Out and Supermodel Robots (intro), Alligator and Troublemaker

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,567 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 837 rep
Troublemaker is just Fuck Time...

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 16,745 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,222 rep

Fuck Time is just Fire by Jimi Hendrix except not as good. Listen to them. It'll blow your mind.

Firecracker Lell

Firecracker Lell
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,536 posts
  • Joined Apr 27, 2012
  • 3,515 rep
Intro of Letterbomb & lights out. They sound so similar while listening.

Spinelli

Spinelli
  • 11,853 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 6,771 rep

Lazy bones and 99 sounds the same but it isn't the same
They don't match up when you mix them together

ever time the intro to one of them comes on shuffle, i challenge myself to guess which song it is & i'm right like 99% of the time :lol: i can't even tell the difference, if you asked me what it was i'd have no clue but i can tell them apart most of the time.

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,567 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 837 rep

ever time the intro to one of them comes on shuffle, i challenge myself to guess which song it is & i'm right like 99% of the time :lol: i can't even tell the difference, if you asked me what it was i'd have no clue but i can tell them apart most of the time.

Lol yeah they are alike but they do have some differences I've never been into drumsbso I couldn't tell ya what exactly is difference

But if you took just the drums intro and load em into a music editor and let em play they don't match up except for a second in the middle (I was bored on day)

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • British Idiot.

• 15,210 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 2,628 rep

The riffs to "16" and "When I Come Around" are the same, "16" is just faster and a bit different. And "Lazy Bones" sounds a hell of alot like "Give Me Novacaine" when the guitar comes in before the singing.

WICA = G-D-E-C

16 = B-A-E

Really not the same.

The similarity I can see is the strumming pattern is pretty close, and on both riffs, when you play the E chord, you play the high notes too. Or I do anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users