Similar sounding parts in different songs

UnoDosTreCuatro

The one that really annoys me: "Lazy Bones" and "99 Revolutions" have the same drum intro. The exact. Goddam. Same. You cannot tell the difference between the two until the guitar comes in.

Two songs both using kick hat snare hat drums? How surprising.

That's also pretty similar to Geek Stink Breath and When I Come Around:

G-----------------

D-----------------

A-----2-3-----3-2-

E-3-3-----1-1-----

G-----3-4-3---------------

D-4-4-------4-----3-4-3---

A-------------4-4-------4-

E-------------------------

Mike seems to utilise those kinds of fills a lot though, it's very indicative of his style.

I haven't looked at GSB for a long time, but that WICA has a couple extra notes in it. Without them it's nothing like either of the others.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And same tempo, accents, general feel and production.

Two identical drum beats from the same session have similar production and playing style? How surprising.

It was a faux pas to use that as an intro twice. Doesn't make it an anomaly.

Two identical drum beats from the same session have similar production and playing style? How surprising.

It was a faux pas to use that as an intro twice. Doesn't make it an anomaly.

The point is, he could have done something else to make it ANY different whatsoever. The thread is asking what sounds similar, the two parts in question sound literally identical. That's all I'm getting at.

Lazy bones and 99 sounds the same but it isn't the same

They don't match up when you mix them together

The riffs to "16" and "When I Come Around" are the same, "16" is just faster and a bit different. And "Lazy Bones" sounds a hell of alot like "Give Me Novacaine" when the guitar comes in before the singing.

The one that really annoys me: "Lazy Bones" and "99 Revolutions" have the same drum intro. The exact. Goddam. Same. You cannot tell the difference between the two until the guitar comes in.

Actually, if you listen really closely, the intro to Lazy Bones is just a hair faster and a lot less staccato than 99 Revolutions.

The most obvious examples:

"Deadbeat Holiday" 's verses and "American Eulogy" 's verses sound almost identical.

"Shoplifter" and "Dirty Rotten Bastards" have incredibly similar verses, and "Amy" 's chorus sounds just like "Shoplifter" 's (thanks to Ceadog for bringing the latter to our attention).

"Church on Sunday" and "The Static Age" are in the same key and have very similar-sounding portions.

Theres totally a difference in the drum intros. Lazy bones has a rim shot 99 is just tom

WICA = G-D-E-C

16 = B-A-E

Really not the same.

I don't give a shit about the chords, listen to them and compare them.

Theres a little solo in Angel Blue that sounds like one they sometimes played in live versions of American Idiot.

The second riff in All The Time sounds like the riff in Westbound Sign.

Really don't hear it at all man.

Okay, listening to them just now, not as close as I remembered (I haven't listened to either one in ages), but they're still similar.

Stop when the red lights flash verses and Nobody cares from Homecoming are really similar. I've though that for absolute ages. There's an extra A in SWTRLF and a wee half beat extra in the strumming

• Surprised no one's mentioned the similarities between 27th Ave. Shuffle and Wow! That's Loud.
  • The instrumental break towards the end of Coming Clean reminds me of the verses of Favorite Son.
  • A bit of Haushinka was used later as the verse melodies in Walking Contradiction.
  • The opening guitar in LYG brings to mind the end of Tales of Another Broken Home.
  • I don't know what it is, but something about Fuck Time reminds me of Sally.
  • The chord progressions in Poprocks & Coke and Church on Sunday.
  • Blood, Sex, & Booze, Mother Mary, and Stray Heart.
  • Last Night on Earth ("I'm sending all my love to you" in the verses) and the solo in Wild One.
  • The melodies of the following lines: "Deadbeat Holiday..."; "Hey, Gloria..."; "This whiskey sour...".
  • The intros to Brutal Love and Are We the Waiting.
  • The melodies of the following lines from the trilogy: "Bring me back..." (Sweet 16); "Oh love..." (Oh Love); "Me to..." (SWTRLF); "This time..." (Walk Away).
  • This one part of Roshambo reminds me of "Well, she said 'I can't...'" in Letterbomb.

Okay, listening to them just now, not as close as I remembered (I haven't listened to either one in ages), but they're still similar.

I know what you mean man, never thought of it before though

"Deadbeat Holiday" 's verses and "American Eulogy" 's verses sound almost identical.

"Shoplifter" and "Dirty Rotten Bastards" have incredibly similar verses, and "Amy" 's chorus sounds just like "Shoplifter" 's (thanks to Ceadog for bringing the latter to our attention).

"Church on Sunday" and "The Static Age" are in the same key and have very similar-sounding portions.

I agree with all this except the last one. It is the same beat and similar as hell, but in the Lazy Bones intro Tre is doing eighth note rimclicks, while in 99 hes just doing the backbeat. just puttin my four heypennies in there.

• Surprised no one's mentioned the similarities between 27th Ave. Shuffle and Wow! That's Loud.
  • The instrumental break towards the end of Coming Clean reminds me of the verses of Favorite Son.
  • A bit of Haushinka was used later as the verse melodies in Walking Contradiction.
  • The opening guitar in LYG brings to mind the end of Tales of Another Broken Home.
  • I don't know what it is, but something about Fuck Time reminds me of Sally.
  • The chord progressions in Poprocks & Coke and Church on Sunday.
  • Blood, Sex, & Booze, Mother Mary, and Stray Heart.
  • Last Night on Earth ("I'm sending all my love to you" in the verses) and the solo in Wild One.
  • The melodies of the following lines: "Deadbeat Holiday..."; "Hey, Gloria..."; "This whiskey sour...".
  • The intros to Brutal Love and Are We the Waiting.
  • The melodies of the following lines from the trilogy: "Bring me back..." (Sweet 16); "Oh love..." (Oh Love); "Me to..." (SWTRLF); "This time..." (Walk Away).
  • This one part of Roshambo reminds me of "Well, she said 'I can't...'" in Letterbomb.
the beginning of Sally has the same chord progression as the chorus of Fuck Time. It's E-G-A-C. It's also used in the chorus of Welcome to Paradise

the beginning of Sally has the same chord progression as the chorus of Fuck Time. It's E-G-A-C. It's also used in the chorus of Welcome to Paradise

And East Jesus Nowhere.

never noticed that!

Easily missed really, it does have a slightly different feel with the shift to the B chord after the C. I only noticed because I learned them on guitar on the same day!

Also in shoplifter, that one little bit sounds like another little bit from blood, sex, and booze, when he says "All the blood, sex, and booze, you give me". You probably noticed, too.

Another that is really interesting is that the guitars of almost all of the song Fashion Victim sound like the beginning of the section right after the "rock and roll" section (where it's all like "I got a rock and roll girl friend" really obnoxiously) in the song Homecoming.

Another that is really interesting is that the guitars of almost all of the song Fashion Victim sound like the beginning of the section right after the "rock and roll" section (where it's all like "I got a rock and roll girl friend" really obnoxiously) in the song Homecoming.

That section is called "We're Coming Home Again", and yes, the first three bars of the first phrase are rhythmically similar to Fashion Victim. Two strums of a chord, then a triplet of mutes. I think it's in swing time too, but I'm not entirely sure.

Archived