Similar sounding parts in different songs

UnoDosTreCuatro

There are plenty of parts in Green Day songs where you hear it, and a little lightbulb goes off in your head, and you realize that it sounds similar to another part in another Green Day song. I know quite a few, but the most recent I've noticed is the beginning of Cigarettes & Valentines, which is very similar to the beginning of Nice Guys Finish Last. I'm interested in what all of you have noticed, or ones that you don't think anyone else noticed.

p.s. Do you guys also really wish that they would release the album Cigarettes & Valentines, or at least more of it?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most obvious examples:

"Deadbeat Holiday" 's verses and "American Eulogy" 's verses sound almost identical.

"Shoplifter" and "Dirty Rotten Bastards" have incredibly similar verses, and "Amy" 's chorus sounds just like "Shoplifter" 's (thanks to Ceadog for bringing the latter to our attention).

"Church on Sunday" and "The Static Age" are in the same key and have very similar-sounding portions.

The one that really annoys me: "Lazy Bones" and "99 Revolutions" have the same drum intro. The exact. Goddam. Same. You cannot tell the difference between the two until the guitar comes in.

Lazy Bones also sounds like Favourite Son.

Mother Mary and Stray Heart are quite similar.

The intros of 2000 Light Years Away and Chump are very similar.

I think Church On Sunday and American Eulogy are the worst offenders.

Letterbomb and Viva La Gloria sound a lot alike at different points throughout both songs. And almost every song on 39/Smooth sounds the same.

The intros of 2000 Light Years Away and Chump are very similar.

Throw Scattered in there too.

Sometimes I can start off humming Only of You and then end up into One of My Lies

...how? :lol:

The solo guitar part in Before the Lobotomy sounds a lot like the rift from American Idiot if it was a little drunk

"St. Jimmy" and "Jaded" could be quite easily interchanged—and indeed have been, in the band's live setlists.

"St. Jimmy" and "Jaded" could be quite easily interchanged—and indeed have been, in the band's live setlists.

Jaded has the exact same riff as Paper Lanterns. Might be down half a step though.

I feel like we've had this thread so many times already XD

Umm...

Verses of Rusty James and Scattered are pretty much the same when it comes to the verses.

Parts of the verses and pre chorus of Carpe Diem is almost like "and I know that I will someday, and I know that I will suffocate, suffocate, suffocate." The vocal melodies.

One of My Lies and Basket Case have the same chord progression in the verses.

The chorus of Angel Blue could be the chorus of Private Ale.

the let yourself go intro is like Maria's and you could still sing part of the verses of Maria in let yourself go.

I guess Troublemaker is like a watered down version of the bridge to Prosthetic Head.

Lazy Bones is like Roshambo from The Network.

The chorus of Cigarettes and Valentines is kinda like the "i'm not growing up, i'm just burning out" from Burnout.

The intro of 86 and Achin to Be from Pinhead Gunpowder are the same.

the verses of 27 from Pinhead Gunpowder is exactly like the vocal melody from chorus of Android.

The Too Much Too Soon and Life During Wartime (Pinhead Gunpowder) intros

Uhh if you wanna go there, this one pisses me off the most. but sally by Foxboro is literally I'm Not Your Steppin Stone by The Monkees.

and....that's all I can think of so far.

also, 409 In Your Coffeemaker, the bass during "I'm looking, back now at, what I have, have done wrong" is the same in another song, I don't remember which one though, can anybody help me out on this?

I feel like we've had this thread so many times already XD

Umm...

Verses of Rusty James and Scattered are pretty much the same when it comes to the verses.

Parts of the verses and pre chorus of Carpe Diem is almost like "and I know that I will someday, and I know that I will suffocate, suffocate, suffocate." The vocal melodies.

One of My Lies and Basket Case have the same chord progression in the verses.

The chorus of Angel Blue could be the chorus of Private Ale.

the let yourself go intro is like Maria's and you could still sing part of the verses in Maria in let yourself go.

I guess Troublemaker is like a watered down version of the bridge to Prosthetic Head.

Lazy Bones is like Roshambo from The Network.

The chorus of Cigarettes and Valentines is kinda like the "i'm not growing up, i'm just burning out" from Burnout.

The intro of 86 and Achin to Be from Pinhead Gunpowder are the same.

The Too Much Too Soon and Life During Wartime (Pinhead Gunpowder) intros

Uhh if you wanna go there, this one pisses me off the most. but sally by Foxboro is literally I'm Not Your Steppin Stone by The Monkees.

and....that's all I can think of so far.

Yes! Basket Case and One of My Lies definitely.

Alligator - You Really Got Me (by the kinks?)

She's a Saint, Not a Celebrity -Summertime Blues (The Who's version)

A lot of the trilogy songs have very similar drum parts.

Basically every song in uno dos and tre have either the same or very similar drumbeats

Beat you to it ;)

also, 409 In Your Coffeemaker, the bass during "I'm looking, back now at, what I have, have done wrong" is the same in another song, I don't remember which one though, can anybody help me out on this?

That's just G --> C, could be any number of Green Day songs :lol:

Also, Alligator by the Foxies = You Really Got Me by The Kinks.

That's just G --> C, could be any number of Green Day songs :lol:

Also, Alligator by the Foxies = You Really Got Me by The Kinks.

the bass tabs for 409 go

G|------------------------|

D|------------------------|

A|-----2-3-2-----0-1-0-|

E|-3-3-------1-1--------|

and All the Time goes like this

G[------------------]

D[------------------]

A[---4-5-4----2-3-2-]

E[-5--------3-------]

same fucking thing

Homecoming and Dirty Rotten Bastards have similar parts - the verse right before Nobody Likes You in the former has the same chord progression and general similar feel to "I've got the urge to binge and surge..." in the latter.

the bass tabs for 409 go

A|-----2-3-2-----0-1-0-|

G[------------------]

D[------------------]

A[---4-5-4----2-3-2-]

E[-5--------3-------]

same fucking thing

Oh I thought you meant the chorus, my bad. Yeah, there's no way Billie Joe would use a catchy little thing like that just once.

Which part of All The Time is that from by the way?

Oh I thought you meant the chorus, my bad. Yeah, there's no way Billie Joe would use a catchy little thing like that just once.

Which part of All The Time is that from by the way?

It's the bridge

"Having the time of my life, watching the clock tick"

Don't even remember it. Haven't listened to Nimrod in bloody ages.

Also, the end of Christie Road = 16

I quickly added to my post, it's during "Having the time of my life, watching the clock tick"

the bass tabs for 409 go

A|-----2-3-2-----0-1-0-|

G[------------------]

D[------------------]

A[---4-5-4----2-3-2-]

E[-5--------3-------]

same fucking thing

That's also pretty similar to Geek Stink Breath and When I Come Around:

G-----------------

D-----------------

A-----2-3-----3-2-

E-3-3-----1-1-----

G-----3-4-3---------------

D-4-4-------4-----3-4-3---

A-------------4-4-------4-

E-------------------------

Mike seems to utilise those kinds of fills a lot though, it's very indicative of his style.

Archived