Billie Joe filming movie in New York - Like Sunday Like Rain

desertrose

I don't know why but that made me laugh. I must be overly tired.

AT least to me, his voice did not sound that squeaky when he was younger. It is kind of like he went through reverse puberty.

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, he´s no Sean Connery or Ian McKellen. But a mighty good Billie Joe Armstrong. :)

AT least to me, his voice did not sound that squeaky when he was younger. It is kind of like he went through reverse puberty.

I think he used to just have more of a sullen manner that caused him to speak in a low kind of moody teenager style voice. Now he's grown out of that and speaks in a more animated way so his naturally higher voice comes through.

I think he used to just have more of a sullen manner that caused him to speak in a low kind of moody teenager style voice. Now he's grown out of that and speaks in a more animated way so his naturally higher voice comes through.

I love how you always let a light shine on them. :)

• 4 weeks later...

if anyone is interested this is available from Amazon now.

Not in Germany oO What! Not even an english version.

But when I search "Like Sunday like rain" it gives me a track from 1999 called "Nighlive" by the Buddhas :rolleyes:

I am actually watching it as I type. I will give a review when its done. But he was actually good in his first scene and looked spectacular.

I finished watching it.

Leighton Meester was fantastic, stole the film.

The kid was quite good too.

Debra Messing and Billie's characters existed for one purpose, to show what state the lead characters were in. Neither character was given alot to work with.

I think Billie was very good. He was in two scenes, for about 10 minutes total. Like I said, the purpose of the character was to convey the sorry state the lead character was in. With what he was given, I think he accomplished that, admirably. The problem I had was that the dialogue did not fit the character (I will say more in a spoiler). So, the nature of the character did not come through fully. I remember reading that the character actually took a different direction than originally intended and that it was Billie's idea to change it. If that is the case, I think he was right. There was no way to get the characters purpose across without the performance being over the top, since the time and dialogue given was so limited. Also, I often wondered what are people seeing that he is starting to get movie roles. After watching this, I think I know what it is. His delivery of his lines were not bad, but he needs work. What he excelled at was his maneurisms and facial expressions. He was able to convey his feelings much better without words. Overall, I think he was quite good. I don't think we will be having a GDC Oscar watching party for this, but he was good. He was able to accomplish the purpose of the character. Based on this performance, I think that with some work, he can be quite good. I understand why he is being cast in some films.

Overall, I thought the film was good. It really was a study in an unusual friendship. Alot of the background info was conveyed during conversations. At first, I thought there are better, more interesting ways to to get the necessary background information, but after watching the whole film I think the simplicity of the conversations really worked. The ending was both sad, happy and touching.

I recommend the film, not just for Billie, but it was good.

And he looked spectacular.

The issue I mentioned above about the dialogue really took away from Billie's ability with the delivery. He was supposed to be a down on your luck, sleazy musician. Who reallly just worked for UPS. In his second scene, he is basically begging Leighton Meester to take him back. He has one line where he says: "I've been so despondent since you left." A sleazy musician would never say he was despondent, he would say something like: "I've been fucking out of my mind since you left." So, I found that it didn't work not because of Billie, but because the dialogue just didn't fit the character.

One of my favorite scenes is where the kid offers to hire a hit man to kill Billie.

Not in Germany oO What! Not even an english version.

But when I search "Like Sunday like rain" it gives me a track from 1999 called "Nighlive" by the Buddhas :rolleyes:

Nightlife :ninja: is what I read.

Started watching, but wasn´t ready for the slow tempo. Try it another day when I´m in the right mood. But I admit: BJ is doing a really good job! Seeing the full scene and flow and in the context he doesn´t need to hide as an actor. He´s got power!

I was actually quite impressed with how billie did. I think it's so hard to see because his character was underused and he didn't really do anything that stood out. He wasn't given much to work with, but what he was given he did well in. This didn't allow him to be as good as he could be. This made me really excited for geezer. I think billie has just a natural ability to lure someone in. He's very good at conveying a story. So I think geezer will be able to show what he can really do.

I was actually quite impressed with how billie did. I think it's so hard to see because his character was underused and he didn't really do anything that stood out. He wasn't given much to work with, but what he was given he did well in. This didn't allow him to be as good as he could be. This made me really excited for geezer. I think billie has just a natural ability to lure someone in. He's very good at conveying a story. So I think geezer will be able to show what he can really do.

I absolutely agree with this. I thought his mannerisms and facial expressions were pretty darn close to spot on. He does need to work with his delivery, but as you said, he was not given alot to work with. I thought he did the best with the character as he could.

The problem I had was the dialogue did not fit the character. When he was begging her to take him back, he had a line like: "I've been so despondent since you left. A greasy, down on his luck musician would not say that. They would say something like: "I've been fucking out of my mind since you left."

Just watched the whole movie now. A tender, silent little film. It´s for a great deal about eating. They are always eating. Sometimes a bit long-drawn-out, a bit boring. But all in all a sweet movie. The little boy is amazing. Don´t know whether I will ever watch it a second time, ´cause it´s a bit of a tranquilizer. But it´s got its charme. Nevertheless somebody should have taught the little boy at least some basics on the cello... just for make-believe... :)

• 4 weeks later...

I watched this movie just for Billie, saw his scenes about 20 times, lol. The movie itself was nice, a bit slow, but I enjoyed the characters and the story.

The Billie's part was SOOO short :sorry: I think he was adorable, made me smile really wide-stupid :) About Billi's acting, I agree that it wasn't perfect, a bit too theatrical expression of rage in my opinion, but overly nice. I think he delivered his character nicely.

I watched this movie just for Billie, saw his scenes about 20 times, lol. The movie itself was nice, a bit slow, but I enjoyed the characters and the story.

The Billie's part was SOOO short :sorry: I think he was adorable, made me smile really wide-stupid :) About Billi's acting, I agree that it wasn't perfect, a bit too theatrical expression of rage in my opinion, but overly nice. I think he delivered his character nicely.

Haha yeah, especially the part when he's telling her he lost his phone then it rings :lol: His parts were good, slow and unsure at first, but he seemed to build up speed as his scenes progressed. It's definitely one of those things where you're just sitting there grinning at your computer because it's just plain adorable and awesome haha.

• 1 month later...

Cast Matters (and a cast that tweets matters even more).

Mansfield gave recent Monterey Media acquisition, "Like Sunday, Like Rain" as an example. The film stars Leighton Meester, Debra Messing and Green Day's Billie Jo Armstrong. "Between the three of them, they have 3 million Twitter followers. So you're able to reach—when they're supportive, and in this case they are— 3 million people who are predisposed to being curious about those people."

http://www.indiewire.com/article/4-factors-that-influence-a-distributors-decision-to-buy-a-film-20150714

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Like Rain screening, director Q&A

The Ridgefield Playhouse Film Society Director’s Cut Film Series will screen the indie romantic drama Like Sunday, Like Rain on Sunday, Sept. 13, at 7:30 p.m.

The film showcases Green Day front-man and American Idiot composer/star Billie Joe Armstrong, Leighton Meester (Gossip Girl, That’s My Boy, Country Strong, The Roommate and Date Night), Debra Messing (Nominated for 8 Golden Globe Awards, EMMY Award Winner; Will & Grace, Smash, The Starter Wife, The Mysteries of Laura, Along Came Polly, The Wedding Date), and introducing Julian Shatkin.

The drama, written and directed by Frank Whaley, made its premiere at The Sundance Film Festival and has garnered rave reviews. Frank Whaley who is also known for his acting roles in Pulp Fiction and Showtime’s Ray Dovovan, will be on hand for a Q&A following the film screening.

For tickets ($10/$7.50/$5), call 203-438-5795 or go to ridgefieldplayhouse.org

http://www.theridgefieldpress.com/49994/like-rain-screening-director-qa/

Like Rain screening, director Q&A

The Ridgefield Playhouse Film Society Director’s Cut Film Series will screen the indie romantic drama Like Sunday, Like Rain on Sunday, Sept. 13, at 7:30 p.m.

The film showcases Green Day front-man and American Idiot composer/star Billie Joe Armstrong, Leighton Meester (Gossip Girl, That’s My Boy, Country Strong, The Roommate and Date Night), Debra Messing (Nominated for 8 Golden Globe Awards, EMMY Award Winner; Will & Grace, Smash, The Starter Wife, The Mysteries of Laura, Along Came Polly, The Wedding Date), and introducing Julian Shatkin.

The drama, written and directed by Frank Whaley, made its premiere at The Sundance Film Festival and has garnered rave reviews. Frank Whaley who is also known for his acting roles in Pulp Fiction and Showtime’s Ray Dovovan, will be on hand for a Q&A following the film screening.

For tickets ($10/$7.50/$5), call 203-438-5795 or go to ridgefieldplayhouse.org

http://www.theridgefieldpress.com/49994/like-rain-screening-director-qa/

I live 5 minutes from there, now if Billie was going to be there....

Archived