Billie Joe filming movie in New York - Like Sunday Like Rain

desertrose

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome!

Everybody can act, but this doesn´t make everybody an actor. Hopping along as a frontman and making jokes and faces doesn´t actually make an actor. What I saw of him so far in different productions was quite good for me on an amateur level (and I know some amateurs on stage who really have talents, but you can still tell they aren´t skilled actors). So I assume he´s got some developable potential why directors chose him. And not just a face or a name.

I agree, everybody can act, but that does not mean you are an actor. However, a great frontman does alot more than hopping along on stage and making jokes. Billie controls the audience. You need alot of stage presence and ability to do wha the does, and he does it very well. Just like he learned to play guitar (and the multitude of other instruments he plays) and learned to sing he can learn to become a skilled actor. I absolutely agree that he was chosen because he has the potential, I know I see it, but the face sure helps in Hollywood.

Welcome, that was quite an awesome starter post and I agree. :)

Hi, Just wanted to say that I was hooked the first time I heard Longview 20 years ago as well!!!

That's about a year before me, but still...I'm excited like a little kid opening a present each time another one of us from the Dookie generation pops up. :) :) :) :)

He was absolutely amazing as St. Jimmy. I know he created the character and it is semi-autobiographical, but still does not mean he can pulll it off the way he did.

He's already a better actor than Mark Wahlberg and he was nominated for two oscars.

There is a huge difference between movie acting and Broadway acting that's why there's not a lot of Broadway actors who make it on Hollywood

And lmao on last part Billie is a better person than Mark Walhberg but not a better actor tho

There is a huge difference between movie acting and Broadway acting that's why there's not a lot of Broadway actors who make it on Hollywood

And lmao on last part Billie is a better person than Mark Walhberg but not a better actor tho

And to be fair, most movie actors cannot pull off Broadway.

And to be fair, most movie actors cannot pull off Broadway.

Very true very few can pull off Broadway

I agree, everybody can act, but that does not mean you are an actor. However, a great frontman does alot more than hopping along on stage and making jokes. Billie controls the audience. You need alot of stage presence and ability to do wha the does, and he does it very well. Just like he learned to play guitar (and the multitude of other instruments he plays) and learned to sing he can learn to become a skilled actor. I absolutely agree that he was chosen because he has the potential, I know I see it, but the face sure helps in Hollywood.

Acting in a concert is totally different from acting in a theatre or in a film. Can´t be compared, I think. Being present in a theatre or film production is a different thing. To speak and act naturally, show different and subtle emotions is a different thing than being present in a concert. In a concert you rather re-act to the audience rather than act. You don´t have to learn words and play them, you improvise. And when I look at the shows they are playing BJ´s improvisations are almost always more or less the same... heeee-oh´s, toilet paper and rolling on the floor. It´s fun and I love it and BJ being the talented frontman - but it´s not acting imho.

But I give him a chance to convince me as an actor. Maybe he´s got the talents, who knows. If he trained a bit or harder, yes, why not. Acting is so much fun! Maybe he´s good enough for theatre and movies. Would be great! Or maybe he should rather go on with his shows and make people happy, ´cause that´s his business. We´ll see.

HA, we can agree to disagree on Mark Wahlberg, the computer graphics teddy bear is a better actor than him.

Very true very few can pull off Broadway

I actually disagree with this, I live in New York and have seen many Hollywood actors on the stage and most were amazing. For example, Kevin Spacey was unbelievable. I'm going to see Hugh Jackman next month so we will see about him. What I might agree with is that most Hollywood actors cannot pull off musical theater. Billie can definitely pull of musical theater, I think he can pull off acting in general. We shall see.

Negligent and idiotic boyfriend? :huh: I think that's a little harsh... :rolleyes:

Can't wait to watch it!!!

Negligent and idiotic boyfriend? :huh: I think that's a little harsh... :rolleyes:

Can't wait to watch it!!!

How would you know if they're being harsh if you haven't seen it yet? Maybe he plays a complete twat.

How would you know if they're being harsh if you haven't seen it yet? Maybe he plays a complete twat.

I know. What I mean is that maybe is enough with just saying one thing, the movie isn't focused on his character's flaws, still the writer points it out twice. It can be that bad

I know. What I mean is that maybe is enough with just saying one thing, the movie isn't focused on his character's flaws, still the writer points it out twice. It can be that bad

I don't see how using two adjectives to describe the character is unwarranted...

I don't see how using two adjectives to describe the character is unwarranted...

Well, It's what I think. And I wasn't even overreacting about it; maybe the whole point of the movie for this girl to find herself is the problems she had before with his boyfriend, etc. But it's up to people to decide; don't turn the guy a complete dick if we haven't seen him yet.

Anyway, some people decided his acting will suck before seeing the movie as well. Even if they're 'joking' about it, as they say.

It's not like Billie's playing himself. Maybe the point is that he's a negligent and idiotic boyfriend. It's not harsh if that's what the character is.

When will this movie out for dvd release

Kat Kourbeti ‏@blackbirdwords on twitter, went to Raindance Film Festival. She said she heard the film's just secured a US theatrical release, so the DVD won't be for a while I suppose.

Billie Joe has many talents and I believe he will progress into becoming a good actor. Even the best actors have had their not-so-good roles. They are learning experiences.

I'm rooting for his acting career. Go Billie Joe! Do what you love, keep taking those chances & creative, artistic outlets. I am still hoping the American Idiot film will happen soon too.

The few reviews I've seen have been positive, except this one below...

Aberrant Films Review ~

..."We weren’t very impressed with Billie Joe Armstrong’s performance as Dennis, Eleanor’s boyfriend. His style was pretty over-the-top and childlike, very “acty,” not terribly believable. Overall film score: 9/10."

Acting: 9/10 (would be 10/10 if not for Billie Joe’s performance)

http://aberrantfilms.com/2014/10/01/like-sunday-like-rain/

I'm tempted to believe the negative reviews, not because I'm a pessimist but because all previous history points to his acting being very "acty" :lol:

I'm tempted to believe the negative reviews, not because I'm a pessimist but because all previous history points to his acting being very "acty" :lol:

This is when you may have talents but hardly any experience. There must be reasons why professional actors do a little training and studies... :) Or as we say in Germany: "Es ist noch kein Meister vom Himmel gefallen". Meaning you are hardly born with perfect skills, but have to work and learn to achieve them.

It kind od bugs me the fact that movie is gonna get a whole lotta more attention because Billie Joe is acting in it. If there was some ordinary guy acting Dennis, there would be no attention given.

This is when you may have talents but hardly any experience. There must be reasons why professional actors do a little training and studies... :) Or as we say in Germany: "Es ist noch kein Meister vom Himmel gefallen". Meaning you are hardly born with perfect skills, but have to work and learn to achieve them.

True, and Billie still does not have skills. But there are many 'professional' actors you see in movies who simply do a passable/decent job without any experience or training, and so I think it's safe to say that Billie does not have a natural gift for it.

Here is the first bad review of the film overall. It is from the Mill Valley Film Festival, right in Billie's backyard. The overall impression is bad and it does suggest that Debra Messing and Billie are thrown in for marketing purposes.

http://spinningplatters.com/2014/10/02/mvff-spotlights-2-what-we-do-in-the-shadowslike-sunday-like-rainlucky-stiffthe-boy-and-the-worldgett-the-trial-of-viviane-amsalem/

So, if I'm not mistaken this film comes out tomorrow? Is it a straight-to-DVD release, and if so does anybody know how it will be accessible to International people?

I guess the current state of Green Day makes me excited to watch even a movie that is likely bad, just to feel that they are up to something, or maybe get a glimpse of how it will be when, and if, Billie Joe stars in the AI movie.

Archived