Sweet Children EP neglected

ColinOr

Has anyone noticed that all the original songs from the EP have been completely neglected in live performances, possibly since 1992. Sure, My Generation gets performed live sometimes, but that's a cover they'd probably do live if it was on the EP or not.

To my knowledge, Sweet Children hasn't been performed live since 1989, at least that's when the most recent recorded performance I can find of it is from and there is no recorded live version of Strangeland that I can find, which leads me to believe it's either never been performed live or it's been played live so few times that there's been no chance for an audience recording.

As for Best Thing In Town, I've found a live version apparently from 1992, which if true, would possibly be the most recent live performance of any song off this EP. It could be a fake recording though, just a sped up studio version.

Anyway, it's crazy just how few times these songs have been performed live. Even songs from 1000 Hours and Slappy get occasionally performed, but none of the originals from Sweet Children.

This leads me to believe they were last performed in 1990 and originally had no intention of being studio recorded, but was thrown together quickly. The fact it was originally released as a one off for record label Skene! makes me think this was done for the sake of it:

"The EP is a collection of some of the band's earliest songs that they were still playing live at the time. It was recorded in 2 hours on July 5, 1990 at 6ft Under in Minneapolis, Minnesota while the band were on a brief break from their summer tour"

Anyway, thoughts on this? Has the band ever commented on this EP?

I think it's because the only reason they really even recorded the songs was because they happened to find themselves with some unexpected studio time when they were on tour, realized they'd never recorded those old songs, and did it because they didn't have anything better to record. If they'd thought they were A grade material they would've recorded them for 39/Smooth or a previous EP. They were just some old songs they wrote when they were 14 or whatever that they thought they might as well get on a record when they got the chance, hence why they've never given them much attention.

I don't know why, I guess it's because the songs aren't that good and are all about girls Billie didn't even have the stones to walk up and talk to. I like Strangeland though, it's one of my all time favorites.

Because they're a bit crap?

When I read this topic title I was like "wait till Céadagh Miley gets a load of this" :lol:

And given the "enormity" of Green Day today, they aren't really the songs that the masses want to hear.... (even though the hard core fans would go crazy for songs that old)

also, they're a bit crap.

Bcoz dey r st00pid punx sell outs who dnt care 4 da tr00 fanz n wnt play da real songz

Seriously though, I'd be surprised if any band who have been going as long as they have played anything from before their first album (apart from the Manics, who did Suicide Alley once sometime recently). Their songwriting has developed so much they probably don't want to play such old stuff because they don't like it any more. I don't think it's anything to do with not doing it because not enough people know it or whatever, otherwise they wouldn't have done Cigarettes and Valentines on the 21st Century Breakdown tour.

actually I love the songs from the Sweet Children EP and I'd love it if they played it live, but I also agree with most people here:

they've developed a lot over the years and they do have better songs and while I doubt that the reason that they don't play them anymore is cos these songs aren't as known or GD think the audience wouldn't like the songs, I think they themselves probably don't like them as much anymore...probably they just think similar as we do and wanna play their in their opinion better stuff since they can only play a few out of their many songs ;)

would love to hear one of those songs live anyways, they don't have to play it on every concert or anything, it would just be great if they played one of the songs once in a while...how bout Strangeland? that one was great :P

• 3 months later...

Sweet Children was last performed in 1990, and Best Thing in Town in 1992, and that is the only time we have record of that being played. Hermione pretty much nailed it straight on. Green Day thought it would be fun to record a few of the songs that they used to play in 87-88, and never meant for the songs to be serious. That's why the quality's shit and they never released lyrics for the songs. It was just a quick session that they did for fun. They had no say in the album art, the 2nd and 3rd pressing where it says "What do you think Mike?", that isn't even referring to Mike Dirnt. And I don't know who's crazy idea it was to put these songs on the Kerplunk CD. But just remember, if these songs weren't released, we'd never even know Strangeland existed since it was never performed live, and that's one of my favorite songs.

It's seriously their best EP. Just love it, so much fun to listen to.

They should pull the same stunt they did with Foxoboro and support themselves under the Sweet Children name.

How cool would that be?? :woot:

• 1 year later...

They should pull the same stunt they did with Foxoboro and support themselves under the Sweet Children name.

you see the future

Anyone else surprised they didn't play 1000 Hours at the Sweet Children show? The first track on the first EP.

Anyone else surprised they didn't play 1000 Hours at the Sweet Children show? The first track on the first EP.

Nah, Billie thinks the lyrics are too sappy.

Archived