Why did it take green day a short amount of time to write the trilogy?

Punkfreak1414

I don't get how it took green day 5 years to write 18 songs for 21st century breakdown but it took 2 years for them to write 65-80 songs and make a 3 album trilogy? Is there any interviews of the creative process and why it was so quick?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet a lot of songs were just songs they never bothered to put into albums or just started with an idea many years ago, I highly doubt all of those songs were written within 2 years

I think billie had been writing some of the songs during the 21st Century breakdown era.

I don't get how it took green day 5 years to write 18 songs for 21st century breakdown but it took 2 years for them to write 65-80 songs and make a 3 album trilogy? Is there any interviews of the creative process and why it was so quick?

They don't go straight into the studio after finishing one album. For 21CB they did a lot of touring etc etc

You do a lot of things faster on cocaine.

God dammit ceadog!

I think overall they put much more effort into 21st Century Breakdown. They wanted to make the whole thing a spectacle because they were essentially copying the concept behind American Idiot. Some of the songs in the trilogy were written during the 21stCB era, they just had no place on the album. The band started playing songs like Stay the Night and Drama Queen on the tour. That's probably because Billie knew they were good songs, but neither of them had a place on 21stCB.

Who knows. They could be lying to us. Maybe 15 of the songs on the trilogy were just pulled from Cigarettes and Valentines. Maybe instead of this "Time that the songs just came coming out one after another," it could've just been reusing songs. Like even Fuck Time for example, was an older song and they proudly put it on the album.

With 21st century breakdown they only picked the best songs and worked on them to perfect them.

With the trilogy they recorded every shity boring song they could create and some really good songs too that could have been worked more.

Simply as that.

They obviously didn't start writing songs in 2012. I remember Mike saying they started writing by the end of the tour. Problem solved.

You do a lot of things faster on cocaine.

Bitch.

Because of their "fuck it" attitude, they did not seem to care as much about the quality, just whether they liked it or not

Walk Away and Carpe Diem was ment to be on C&V (correct me if i'm wrong), and Drama Queen was written around 21st CB era.

Because the trilogy's shit?

It would've been a better and a big hit if they chose the best songs and made it ONE album.... * sigh *

Because the trilogy's shit?

Wow. It's actually really good. But this is coming from someone who likes 21st Century Letdown, right?

come at me bro

tumblr_inline_mmi6kjTGd21qz4rgp.gif

Ok fine. The Trilogy is really great. Back to old fashioned rock and roll. It was like Green Day's tribute to the acts that inspired them. Sure 21CL was self-proclaimed as "grand," but it pales in comparison to American Idiot. But 21CL is poppy and mellow and glamorized, so that's why you like it right?

Inspiration can come quickly sometimes, it's just one of those things. Plus there was no big concept or any characters to worry about in writing the lyrics, so that may have made it all a bit easier. And they did take FOREVER to write 21st Century Breakdown, given that they're full time musicians they should be able to write at least 5 songs a week (quality notwithstanding). But to be honest the trilogy does sound rushed. It wouldn't surprise me if they wrote 40+ songs for 21stCB and just took the best of them. A big issue with the trilogy is the lack of quality control.

Inspiration can come quickly sometimes, it's just one of those things. Plus there was no big concept or any characters to worry about in writing the lyrics, so that may have made it all a bit easier. And they did take FOREVER to write 21st Century Breakdown, given that they're full time musicians they should be able to write at least 5 songs a week (quality notwithstanding). But to be honest the trilogy does sound rushed. It wouldn't surprise me if they wrote 40+ songs for 21stCB and just took the best of them. A big issue with the trilogy is the lack of quality control.

This Trilogy hate circle-jerk really needs to end...

They should have one album from the trilogy. Opening with Nuclear Family, and closing with Brutal Love. Would have sold massive I think

how many times can we have the same fucking argument of "green day should've put out one album instead of three"

maybe they should have but they didn't so let it go

Yes, " could have " would be a better phrase. I still freaking love the trilogy.

:happy:

Oh dear.

Sorry, but the Trilogy pales in comparison to 21CBD and.... actually every other album Green Day has ever made. Including 39/Smooth.

I'm going to have to start applying my social life rules with people on GDC. Just ignore people who say stupid things or it will drive you crazy. Just don't spend time around them. Rather, invest time with people who have similar interests and ideals.

So to say that 39/Smooth is BETTER than the Trilogy is like slapping each member of Green Day square in the face while pissing on their shoes. Are you like, kidding? Please be kidding. I'm sorry that the Trilogy was too "Green Day" or "rocky" for you and drifted from the poppy/emo Green Day you WANT Green Day to be. But in complete honestly, the Trilogy has a lot of kick ass material. It's just straight-forward "fuck you" "turn it up" rock and roll. No sappy songs that appeal to hormonal girls (I know that's what you're looking for). Hardly any political agenda. Green Day did that in AI in the form of a legit story, and that was badass. But the Trilogy is just in your face rock and anyone who loves Green Day and loves rock music has to appreciate what Green Day did with the Trilogy. They made THREE albums that all sounded different, had a fresh sound, and payed tribute to the artists Green Day was born from.

So PLEASE. Enough with the 21CL circle-jerk. And the misguided Trilogy hate. This music is great.

This Trilogy hate circle-jerk really needs to end...

Sorry for daring to dislike it...

Anyway, I actually love Tre and the first half of Uno. It's only Dos and the second half of Uno I don't like. Anyway, maybe so many people have a problem with the trilogy because it's nothing special.

So to say that 39/Smooth is BETTER than the Trilogy is like slapping each member of Green Day square in the face while pissing on their shoes. Are you like, kidding? Please be kidding. I'm sorry that the Trilogy was too "Green Day" or "rocky" for you and drifted from the poppy/emo Green Day you WANT Green Day to be. But in complete honestly, the Trilogy has a lot of kick ass material. It's just straight-forward "fuck you" "turn it up" rock and roll. No sappy songs that appeal to hormonal girls (I know that's what you're looking for). Hardly any political agenda. Green Day did that in AI in the form of a legit story, and that was badass. But the Trilogy is just in your face rock and anyone who loves Green Day and loves rock music has to appreciate what Green Day did with the Trilogy. They made THREE albums that all sounded different, had a fresh sound, and payed tribute to the artists Green Day was born from.

Dude, you just signed your own fucking death warrant.

Also, you call her dumb. Fell For You, Sweet 16, Brutal fucking Love, The Forgotten, Stray Heart? The Trilogy is packed full of sappy shite songs that are worse than anything off 1,039.

Jssayin', I'd hazard a guess at saying that if you took some of the effects of Dos, it wouldn't sound a whole lot different from the other two, which already sound pretty similar. And it's all well and good having a fresh sound, but not if that sound means their weakest ever guitar tone AND SO MUCH FUCKING TAMBOURINE MY EARS WANT TO SELF HARM.

I'm going to have to start applying my social life rules with people on GDC. Just ignore people who say stupid things or it will drive you crazy. Just don't spend time around them. Rather, invest time with people who have similar interests and ideals.

So PLEASE. Enough with the 21CL circle-jerk. And the misguided Trilogy hate. This music is great.

You know what? We all like what we like. We're all unique, special little flowers.

Just because someone has a different opinion to you it doesn't mean that opinion is stupid.

Let's play nice :)

Dude, you just signed your own fucking death warrant.

Also, you call her dumb. Fell For You, Sweet 16, Brutal fucking Love, The Forgotten, Stray Heart? The Trilogy is packed full of sappy shite songs that are worse than anything off 1,039.

Also, I'd hazard a guess at saying that if you took some of the effects of Dos, it wouldn't sound a whole lot different from the other two, which already sound pretty similar. And it's all well and good having a fresh sound, but not if that sound means their weakest ever guitar tone AND SO MUCH FUCKING TAMBOURINE MY EARS WANT TO SELF HARM.

Brutal Love is an amazing song. Idk what I just did. So freakin sick of this fangirls.

Archived