Welcome to Green Day Community
Welcome Green Day fans! Right now you're viewing our site as a guest, which means you don't see or have access to many topics and conversations limited to our registered members. Sign up now to join the largest community of Green Day fans online! After-all, it's free!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

SotW: Minority

27 posts in this topic

Posted

Wow!

Great post writing and awesome song, my no.1 favorite in terms of lyrics;

Also the BIAB performance was a blast

Posted

Daaaaamn. Great post!

Posted

Great review of the song! Minority is one of my favourite GD songs. It's so catchy and very easy to relate to. I also love the use of the harmonica.

I read this in the Minority wikipedia article, it's quite interesting:

Billie Joe Armstrong commented that this was the point in which their song writing became slightly more politically based. The lyrics "I pledge allegiance to the under world, one nation under dog..." were taken from the American Plege of Allegiance but "twisted upside down a bit."

The lyric "down with the moral majority" from the chorus refers to the now dissolved socially conservative American organization called the Moral Majority.

Kind of interesting especially after the discussion in General we've been having about the The Pledge!

Anyway, when Billie plays the harmonica solo at live shows gives me goosebumps and is always a highlight for me at a show. I hope they always keep playing it :)

1 person likes this

Posted

Weeeee awesome post!!!

Has been one of my fav songs ever, and the performance was pretty incredible! :happy: The harmonica parts give me eargasm.

One thing I love about it is y'know, it was pretty much the first political GD song.

You have no idea how much I love it when he sings " one nation underdog "

Since I'm an atheist, but again, it sounds so cool. :P

1 person likes this

Posted

One thing I love about it is y'know, it was pretty much the first political GD song.

It's possible that Maria could have been written before Minority :ninja:

Posted

It's possible that Maria could have been written before Minority :ninja:

I know, by first, I meant y'know, they kinda stepped into their political era. I hope I can get you what I mean. * scratches head *

1 person likes this

Posted

Best intro ever

Posted

I can't help but get an Irish brogue when I sing this song! Especially for "Fuck em All!"

Also, I'm raised by irish parents so that might have something to do with it, but I'll just pretend its that old, irish-y sound it has ;)

Posted

Wow, what a great post!!!

I love this song so much, is one of those songs that i hope they play when i finally can see them live :wub:

Posted

love this song so much that i taught myself the guitar, vocals and harmonica:')

Posted

A slight tangent: in the Bullet in a Bible recording of this song, I'm so proud of Billie for saying "regardless" instead of "irregardless".

Posted

OMG I love this song so much :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Posted

Irving Plaza 2004 has to be my favorite live performance!

Posted

Irving Plaza 2004 has to be my favorite live performance!

Post a link so we can compare! :)

This is my hubby's favorite song. I told this story back in 2009 when we first saw Green Day live in Chicago. We had gotten last minute tickets and he was standing next to me away from the stage so I couldn't see if he was having as much fun as I was. Until they played Minority. I turned and looked at him and he was SO HAPPY, singing and dancing in the aisle with me and everyone around us. I'll never forget that moment and that makes this song that much more special for me. :)

Posted

Great post! This could be my favourite song to hear live... I love the atmosphere with everyone singing along and jumping around and just being able to scream fuck em all...

Posted

Beautifully written, brings back the joy of hearing the song two times live and being pointed out during "she screams unto me". Thank you for sharing this with us. :)

Posted

I love love this song! Very fun to sing along with. Definitely one of my favorites.

" A free for all, FUCK 'EM ALL, you're on your own side! "

Posted

Great post!!
I love Minority so fucking much. :)

Posted

Its brings the good old time`s back! When i think back its so nice!

Posted

I love when billie does those hand motions of "blinded by the silence of 1000 broken hearts"

Posted

Wait, the lyrics are "Unsung against the mold?" I always thought it was "A tongue against the mold"

Posted

Amazing song...for me it was really brought to life when I saw it performed on Bullet In A Bible...that really made me fall madly in love with the song.

Posted

I bought a harmonica because of this song, and I will not play any other song on my harmonica aside from Minority. :D

Posted

I love this song. I'll never forget when I first heard it. my local alternative rock radio station 95.5 WBRU debuted it at night. I fell in love with it and recorded it on a blank cassette tape and listened to it constantly. then I got more stoked and hyped for Warning when TRL showed the video for the first time. Minority brings back so many great memories for me.