SotW: Minority

Malleus

There are a lot of testaments to Green Day's strength as a band. Whether you choose to favor their extremely healthy work ethic and devotion to a live show and their fans, their persistent and adaptable energy to bring things to new creative highs or maybe it's just their killer jeans and hair that do it for you. Whatever. Another big testament is that one of Green Day's lowest commercial slumps has still sold 1.2 million copies, and even though we know better now, Warning wasn't always thought of the fan-dubbed masterpiece we know it to be. Long, long ago, it wasn't uncommon to only jam the singles. "Minority" is a song from Green Day's sixth studio album, Warning, and served as the band's lead single. Written by the band's lead vocalist Billie Joe, it debuted in late August of 2000 and held on to the number one spot on Billboard's Modern Rock Chart for five weeks.

The track is a shiny, in-your-face fuck you to everybody who has ever pushed you down. An anthem for insubordinates who are tired of putting up with schtick. The song talks about finding yourself and staying true to your own colors, a DIY train of thought that shines in any remotely punk community. "Minority is about being an individual. It's like you have to sift through the darkness to find your place and be that individual you want to be your entire life," Armstrong has said about the song. This song has also been a staple in the band's live show for a while now, and rightfully so. Mike Dirnt, bassist and Billie Joe's long-running BFF has said of the song "When we play 'Minority', that's the point which I always think the floor's gonna cave in." If Green Day disbanded after Warning came out, I have no doubt in my mind that of all their songs, this one would jump out at me even more. It's a stripped down message hidden in power pop bottle, laced with infectious harmonicas and acoustic guitar. The idea of being lost and hurt within yourself is a universal one and Green Day doesn't beat around the bush with this song. It's catchy, it's fun to scream along to, but most importantly it's a subtle reminder of our strength. It's what picks us up when we fall and it's what makes us wanna run when all we've been doing our lives is crawling.

When people scream out the lyrics and well up at the sight of the song being played back to them, it's a reminder for Billie Joe and the guys that what they consistently do over and over again better than so many other bands is instill a sense of hope and originality. I wanna be the minority, you wanna be the minority and, hell, most of the Authority probably wants to be the minority. I think we all owe the band that is so unapologetically themselves, unafraid to be stripped down and bare in a setting with a punk twist, a band whose ultimate message has never strayed too far from something individual even if it's not all that terribly unique of a message: be yourself.

So thanks Green Day, and I don't think I'm the only one when I say that I would not be nearly as good at being myself if it weren't for you guys.

Enjoy the band's 2005 Milton Keynes performance, captured for their first live DVD Bullet in a Bible, and read the lyrics below. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsOOA7ajSXo

I want to be the minority
I don't need your authority
Down with the moral majority
'Cause I want to be the minority

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
One nation underdog
There of which I stand alone
A face in the crowd
Unsung, against the mold
Without a doubt
Singled out
The only way I know

Stepped out of the line
Like a sheep runs from the herd
Marching out of time
To my own beat now
The only way I know

One light, one mind
Flashing in the dark
Blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts
"For crying out loud," she screamed unto me
A free for all
Fuck 'em all
You're on your own side

One light, one mind
Flashing in the dark
Blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts
"For crying out loud," she screamed unto me
A free for all
Fuck 'em all
You're on your own side

The minority
The minority

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow!

Great post writing and awesome song, my no.1 favorite in terms of lyrics;

Also the BIAB performance was a blast

Great review of the song! Minority is one of my favourite GD songs. It's so catchy and very easy to relate to. I also love the use of the harmonica.

I read this in the Minority wikipedia article, it's quite interesting:

Billie Joe Armstrong commented that this was the point in which their song writing became slightly more politically based. The lyrics "I pledge allegiance to the under world, one nation under dog..." were taken from the American Plege of Allegiance but "twisted upside down a bit."

The lyric "down with the moral majority" from the chorus refers to the now dissolved socially conservative American organization called the Moral Majority.

Kind of interesting especially after the discussion in General we've been having about the The Pledge!

Anyway, when Billie plays the harmonica solo at live shows gives me goosebumps and is always a highlight for me at a show. I hope they always keep playing it :)

Weeeee awesome post!!!

Has been one of my fav songs ever, and the performance was pretty incredible! :happy: The harmonica parts give me eargasm.

One thing I love about it is y'know, it was pretty much the first political GD song.

You have no idea how much I love it when he sings " one nation underdog "

Since I'm an atheist, but again, it sounds so cool. :P

One thing I love about it is y'know, it was pretty much the first political GD song.

It's possible that Maria could have been written before Minority :ninja:

It's possible that Maria could have been written before Minority :ninja:

I know, by first, I meant y'know, they kinda stepped into their political era. I hope I can get you what I mean. * scratches head *

I can't help but get an Irish brogue when I sing this song! Especially for "Fuck em All!"

Also, I'm raised by irish parents so that might have something to do with it, but I'll just pretend its that old, irish-y sound it has ;)

Wow, what a great post!!!

I love this song so much, is one of those songs that i hope they play when i finally can see them live :wub:

love this song so much that i taught myself the guitar, vocals and harmonica:')

A slight tangent: in the Bullet in a Bible recording of this song, I'm so proud of Billie for saying "regardless" instead of "irregardless".

Irving Plaza 2004 has to be my favorite live performance!

Post a link so we can compare! :)

This is my hubby's favorite song. I told this story back in 2009 when we first saw Green Day live in Chicago. We had gotten last minute tickets and he was standing next to me away from the stage so I couldn't see if he was having as much fun as I was. Until they played Minority. I turned and looked at him and he was SO HAPPY, singing and dancing in the aisle with me and everyone around us. I'll never forget that moment and that makes this song that much more special for me. :)

Great post! This could be my favourite song to hear live... I love the atmosphere with everyone singing along and jumping around and just being able to scream fuck em all...

Beautifully written, brings back the joy of hearing the song two times live and being pointed out during "she screams unto me". Thank you for sharing this with us. :)

I love love this song! Very fun to sing along with. Definitely one of my favorites.

" A free for all, FUCK 'EM ALL, you're on your own side! "

Amazing song...for me it was really brought to life when I saw it performed on Bullet In A Bible...that really made me fall madly in love with the song.

I bought a harmonica because of this song, and I will not play any other song on my harmonica aside from Minority. :D

I love this song. I'll never forget when I first heard it. my local alternative rock radio station 95.5 WBRU debuted it at night. I fell in love with it and recorded it on a blank cassette tape and listened to it constantly. then I got more stoked and hyped for Warning when TRL showed the video for the first time. Minority brings back so many great memories for me.

Love this song! :happy: And when they play it live my favorite part is when Billie Joe plays the harmonica :wub:

The video is perfect, too.

...The balloons are fake.

:P:lol:

Archived