Little things you'd change in Green Day songs

Spike

I just thought this would be a fun idea, not to be taken too seriously! Is there anything in a song that you think would be better if done a different way? And I don't mean songs you downright dislike, I mean ones that you really like but you'd ideally change.

I was thinking of this because the backing vocals in the chorus of 99 Revolutions kind of annoy me. Rather than the backing vocals being there for the whole "99 revolutions tonight," I've always thought it'd sound better if they just joined in for "-lutions tonight," like in She where they're just there for "at me... ears bleed... -king heed just for you." I've always thought the 99 Revolutions chorus sounds a bit... static, as a result.

And I'd love it if the backing vocals in the chorus of Stay The Night were louder. I love how it sounds live, it's my favourite bit of the song. The version from the secret set at Reading 2012 is just fantastic, for that reason.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing that came to mind was that The Static Age is annoying when the chorus repeats way too many times at the end, plus it's a bit of a shite chorus anyway.

Any time he says "and I could care less." IT'S I COULDN'T CARE LESS, GEEZ. And any other stupid grammatical errors he has that drive me crazy. :P

I think 99 revolutions would of sounded cooler if it started just like how it did the the TRE! Album cover video green day put up on YouTube

Oh, and leaving the opening guitars in Amanda. Taking those out made me mad.

Any song that has saxophone or harmonica, take it out. Then I will be completely happy!

Have Vanilla Ice rap the verses of Ice Ice Baby in place of Lady Cobra on Nightlife.

No 1 single right there.

Have Vanilla Ice rap the verses of Ice Ice Baby in place of Lady Cobra on Nightlife.

No 1 single right there.

Hahaha, oh god I HAVE to hear that now.

Static Age, lower Billie's voice a tad bit.

Not to mention there's an iffy part towards the end of Church on Sunday I would change a bit

Did anyone else feel the production sound of the trilogy was missing something? I feel like I'm listening to a version of the album that someone ripped on YouTube, but it's the official release. Anyone else feel that way? I don't like the sound of the canned drums, I don't know what it is.

Stay the night. I'd make it just like it was during reading in 2012 cuz that turns it into a truly an amazing song. So basically add the high hat bits in the beginning and maybe more feedback-y guitar in the breakdown, wel one to paradise style. Also louder backing vocals and the live rig sounding guitar. Also change the production in all of insomniac like make the guitar tone more like nimrod or Dookie and make the vocals louder altho with the different tone they wudnt we'd to be. Also spice up some of the guitar on waning songs and make tem more like waiting and minority

Did anyone else feel the production sound of the trilogy was missing something? I feel like I'm listening to a version of the album that someone ripped on YouTube, but it's the official release. Anyone else feel that way? I don't like the sound of the canned drums, I don't know what it is.

Yeah, it's definitely over compressed. It could do with remastering to keep the dynamics more natural sounding.

Welcome to the loudness war, baby.

And also generally beef up the trilogy either but some distortion on those guitars or make the drums and bass beefier maybe a more nimrod ish sound. Even though nimrod wasn the greatest I loved its sound. And one more important thing. I would swap the production on American idiot and 21stcb. Like yeah. Imagine if 21cb had the songs or American idiot but was presented the same way. And then other way around. Or make some of the songs on 21cb more like warning stuff like peacemaker

Yeah, it's definitely over compressed. It could do with remastering to keep the dynamics more natural sounding.

Welcome to the loudness war, baby.

Loudness? Lmao you have no clue what loudness is please don't talk what you have no clue on...

Loudness? Lmao you have no clue what loudness is please don't talk what you have no clue on...

Thanks for the info... Go on?

Thanks for the info... Go on?

Take the cd make a wav of a song load it into pro tools (or any other program like Pro Tools) the wav forms dont take up the whole screen...

The albums were recorded to make sound like it was done live...

All '"it was over produced" and shit the trilogy production is scaled back compared to Dookie or AI or 21st

I'd take Panic Song's intro away and add a shorter and less boring intro instead.

Just realized since they don't play Panic Song live, I probably haven't listened to it in a few months :ermm:

Take the cd make a wav of a song load it into pro tools (or any other program like Pro Tools) the wav forms dont take up the whole screen...

The albums were recorded to make sound like it was done live...

All '"it was over produced" and shit the trilogy production is scaled back compared to Dookie or AI or 21st

The thing is with AI and 21st CB is that they're meant to sound huge and there's a hell of a lot going on, and the compression helps that. The trilogy has a totally different vibe so there isn't as much compression but there's still enough there to make it sound a bit unnatural. The wave form is irrelevant, I'm not saying it's overdone to the point of clipping/distorting, I mean it sounds overdone in the context of the songs. To my ears anyway, each to their own obviously.

Remix Amanda so the intro starts off more powerful. Like Jack did.

And get rid of "she's old enough to bleed now" in Drama Queen. It's really .... distracting from an otherwise beautiful sounding song.

Cut out that stupid solo in Dry Ice. I mean Jesus Christ...

WHAT?!!! :o

Anyways, I think with the trilogy I would've had a different guitar tone. The tone is too weak, and most of the choruses to the songs on the trilogy just repeat the title, which is annoying, so I'd change that too.

Archived