Welcome to Green Day Community
Welcome Green Day fans! Right now you're viewing our site as a guest, which means you don't see or have access to many topics and conversations limited to our registered members. Sign up now to join the largest community of Green Day fans online! After-all, it's free!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

SOTW Wake Me Up When September Ends

Posted

tumblr_mlx5i6WC3V1rcpxc4o1_500.jpg

That is me while listening

1 person likes this

Posted

this song is probably one of my favorite even if it's been overplayed.
it's my second most gd played song on itunes :D

i'd like them to keep in on the setlist

Posted

While a great song, it's depressing to listen to. I don't really listen to it that much.

Posted

The rendition of it at Brixton was absolutely spellbinding. I've always liked it but I never saw it as a highlight of the live show, or even American Idiot, but I was absolutely speechless after the performance at Brixton. It's really made me appreciate the song a lot more, I don't know what it was about it.

Also, "30 years have gone so fast." *cry*

Posted

One of my favorite Green Day songs. So much emotion and feeling put into the song, I just love it.

Posted

so emotional song :)

Posted

One of my favourite songs ever... I can't even describe how important it is for me.

Posted

This is such a beautiful song as well as an emotional roller coaster. It doesn't bring about great memories but even then I listen to it again and again. The emotions attached with this song are overwhelming.

Posted

One of the best songs from Green Day, i love it so much, such a sad song, but very beautiful.

Posted

This song has help me so much with difficult times, it's definitely therapeutic.

1 person likes this

Posted

Having lost my own father, I find this song much too hard to listen to very often. It just makes me so sad with its powerful words and message. This song, imo, really shows Billie's songwriting genius.

3 people like this

Posted

such a beautiful song, just thinking about the intro gives me goosebumps.

Posted

I haven't been posting much here the last few months (been super busy), but I feel like I need to say something about this song.

I always loved Wake Me Up When September Ends, ever since I first heard it years ago when I was just getting into Green Day. My dad had a lot to do with it, and over the years he always told me that Green Day was his favorite band that I listened to. His favorite song was WMUWSE. He sometimes played it even when I wasn't there.

Almost three months ago, just after his 50th birthday, my dad unexpectedly died. I was still in Spain, finishing my master's degree, when he was suddenly torn from my life. He's the only person I've ever lost, and it was really difficult losing someone so close to me, especially when I hadn't seen him in so long. Last month, once I had graduated and returned to the States, we finally had a memorial service for my dad, and during my speech I played this song.

Wake Me Up When September Ends has never had such personal meaning to me before, but now I will always think of Daddy whenever I hear it. It was his favorite song, and a song that now applies to his untimely passing. I miss him so much.

2 people like this

Posted

I've always loved this song even if no personnal feelings are related to it.

But I've never understood what the sentence "wake me up when september ends" really means.

I mean is is something personnal to BJ? or is it a reference to the 9/11 beacause the clip is about the Iraq war?

Could anyone explain it to me please?

Cause I feel like I miss part of the song, and it is already so great that I don't want to miss any little part of it

Thank you. Hourra to GD

Posted

Admittedly, this song was WAAAAY over played when the American Idiot hype started to calm down, but it is still a very emotional and powerful song concidering it was mainly written about Billie's father.

And to watch Billie sing it in 'Bullet in a Bible' and to see how much the song means to him, it's a beautiful heart-wrenching moment to see that slight moment of vulnerability he shows.

Posted

I've always loved this song even if no personnal feelings are related to it.

But I've never understood what the sentence "wake me up when september ends" really means.

I mean is is something personnal to BJ? or is it a reference to the 9/11 beacause the clip is about the Iraq war?

Could anyone explain it to me please?

Cause I feel like I miss part of the song, and it is already so great that I don't want to miss any little part of it

Thank you. Hourra to GD

He dedicated it to his father who died in the month of September

1 person likes this

Posted

I'd not listened to When September Ends for quite some time, and then when they played it at Brixton it brought it back to me how powerful and emotional this song is, just amazing

Posted

This has definitely got to be my favorite Green Day song... And it was the first I had ever heard

Posted

This is one of the most beautiful Green Day songs for sure. The way Billie sings it is gorgeous every time! You can tell that he puts his whole heart and soul into that song and completely opens himself up for everyone who's listening or watching. It's a timeless song and will always be stunning and relevant.

Posted

A very emotional song. musically and lyrically it's a masterpiece. I love it

Posted

sad song so i tend to avoid it.