Billie Joe smashing another guitar....!

DunkanRobertson

And that's a bad thing?

I think so, yeah. Him getting into the mindset of "Oh, this guitar broke/is out of tune, I'll just throw and break it." To me, it's very immature and childish. Just signal it's out of tune, place it on the ground, and someone will switch you out. Easy as cake.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't actually believe that this is even a discussion. Where the fuck were you guys back in 2001 when Tre was burning drum kits every single night, you guys would all be crying and having a field day with conspiracy theories :dry:

that'd be awesome if tre still did that,

but the drums he uses now are way to expensive to be burning

I wasn't on GDC then. :)

Haha that wasn't really aimed at you Mar :D,it's just from reading through the pages upon pages of rubbish last night with things like drugs and drink and anger all coming out there, i just don't get why this is such a big event y'know

I can't actually believe that this is even a discussion. Where the fuck were you guys back in 2001 when Tre was burning drum kits every single night, you guys would all be crying and having a field day with conspiracy theories :dry:

Seen that video. And I agree with you. It's not really something new to see Green Day destroying/defacing their instruments on stage. Lol

Haha that wasn't really aimed at you Mar :D,it's just from reading through the pages upon pages of rubbish last night with things like drugs and drink and anger all coming out there, i just don't get why this is such a big event y'know

I knew that. Just wanted to point it out though. :)

I think it's a "big" event because of everything Billie's been through this last year so people just freak out if he does something out of the "ordinary" from what we've seen on this tour.

While I don't agree it's a big deal, I do admit to wanting to have seen it for myself and see if he was anger as someone had said or if it was just for theatrics as Matt said above. I tend to think it was the latter. And Billie just being Billie.

I think it's a "big" event because of everything Billie's been through this last year so people just freak out if he does something out of the "ordinary" from what we've seen on this tour.

While I don't agree it's a big deal, I do admit to wanting to have seen it for myself and see if he was anger as someone had said or if it was just for theatrics as Matt said above. I tend to think it was the latter. And Billie just being Billie.

I agree with you, Marilyn. I do. I can see why some would be scared for Billie considering what he's been through but I think it was just for show.

He did have a smile on his face whilst doing it. That's why it confuses me on how that can be so misconstrued. I dunno, i just have somewhat grown to dislike how the fan base has made every tiny action is now analysed into this big thing. I remember after the NYC show reading how people were saying Billie was back on pills because they say him drinking water on the side of the stage and then putting gum in his mouth.

To me, it seemed like he was just unhappy with how it wasn't staying in tune or wasn't tuning properly, and I totally understand that frustration. Every time I play one of MY cheapo guitars, I get pissed whenever I have to stop right in the middle of the song and make sure it's in tune and stays in tune (that G string really drives me crazy sometimes!!!). The only difference is Billie has money and guitar techs so he can throw/smash the guitars he doesn't think are fit enough for him to play and get away with it; with me, I just gotta deal with what I have. :\

To me, it seemed like he was just unhappy with how it wasn't staying in tune or wasn't tuning properly, and I totally understand that frustration. Every time I play one of MY cheapo guitars, I get pissed whenever I have to stop right in the middle of the song and make sure it's in tune and stays in tune (that G string really drives me crazy sometimes!!!). The only difference is Billie has money and guitar techs so he can throw/smash the guitars he doesn't think are fit enough for him to play and get away with it; with me, I just gotta deal with what I have. :\

shit i just shove my drums on the ground whenever i get pissed. still sound great though

Ehhh. Just let me know if he just happens to go completely psycho and throws Mike off the stage

Was it a Gibson Black Beauty? Shame, even though it doesn't really matter to him as he practically has an entire house of guitars haha.

Ehhh. Just let me know if he just happens to go completely psycho and throws Mike off the stage

Hahaha i laugh so hard just to imagine that :lol:

do we not remember the time Billie smashed that borrowed guitar at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony? It's not something to be shocked about he's a punk rocker.

Big deal, he's "smashed"/been rough with guitars because he was pissed off with them not working right or because he felt like putting on a bit of a show like hundreds of times. It's one of his signature moves. Bit silly of course, but since when were Green Day shows not a bit silly :lol:, and it's cute.

Amen!

This isn't the first time he's thrown a guitar because something happened. During the South American leg of the 21CB tour when he was using the Blue replica, he threw it down it at the end of "Geek Stink Breath" because a string broke. The only big time he smashed his guitar was iHeart.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. He wasn't happy with his guitar, so he chucked it and got another one he was more happy with. The advantage with him is that he's got the dosh to buy a new one if he smacks it up a bit. There's been many times I've wanted to throw my guitar out of a first floor window because I kept playing the wrong chord, or it didn't sound right, but I'm not a rock star and can't afford to buy another one if the tuning's out.

He's a showman, he wants to shock and entertain. Punks are crazy.

It wasn't a big deal, he didn't smash the guitar or destroyed, he just through it away :rolleyes:

I don't know if you know anything about guitars, but what he did is basically the same as having a go at smashing it. That guitar is probably in a bin in Leeds somewhere.

I don't know if you know anything about guitars, but what he did is basically the same as having a go at smashing it. That guitar is probably in a bin in Leeds somewhere.

A while ago there was a live video interview with Chris Dugan and Bill Schneider on the Idiot Club and someone asked them about him chucking his guitars. They said if it's a guitar he cares about he kind of chucks it in a way that means it won't get broken too much and will be able to be fixed :lol:, apparently he usually strikes a balance between wanting to smash it because he's pissed off and not wanting to lose the guitar. Plus he has people who are really good at fixing guitars to sort them out, he even got the iHeart guitar fixed.

A while ago there was a live video interview with Chris Dugan and Bill Schneider on the Idiot Club and someone asked them about him chucking his guitars. They said if it's a guitar he cares about he kind of chucks it in a way that means it won't get broken too much and will be able to be fixed :lol:, apparently he usually strikes a balance between wanting to smash it because he's pissed off and not wanting to lose the guitar. Plus he has people who are really good at fixing guitars to sort them out, he even got the iHeart guitar fixed.

I'm just poor and want to keep every guitar and never damage it and play it all by myself :P Any artist breaking a guitar is just painful to me :lol:

I'm just poor and want to keep every guitar and never damage it and play it all by myself :P Any artist breaking a guitar is just painful to me :lol:

Understandable :lol:

Why are you guys so again instrument destruction? Just look at The Who; they'd destroy all their equipment every night. Pete Townshend once bought a £10,000 guitar, smashed it to pieces on the first night he used it and sold it the next day for £75,000. Every time I see a band trashing their gear, I see it as a tribute to the greatest of rock 'n' roll acts.

do we not remember the time Billie smashed that borrowed guitar at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony? It's not something to be shocked about he's a punk rocker.

That was a borrowed guitar? I thought it was just one of his many LP Specials.

Archived