Green Day play entire Dookie at Brixton Academy

SmoothedOut

I'm more than happy that they played Dookie in full and I hope to play it again. The main reason that people (and me personally) whining is because Green Day just stuck with the same 5-6 Trilogy songs and at the same time they have another 30 new songs. It doesn't make any sense... No one said they have to play 30 songs from the Trilogy but 3-4 different Trilogy songs it's not so absurd.

I see your point, but under the circumstances, I don't think it matters. It's like winning the lottery, and then complaining about the taxes they take out of your win. You're still left with more money than you had last week, just not as much as before the taxes are taken out of it. You guys got to see Dookie played in full, and see Green Day live. Those are both great things. The last thing I'd be worried about would be the couple more trilogy songs they could've fit in. But yes, I understand. They didn't play Stray Heart at my show, but I got Geek Stink Breath instead. You gotta make some sacrifices, y'know? They only played Geek Stink Breath like 2 or 3 times this year, same with Emenius Sleepus and Pulling Teeth. It's all fair when you look at it that way

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Trotsky

It's not absurd seeing as they aren't playing in the same area for each show. They're going to different area's playing these songs to a different set of people. Nobody told you to stalk every single setlist. That's absurd.

Absurd is that they "bury" some of the best songs of the trilogy...

I'm more than happy that they played Dookie in full and I hope to play it again. The main reason that people (and me personally) whining is because Green Day just stuck with the same 5-6 Trilogy songs and at the same time they have another 30 new songs. It doesn't make any sense... No one said they have to play 30 songs from the Trilogy but 3-4 different Trilogy songs it's not so absurd.

Agreed with everything!!

But i'm happy for the people who was at the show :)

Guest Trotsky

I see your point, but under the circumstances, I don't think it matters. It's like winning the lottery, and then complaining about the taxes they take out of your win. You're still left with more money than you had last week, just not as much as before the taxes are taken out of it. You guys got to see Dookie played in full, and see Green Day live. Those are both great things. The last thing I'd be worried about would be the couple more trilogy songs they could've fit in. But yes, I understand. They didn't play Stray Heart at my show, but I got Geek Stink Breath instead. You gotta make some sacrifices, y'know? They only played Geek Stink Breath like 2 or 3 times this year, same with Emenius Sleepus and Pulling Teeth. It's all fair when you look at it that way

I would give anything to see Green Day again, that's for sure. :) It's just that they have 37 great new songs, and we have heard only some of them on this tour. Hopefully in the future to hear some other new songs.

Agreed with everything!!

But i'm happy for the people who was at the show :)

I'm happy too for the people who was at the show. As I said to Tman684 I would give anything to see them again live. The only reason I want to hear songs from the trilogy is because I like them very much, I don't want to whining without a reason. Green Day are awesome anyway. :)

I love how even on the album tracks the crowd is still singing. It just goes to show how popular that album is even 20 years after release.

Is it really that much of a lack though? They play 5-6 songs from it. I love the Trilogy so the more the better as far as I'm concerned, but that's a pretty standard amount of songs to add to a setlist when a new album comes out. Only time they really added loads from a new album was with American Idiot, they've always liked sticking with a solid setlist of classic, well known songs to get the crowd going for the most part.

After a quick browse of setlist.fm, I see they have played 11 songs from the trilogy, fuck time once, nuclear family twice, missing you 6 times, and the other 8 at least 30 times. So that makes 8 regular songs. Out of 37.

Compared to the 21st century break down tour, which had 9 songs (10 if you include sotc) which were played more than 30 times. Out of 18. In comparison the trilogy is greatly under-represented in the tour so far.

I can understand why they treat the trilogy as a single album for the sake of concerts, it is so that they can have every album represented in any given concert. That is a cool idea which does limit them to 5 or 6 songs from each album. I just wish it wasn't the same 5 or 6 songs each time from the Trilogy. The difference is that the Trilogy has no 'main single' which has to be included in the setlist (breakdown had kye and breakdown, AI had tons of them, warning had minority, nimrod had nice guys finish last and hitchin, insomniac had brain stew, dookie had 5 of them). Maybe this tour has 99 revolutions, but it is still arguably one limitation on the setlist which existed in previous tours, but not this one.

I love how even on the album tracks the crowd is still singing. It just goes to show how popular that album is even 20 years after release.

After a quick browse of setlist.fm, I see they have played 11 songs from the trilogy, fuck time once, nuclear family twice, missing you 6 times, and the other 8 at least 30 times. So that makes 8 regular songs. Out of 37.

Compared to the 21st century break down tour, which had 9 songs (10 if you include sotc) which were played more than 30 times. Out of 18. In comparison the trilogy is greatly under-represented in the tour so far.

I can understand why they treat the trilogy as a single album for the sake of concerts, it is so that they can have every album represented in any given concert. That is a cool idea which does limit them to 5 or 6 songs from each album. I just wish it wasn't the same 5 or 6 songs each time from the Trilogy. The difference is that the Trilogy has no 'main single' which has to be included in the setlist (breakdown had kye and breakdown, AI had tons of them, warning had minority, nimrod had nice guys finish last and hitchin, insomniac had brain stew, dookie had 5 of them). Maybe this tour has 99 revolutions, but it is still arguably one limitation on the setlist which existed in previous tours, but not this one.

I'd like it if they mixed it up more, but I think they don't really care about playing a massive selection of songs. Any time they talk about shows/setlists in interviews it sounds like they get their enjoyment from getting the crowd going rather than from playing a song because they like the song or because they haven't played it before. So they prefer to play the same songs, the ones that have already proven to work. Maybe they overestimate how catchy or well known a song has to be to get the crowd going sometimes, but I think they're happy with what they play. I mean, when Dookie came out they only had 3 albums and only one of them was well known, yet they still hardly played several of the songs on it. To me that shows playing as many different songs as possible just isn't something that particularly interests them.

Having said that, they do like to mix things up sometimes: by playing Dookie in full for example :lol:. That's the other thing, I think as fans it's natural to want new songs but they've already demoed and recorded them for months and played them at secret shows. They're not as new to them as they are to us. It seems to me they enjoy playing both old and new songs. Just happens to be that this particular cool idea to mix things up involves old ones.

Well shit. I'm pretty fuckin' jealous right now!!! :lol:

On the 2010 tour we were getting batshit crazy setlists every single night, and I think that's why people are getting upset over this run. What I've realized is, it's not about the setlist, every show is special in its own way. I went to Irving Plaza, and that's one of the best shows I've ever been to, had an absolutely insane set list. BUT, I think the show I saw in Rochester this year was a better show, for reasons other than the set list. Every single show is a totally unique experience that no one will have again, and Green Day are good at making every single show count. I do think the lack of Trilogy songs could be partially due to the whole meltdown/aftermath, but the show is not just about the songs they play.

Sorry for drifting off topic, I think it's fantastic that they're playing Dookie from front to back. You can tell how much they're enjoying it.

I liked the show a lot.

Also, someone is viewing this topic from MSN/Bing. I call bullshit, no one uses that. Get FireFox and get rid og MSN, stranger.

I wish I liked Dookie as much as everyone else does. It's probably my least favorite besides 39 and Kerplunk.

what the fuck...you know..some people are really hypocrites..sometimes i think they're dumb or whatever..GD fans..for years...specially old school fans are BITCHING..why they don't they older stuff..or rant.."we want Old Green Day back fuck new Green Day" now..they're looking back and granting their wishes.they get upset Jesus..-_-

I wish I liked Dookie as much as everyone else does. It's probably my least favorite besides 39 and Kerplunk.

Even if it was my least favourite of their albums I'd still be so excited to see it played in full! It's not what album it is, it's the fact you see the WHOLE THING live from start to finish :woot:. That, and it means you're gonna see at least 8 or so songs you've never seen live before (including some you've barely even seen live video of before). And you get to see the band having so much fun doing it, and experience the awesome atmosphere in the crowd with everyone extra pumped up. You don't have to be a Dookie obsessive to find this exciting.

All of us suffered a sort of setback when Billie had that meltdown. To me, even if Green Day begins to play all the trilogy songs at a later time there will still be that sense of disappointment in the band in that they weren't able to promote the album like they were supposed to. Whereas they played a single from every album after Kerplunk on the David Letterman show, they didn't this time and missed some shows with Ellen and Jimmy Kimmel too. As a hardcore fan, it is saddening in a way that I sort of wish they just never made the albums. It is just sad to see the work of 3 godly men go to waste like that. Or for those 3 men to have to come to that fate. You'd think it was impossible. But it happened when it did. In terms of Green Day standards, what they got in return for the work they released this time around, I think, is just insufficient. It is indeed demoralizing when you think about all the hype over the trilogy when it was still in production and when you think about what happened after but there's nothing we can do to take back those months Green Day could have used to change the world all over again. They should be winning another Grammy like they always do. At the moment they haven't won any for the trilogy as far as I'm concerned. But I've moved on. That was that.

However, there's no stopping Green Day or ANYONE from celebrating Dookie next year. Even if they release a new album next year!

Just think about it this way. Do you guys want a 'proper' trilogy tour and not celebrate Dookie next year? Or do you want to celebrate Dookie next year and not have the trilogy released when it did? The thing is, we're getting both. I'm happy to have 3 more Green Day albums on my shelf and I'm looking forward to a big year for Green Day next year. I don't know about you guys.

On a different topic: the video with the full Dookie performance is down. Anyone got a different (good) one?

Archived