SotW Restless Heart Syndrome

Asa.

RHS is one of my least favourite songs off 21stCB, but I still love it. I read somewhere this song wasn't going to be on the album, but Butch Vig heard Billie playing in it and told him to finish it and include it on the album. Something similar happened with Horseshoes and Handgranades.

My favourite part of the song is the outro, it feels so full of energy and anger.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the guitar solo kinda reminds me of Jimmy Paige. It's such a sick song and that solo is just freaking epic. I wish they would play this more.

One of my favorite songs off of 21CB. Lovely lyrics, sick instrumentals, and Billie's vocals are damn near orgasmic.

I love this song. I don't how some people don't... even Billie Joe himself, who said he doesn't want to play it live again :dry:

I'm especially interested on the 2nd verse, which doesn't seem to have anything to do with the drugs mentioned before. It doesn't talk about pretty things, but it's the truth about today -or always, to me. "I need to find a place to hide, you never know what could be waiting outside..." and all the "we are our own worst enemy" thing, which is also accurate. The gloomy melody, but my favorite part is the end; sounds like a terrifying ending of something; so desperate but yet powerful.

I'm super glad it made it to the album! :) And I'd love to hear it live :(

Defineitly one of my favorite tracks off of 21st CB. It took awhile to grow on me, but I love the lyrics and the gradually build up of intensity. One of the most underrated green day songs. It really sucks that BJA hates the song.

I love Restless Heart Syndrome! Best song on the album and one of my favourites overall. Here's what I wrote about it when I reviewed the album:

"Then there's Restless Heart Syndrome. Unquestionably the most powerful song on the album, it begins as a mid-tempo piano ballad with a string section, with lyrics tackling the mental breakdown of Christian - "So what ails you / Is what impales you / I feel like I've been crucified / To be satisfied."The song gradually builds with layer upon layer of arpeggiated guitar, which, combined with Armstrong's haunting vocals, a descending bassline and glissando interjections from the strings creates an unfathomable amount of tension. The band get under the listener's skin for almost three minutes, meandering through countless false releases which create a physical itch. The song finally bursts at the seams as the music stops dead and Armstrong's processed voice darkly instructs the listener to "Know your enemy," and a rocket fuelled wah-guitar solo with enough power to blow the roof off the White House hits us full in the face, before a syncopated coda containing no fewer than four harmonised guitar parts bring the song to a pounding close."

• 6 months later...

The music video for this song is flawless.

Music video?

Music video?

I don't think it is an official music video but it was put together really well.

It uses clips from a movie and Green Day rock band I think...

Goddammit that was good. The vocals matched up so well with the live performance.

Which I think was 21 Guns from Abbey Road, by the way.

I don't think it is an official music video but it was put together really well.

It uses clips from a movie and Green Day rock band I think...

The Abbey Road thing in general was amazing, that is very well put together.

Ugh, I took to RHS so so quickly. Because the first time I'd heard it (just very recently, about a month ago) I was at a point in my life where it described me perfectly. So I adore it very much.

Same. When I got in to the band I was in a very rough period of my life, RHS was definetly one of the songs I took to and have always had a special place for. I love the rephrasing that connects back to Know Your Enemy.

• 6 months later...

Archived