SotW Restless Heart Syndrome

Asa.

Restless Heart Syndrome is the 13th track off Green Day's 2009 album, 21st Century Breakdown. The song starts as a mid-paced, acoustic ballad describing a sort of medical disorder that is taking control of the victim's mind and emotions. Soon the song takes a dark dive, with electric guitar arpeggios and haunting vocal harmonies. Billie then gives us the message he seems to be telling us throughout the album- "Know your enemy", and is preceded by an epic, overdriven guitar solo and drums that seem to shake the foundations of the song.

Despite being played very few times during the 21st Century Breakdown tour, it is one hell of a live song. Here is an incredible performance from the Fox Theater on April 14, 2009-

It seems rather unlikely the band
would perform this song again after Billie's unfortunate medical issues he has faced more recently, but I won't lose hope as Green Day tends to surprise us when we least expect it!

Here is also the acapella vocal track, which I think is incredible-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Xgcd-HTCo

Here are the lyrics-
I've got a really bad disease
It's got me begging on my hands and knees
So, take me to emergency
Cause something seems to be missing
Somebody take the pain away
It's like an ulcer bleeding in my brain
So send me to the pharmacy so I can lose my memory

I'm elated, medicated
Lord knows I tried to find a way to run away

I think they found another cure
For broken hearts and feeling insecure
You'd be surprised what I endure
What makes you feel so self-assured

I need to find a place to hide
You never know what could be waiting outside
The accidents that you could find
It's like some kind of suicide

So what ails you, is what impales you
I feel like I've been crucified to be satisfied

I'm a victim of my symptom
I am my own worst enemy
You're a victim of your symptom
You are your own worst enemy
Know your enemy

I'm elated, medicated
I am my own worst enemy
So what ails you is what impales you
You're a victim of the system
You're a victim of the system

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this song, but I don't listen to it very often because it's such a sad song because after what happened I think Billie wrote it from his personal experience...

I love this song. I was a little disappointed it didn't become a single, but that's ok. It's my ringtone for texts.

One of my favorite tracks off of 21CB. It's a shame that it has only been played live once or twice.

One of the best songs from Green Day's finest album. Incredibly underrated. Still get goosebumps every time I heard that guitar solo.

Great OP! This is definitely my favorite song from 21st Century Breakdown. But doesn't Billie hate this song because of the number of vocal overdubs he had to do or something?

One of my favourite Green Day songs ever.

That Acapella version is so good-wow.

Great song, even though it's also really sad. Makes me think about the "Road Back from Hell" interview.

This song is my favourite off 21st CB, Billie here wrote really beautiful lyrics.

This song was one of those that I started liking upon hearing 21st CB for the first few times. Must be one of my favorites off that album.

And, does anyone have any link(s) to video(s) where the band talks about this song?

I do wish this song would get played live again one day. The solo would be incredible live

This song is really awesome. The 'Know your enemy' before the solo gets me everytime!

Mike Dirnt: “Restless Heart Syndrome” was about the “government-regulated emotions” allowed through prescription drugs, implicitly some of the mood and anxiety-related meds.

He seemed wary of the nation’s increasing dependence on such drugs:

“On the one hand you might be killing off old nightmares, but you could end up killing your dreams instead,” Dirnt said.

This song has been on my regular stream of songs I listen to. I am struggling with Insomnia and anxiety I hate that feeling of not being able to help myself and just sleep! and "It's got me begging on my hands and knees" and I feel like I am sabotaging my own self and my own well being. I struggle with not wanting to get on medication (as i do have an addictive personalityand then feeling ) vs. being exhausted day after day.

This song is just pure Music Therapy for me. It epitomizes my love for Green Day. It makes me not feel so alone and so different from other people. It's like Billie is singing what I could never put into words myself.

I love this song, it's so sad, powerful and possessive.

The sentence "Know your enemy..." followed by an emotionally loaded guitar solo gives a whole new different meaning to the song "Know Your Enemy" which is the third track on "21st Century Breakdown". KYE gave you the idea the government being your enemy and has a energetic, happy and rebel vibe. But as soon as the line "Know your enemy..." is dropped on RHS the perspective changes completely, showing that you are your own worst enemy.

The guitar solo is an emotional atom bomb.

And after the solo comes in the second (or third?) "I'm elated... Medicated, I am my own worst enemy... So what ails you... Is what impales you, you are your own worst enemy" shows distress in BJA's voice.

The song leaves you with intense feelings of desperation and anger all combined, which are quickly cured with "Horseshoes And Handgrenades"'s "I don't give a fuck" attitude.

It's a great song. I never heard just the vocals. Thank you for including that. And great job on the write-up. It was interesting.

This song and its solo are pure genius coupled with condensed awesomeness and badassness, nuff said. Please forgive me for any grammar mistakes I can explain later. Nuff said (for real this time)

Guest Trotsky

I love this song, it's so sad, powerful and possessive.

The sentence "Know your enemy..." followed by an emotionally loaded guitar solo gives a whole new different meaning to the song "Know Your Enemy" which is the third track on "21st Century Breakdown". KYE gave you the idea the government being your enemy and has a energetic, happy and rebel vibe. But as soon as the line "Know your enemy..." is dropped on RHS the perspective changes completely, showing that you are your own worst enemy.

The guitar solo is an emotional atom bomb.

And after the solo comes in the second (or third?) "I'm elated... Medicated, I am my own worst enemy... So what ails you... Is what impales you, you are your own worst enemy" shows distress in BJA's voice.

The song leaves you with intense feelings of desperation and anger all combined, which are quickly cured with "Horseshoes And Handgrenades"'s "I don't give a fuck" attitude.

Great comment. Welcome to GDC btw. :)

amazing lyrics, amazing instruments, amazing melody, amazing rhythm; amazing song.

Really great song, one of my favourties, haven't heard the acapella version before (someone tell me how to get it off rockband please, if its not too complicated, as I have that). You keep expecting to hear the music/instruments to start kicking in, and it's kinda weird when they don't!!! Love the echoe-y vocals bit, and I had never really noticed the backing oooh, oooh, oooh bits much before either. :)

Archived