Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

SOTW Only of You

Song of the Week

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• 11,600 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,153 rep

POPULAR

Sorry for the delay, I'm watching an awesome zombie movie

This weeks song of the week is Only of You. The third track off of Green Days debut EP, 1000 Hours. It was released in 1989 through Lookout records, and happens to be one of a few really old songs that Green Day has continued to play throughout recent times. Words by Billie Joe, Music by Green Day is what it says on the inner sleeve of the EP, keep in mind Green Day back then had John instead of Tre.

The song has to do with love at first sight, and how the narrator is longing to be with the person they laid their eyes on. The narrator doesnt care if its hard to be with their love, the narrator just wants to share their love. (I know that we're worlds apart, but I just don't seem to care). The narrator wants to take their friendship to the next level, because the narrator loves this person so much that just being friends isnt enough. (I know that we're only friends, I hope this feeling never ends)

Pretty much I chose to write about this song A: because I love it, B: Im a teenage guy, I connect to it, and C: No one else did, so I stepped up and took it so we can get on with other sotws, cause I love seeing other peoples great song reviews.

Heres one of my favorite live versions- Green Day at the American Idiot finale, 4/24/11, with Billie dressed in his role as St. Jimmy. Billie opened their set with Only of You, and it mustve surprised every person in the crowd that even know this song. It begins at 2:25

Lyrics (Straight from GDA since a-z lyrics has them wrong)
I wish i could tell you
But the words would come out wrong
Oh if you only knew
The way I felt for so long
I know that we're worlds apart
But I just don't seem to care
These feelings in my heart
Only with you I want to share
The first time I caught a glimpse of you
Then all my thoughts were only of you
I hope that when time goes by
You will think the same about me
Many nights awake I lie
I only wish that you could see
I know that we're only friends
I hope this feeling never ends
If I could only hold you
It's the only thing I want to do
  • Occam's Chainsaw, Artificial Idiot, Minigun and 9 others like this

Ham Sascale

Ham Sascale
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts
  • Joined Jun 26, 2012
  • 937 rep

This is the only outstanding song with 16 in 1039/SOSH, I guess.. The rest are like.. Average.

• stich likes this

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,563 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 836 rep
You fool this song is on 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours lmao

Good write up

Ham Sascale

Ham Sascale
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts
  • Joined Jun 26, 2012
  • 937 rep

You fool this song is on 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours lmao

Fixed.

Artificial Idiot

Artificial Idiot
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Joined Aug 15, 2011
  • 488 rep

One of my favorite songs off of the album!

• X-Kid-X likes this

iScottie

iScottie
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • Joined Sep 10, 2012
  • 4,917 rep

I love this song so, so, much.  :happy:

• X-Kid-X likes this

Ritz

Ritz
  • I am the motherfucking best- Mike Dirnt.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,046 posts
  • Joined Mar 27, 2012
  • 7,326 rep

Great write up. Love the song :happy:

CemeteryDrive

CemeteryDrive
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Joined Mar 25, 2006
  • 45 rep
This is my favourite song :) Thanks for sharing that video, I would love to see it live!
  • X-Kid-X likes this

Mara Garcia Green Day

Mara Garcia Green Day
  • Hiddles ♥

• 5,493 posts
  • Joined Jan 25, 2013
  • 8,221 rep

Awesome! I really like this song  :wub:

st_trillie

st_trillie
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Joined Mar 20, 2012
  • 1,580 rep

I love this song...but I actually love a lot of the songs of this album (go figure!). Weird factoid I noticed a while back while watching old, old youtube footage from the early 90's shows is that Billie sometimes (quite often actually) changed the lyrics at the beginning from "girl if you only knew" to "Tre if you only knew" and even "Tre it was always you" once, though the printed lyrics actually read "oh if you only knew". So there's a weird factoid for ya...commence youtube search now lol.

dangreenday

dangreenday
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2006
  • 495 rep

this song reminds me of all the old gigs they did back in the early90's before dookie :)

Isabel

Isabel
  • 'You wouldn't even let me sing my own damn song!'

• 12,305 posts
  • Joined Sep 01, 2005
  • 823 rep

This is my favourite Green Day album and Only of You is one of the best songs on it, I think. I remember guessing how to play it on the guitar and thinking 'Yes, I am invincible.' 

Minority103

Minority103
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Joined Jul 31, 2011
  • 96 rep

One of my favourite :)

kerplunkerr

kerplunkerr
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined Oct 16, 2012
  • 586 rep

I love this song so much and i will always love the way that teenage Billie Joe talks about love, full of passion and really honest. (he keeps doing it but im talking about back in the day)

Neurotics

Neurotics
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Joined Oct 25, 2012
  • 25 rep
Thanks for sharing.

Advertising

JellyTime

JellyTime
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Joined Oct 24, 2011
  • 665 rep

I love this song...but I actually love a lot of the songs of this album (go figure!). Weird factoid I noticed a while back while watching old, old youtube footage from the early 90's shows is that Billie sometimes (quite often actually) changed the lyrics at the beginning from "girl if you only knew" to "Tre if you only knew" and even "Tre it was always you" once, though the printed lyrics actually read "oh if you only knew". So there's a weird factoid for ya...commence youtube search now lol.

Could you post link for the video with this "Tre it was always you"? I can't find it.

Laly

Laly
  • Moving Target

• 13,927 posts
  • Joined Oct 13, 2009
  • 15,205 rep

This is one of my favorite love songs from 1039/Smooth :happy: "The first time I caught a glimpse of you... then all my thoughts were only of you" So concrete and romantic :wub:

billieve

billieve
  • Peacemaker

• 4,558 posts
  • Joined Feb 22, 2012
  • 5,226 rep

Love!

st_trillie

st_trillie
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Joined Mar 20, 2012
  • 1,580 rep

Could you post link for the video with this "Tre it was always you"? I can't find it.

Sure, it isn't even the most clear example as the audio kinda sucks (there are better examples out there) but it has been ages since I've watched any of them and I remember this one as it wasn't an actual live video just audio. Anyways here ya go

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=yl_5wcD4ZF8

• JellyTime likes this

jumpsalty

jumpsalty
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 428 rep

I've listened to your example video and a few others and I honestly don't hear anything but billie gibberish. Might be a bit of wishful thinking.
  • Todd likes this

st_trillie

st_trillie
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Joined Mar 20, 2012
  • 1,580 rep

I've listened to your example video and a few others and I honestly don't hear anything but billie gibberish. Might be a bit of wishful thinking.

Billie gibberish? I have no clue what that is supposed to be or why he loses the power of speech (apparantly) during this song numerous times at the exact same moment resulting in similar sounding words emerging from his mouth. Also this link I posted was not an "example video" it was a request by Jelly Time who wanted to hear that particular clip and I even said it wasn't the clearest when I posted it. It's from 1990 so it's crappy quality but there's ones from 1997 that if you are assed finding you might agree. Then again I doubt you and I will ever agree on anything for some reason. I did love your "wishful thinking" comment though...made me chuckle after a crappy day. *pssst I'm not twelve ;) *

jumpsalty

jumpsalty
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Joined Jan 26, 2013
  • 428 rep

Billie gibberish? I have no clue what that is supposed to be or why he loses the power of speech (apparantly) during this song numerous times at the exact same moment resulting in similar sounding words emerging from his mouth. Also this link I posted was not an "example video" it was a request by Jelly Time who wanted to hear that particular clip and I even said it wasn't the clearest when I posted it. It's from 1990 so it's crappy quality but there's ones from 1997 that if you are assed finding you might agree. Then again I doubt you and I will ever agree on anything for some reason. I did love your "wishful thinking" comment though...made me chuckle after a crappy day. *pssst I'm not twelve ;) *

haha weeeell with a name like 'st trillie' you can't really blame honestly ;)

• cabot gal likes this

musso_kn

musso_kn
  • Just alright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts
  • Joined Oct 28, 2012
  • 2,586 rep

This one's a grower. Still excellent, though.

st_trillie

st_trillie
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Joined Mar 20, 2012
  • 1,580 rep

haha weeeell with a name like 'st trillie' you can't really blame honestly ;)

Haha well the name comes from my adoration of the song St Jimmy (I actually have a St Jimmy tattoo), the fact that all the good Jimmy related names were taken so I decided a play on words might be amusing and not over exaggerating when I say Billie Joe and Tre Cool are a huge reason I am still alive (seriously bad time in my life + meeting them = changed perspective and encouragement to keep fighting) so yeah I love those two...and I don't care if the use of the word Trillie is taken up weirdly (hell they know about it and could give two shits lol).

*sorry to others for the off topic post lol*

abbieisnotamazing

abbieisnotamazing
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Joined Jul 28, 2013
  • 206 rep

I really love this song. People diss GD's earlier stuff but I love all of their older songs and albums :D

stich

stich
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Joined May 15, 2008
  • 247 rep

This is my favourite song :) Thanks for sharing that video, I would love to see it live!

I was so lucky to see it live at my first concert in Milan

Insomniac85

Insomniac85
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2013
  • 24 rep

I adore this song. love Billie's voice around this time. also this song brings back alot of memories I listened to 1,039/ Smoothed Out Slappy Hours alot around the time I had my first official girlfriend around 2000. great times. and great write up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Song of the Week

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users