Green Day in Rolling Stone Best Live Acts Today

DookieLukie

When people say "same set list," they seem to be forgetting that most people can only go to one Green Day show per tour, plus the average concert goer likely doesn't keep up with their set lists at other shows. With that in mind, set lists shouldn't even be a factor in terms of this list.

As for the list itself, I don't understand what they mean by "best live acts now." Do they meaning touring at this moment? I know for one that U2 hasn't been on tour since July 2011. It's just a weird list in general, I think.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still want to see a Springsteen concert. Like, desperately. I remain crushed that I didn't get a chance to see them with the Big Man on sax.

Do it. The first time you see him will be the best concert you'll ever go to, hands down, especially if you're in the pit.

He should be putting out another album within the next year. Clarence's nephew Jake took over on sax, and while he's obviously not Clarence he's still pretty damn good.

Basically my opinion on this has already been said and I don't feel like regurgitating everyone else's opinions, but at least RS got the top spot right. They at least had the sense to put Green Day in the top 50 at all. If this had been three or four years ago, I'd say they should be in the top 25, but GD just isn't as high-profile as they were back then, and their one US tour (so far) this year was fairly short anyway. They're just not making the same splash they were back in 2004/2005.

Yes, I've seen Green Day three times. I have some idea what I'm talking about. Are you just defining young bands as those who have been out less time than Green Day? I left out M&S because I think they're shit, but Arcade Fire and Black Keys have been going for over 10 years, My Morning Jacket for 15. Hardly "young", these bands have built pedigrees on great live performances. Particularly Arcade Fire, I wonder whether you've even heard them because otherwise you wouldn't use them as an example, easily comparable to Green Day's live show.

The article is about bands right now, not their last few tours. Given that Green Day hasn't done anything new for this tour beyond get sober I think it's completely fair not to rank them with some of the artists that are higher up. Were this 2009/10 it would be a different story but take the fanboy glasses off and see that there is a lot more music out there.

It's quite clear to me that they had a list of legacy artists and a list of current artists and they loaded the best legacy ones near the top which is why Green Day are near the bottom. It's an arbitrary list, but they got the no.1 spot correct.

I think it's pretty clear that you've confused "bands playing now" with "recent tours."

Wow. Just wow. Nice going, Rolling Stone! You think Skrillex is better than great rock and roll music? I think you need to get a brain scan, you might find that you've lost something. Last time I checked, robots having sex in a MacBook wasn't considered to be excellent music. :dry:

And Mumford & Sons? Pshhh. Please! All their songs sound exactly the same to me. How is that an interesting performance?!

I have seen tons of bands live and Green Day is and always will be THE absolute best! They are just incredible live and no one can match their energy, passion, or connection to the fans when they play.

Only rappers I'd say be on top 50 live act would be The Roots and David Banner

David Banner makes his show just like a rock show crowd surfin hangin off balconies jumpin from top pf the venue on to the mosh pit his show is exciting

Macklemore is pretty good, if we're talking rap he should have been included too.

Macklemore is pretty good, if we're talking rap he should have been included too.

Havent seen him perform

When people say "same set list," they seem to be forgetting that most people can only go to one Green Day show per tour, plus the average concert goer likely doesn't keep up with their set lists at other shows. With that in mind, set lists shouldn't even be a factor in terms of this list.

As for the list itself, I don't understand what they mean by "best live acts now." Do they meaning touring at this moment? I know for one that U2 hasn't been on tour since July 2011. It's just a weird list in general, I think.

Setlist are a big thing Springsteen is #1 you can not find the same set list night after night he performs different songs night after night

Now look at GD 99 Rev tour 99% you are going to find the SAME set list in the SAME order save for what 1 song? For a band that has over 200 songs thats really lazy they are pretty much playing a greatest hits set...

The Rolling Stones shouldn't be taken all to serious with music. They always pick the more popular groups anyways. Green Day shouldn't have been #1 but on the same level of bands like 'tallica.

Setlist are a big thing Springsteen is #1 you can not find the same set list night after night he performs different songs night after night

Now look at GD 99 Rev tour 99% you are going to find the SAME set list in the SAME order save for what 1 song? For a band that has over 200 songs thats really lazy they are pretty much playing a greatest hits set...

Honestly, I got really tired of people who weren't even at a particular show complaining about the set list. If that's what worked best for them on this tour, that's what worked best. Really, I don't think the so-called "experts" that voted on the list were even well-informed enough about Green Day's shows to know the predictability of their set lists. Obviously, and I'm saying this with as little bias as possible, if they'd ever been to a Green Day show they'd have ranked them higher than 48th. They probably just threw them on the list because they knew that Green Day are a big name that have been touring lately.

That's what most bands do, greatest hits with a few change-ups or new songs each night. Green Day aren't even the worst offenders. Look at blink 182, they've been playing almost the EXACT same set list since they reunited. Springsteen is in his own category, of course, and Green Day hasn't exactly been "edgy" this tour, but they did play Dookie out of nowhere, and that's more than most bands will do.

That ranking is ridiculous, as is the inaccurate description of their setlists/shows. Pfft.

Who knows maybe they went down that much because everyone seemed to be giving them shit about the trilogy and how it wasn't "rock" n such plus Billie Joe was in rehab so they couldn't promote the new albums, pissed of about that but still happy people still acknowledge that there alive n stuff unlike most people just forget about them and don't even look at them once again,there an amazing band no matter how shitty people say there albums are (love the trilogy by the way not one single song I dislike) at least I will always be there to be there fan n such

Well I mean honestly at this point what do you expect from rolling stones? They put a terrorist in there fucking front page and tried to make him look like a nice guy,after all the fucking harm him did

Damn I've seen a lot of these bands live and Green Day's definitely better. Haha with Mumford's and Sons I paid more attention the the ASL interpreters at the concert. I'm not just saying Green Day's better because they are my all time favorite band, but common they play for 3 hours, invite fans on stage, let fans hug/kiss, give guitars away, wow I could say so much more they are just incredibly amazing live!

Well I don't know what magazine you guys are reading, but my copy says they're number 1!

Lame, I know... But I couldn't help myself.

photo_zpsf4d6ff49.jpg

Archived