Michael Mayer confirms that Billie will play the role of St Jimmy in American Idiot movie

JIGD13

Utterly agreed. The fact that so many people in this thread genuinely think that Billie can handle himself in a leading dramatic role goes beyond baffling and becomes outright frustrating to me. While I don't know if it'd *ruin* the album's reputation (The Who bounced back nicely from the Tommy film), it couldn't be good for it. The album was meant to be heard, not seen, and the musical's extra songs and characters dilute the story's impact to the point of disaster. I would accept another disaster like the Trilogy to stop this from happening.

I think the fact The Who had to bounce back tells us all we need to know.

I think the fact The Who had to bounce back tells us all we need to know.

The Wall.

Not appall [ing]

That is all

The Wall.

Not appall [ing]

That is all

It's the exception that proves the rule. :P I agree that The Wall is brilliant, but I can't think of a single other rock opera film that was successful critically.

Does it really matter though if it's made & it's a flop - it only people remotely interested in green day that will go.

• Like 1

12 year old me would so pumped for this.

Like others have said, I think it's just past it's prime for a movie. I'm still shocked that the musical did as good as it did to be completely honest, but I think it should just be left off at that. AI came out 10 years ago, to go back and make a movie now just seems silly. And Billie in a semi-leading role? I would be cringing the whole time in the theater :lol:

• Like 1

How's it really a negative if they make it though? Might be good and even if it isn't it'll be interesting to see (and fun to see Billie acting :P). Couldn't care less if it's not successful or how long it's been since the album was out, might be entertaining so why not.

Why would it be like the musical - a musical is over the top acting.

It's going to be a movie version of the musical (rather than a movie version of the album), so I think the acting will be over the top like in the musical. If it ever gets made anyway.
  • Like 1

Not sure why the other inner 12 year-olds are not pumped, mine is. Because back then I could've never believed that "my" Billie would get that far, even though dad used to say "that kid's got potential".

• Like 1

Eh, i'll stop short of saying I want this to happen, but I won't be upset if a movie gets filmed and released. I might even go see it.

If they're going to dig into the past like that and re-record an album (theoretically), I'd much rather see how Kerplunk! would sound with a bigger budget.

• Like 1

Not sure why the other inner 12 year-olds are not pumped, mine is. Because back then I could've never believed that "my" Billie would get that far, even though dad used to say "that kid's got potential".

My inner twelve year old is pumped as all hell.

My inner twelve-year-old is pumped like the My So Called Life teens and Road to Avonlea romantic characters, so yours has NOTHING on me. 90S ALL THE WAY. PH34R!!!1!!1! :o

• Like 1

My inner twelve-year-old is pumped like the My So Called Life teens and Road to Avonlea romantic characters, so yours has NOTHING on me. 90S ALL THE WAY. PH34R!!!1!!1! :o

I'm pumped like a . . . like a really pumped up thing. Demolicous and now this and the musical and Billie in a movie.

• Like 1

How's it really a negative if they make it though? Might be good and even if it isn't it'll be interesting to see (and fun to see Billie acting :P). Couldn't care less if it's not successful or how long it's been since the album was out, might be entertaining so why not. It's going to be a movie version of the musical (rather than a movie version of the album), so I think the acting will be over the top like in the musical. If it ever gets made anyway.

Oh I didn't know that ;)

How's it really a negative if they make it though? Might be good and even if it isn't it'll be interesting to see (and fun to see Billie acting :P). Couldn't care less if it's not successful or how long it's been since the album was out, might be entertaining so why not.

Stop being so fucking cheerful, Hermione. :lol:

My inner (what a hell old it's) is very pumped :D

I'm going to wait and see with this one. If I had to bet on how the movie will end up, I'd bet that it will be cheesy and painful to watch. But I can see potential for a very good musical/movie.

I think for it to work they would have to make it dark. Dark works far better in most movies/shows. Just look at the Batman trilogy compared to almost every other new super hero remake. Batman blows them away. If the movie stays away from everything that made the JOS and WMUWSE videos awful then they have a shot.

Dark, serious subjects with serious actors and a dark spin on all of the songs and I could see it working

• Like 1

I'm going to wait and see with this one. If I had to bet on how the movie will end up, I'd bet that it will be cheesy and painful to watch. But I can see potential for a very good musical/movie.

I think for it to work they would have to make it dark. Dark works far better in most movies/shows. Just look at the Batman trilogy compared to almost every other new super hero remake. Batman blows them away. If the movie stays away from everything that made the JOS and WMUWSE videos awful then they have a shot.

Dark, serious subjects with serious actors and a dark spin on all of the songs and I could see it working

Thumbs up for this. I'm pretty sure I'll like it as long as it doesn't resemble those videos, specially JOS. :pinch:

• 3 months later...

This is a bit irrelevant now but just had quick read of this thread and all the "Billie is a terrible actor" comments. Sure his cameos haven't been the best but he was actually great in the musical. He basically is St. Jimmy so nobody knows the character better than him, it's a totally different thing to playing a character he didn't create. Not sure why people are so worried about his acting in this to be honest!

This is a bit irrelevant now but just had quick read of this thread and all the "Billie is a terrible actor" comments. Sure his cameos haven't been the best but he was actually great in the musical. He basically is St. Jimmy so nobody knows the character better than him, it's a totally different thing to playing a character he didn't create. Not sure why people are so worried about his acting in this to be honest!

Agreed (although I do enjoy discussing Billie's bad acting given the opportunity :P). This is different, not only is he playing a character he created, but the character a version of himself, and it's a musical so it's a totally different kind of acting, AND he's already shown he can do it on stage. If the movie was going to be a drama/a non musical version of the album I'd understand the concern but it's not so I can't see why he wouldn't be able pull it off like he did on stage.

• Like 1

Acting on Broadway and acting in films are two different things

There's a reason why not a lot of broadway actors who make it in films...

Acting on Broadway and acting in films are two different things

There's a reason why not a lot of broadway actors who make it in films...

This is a musical film though

This is a musical film though

Still different tho

Multiple takes plus the film will have dialogue not just singing