Michael Mayer confirms that Billie will play the role of St Jimmy in American Idiot movie

JIGD13

Oh yes, and this movie will be like Green Day's High School Musical 100 times better

I'm worried just like you, I'm scared his bad acting might just spoil the rest of the (most likely) amazing movie..

we only worry because we care :ga: . I do want him in it, i just want him to do good.

Honestly at this rate he'll be in a wheel chair before they even start filming... 60 year old st jimmy

• Like 1

Dunno whether to mark this a good thing or a bad thing. Time will tell, perhaps. But yes, its sure exciting!

excellent!! so glad we are being updated with brand new information!

if you have an attitude like that it won't!

Soooo, you're saying it depends on my attitude whether that movie comes out or not?

I actually don't know how I feel about this ... both the movie itself and Billie being in it. idk if it'll work. His "acting" is ... well, it probably works onstage. :lol:

Michael Mayer/Producer Ira Pittelman ALSO confirmed that they ARE working with Billie Joe to do ANOTHER NEW MUSICAL. In the future. Not yet. But on the horizon some day.

It's weird that y'all are like "this is never going to happen." Maybe it's because I've followed the film industry in some detail for many years, but I understand how and why things take MUCH longer than we're used to waiting for albums. Movies are a different beast (especially real movies, done well, and something like American Idiot will want to be as mainstream as possible and attract the kind of audiences that Rent, Chicago, Mamma Mia did.) It will happen, it's just a new level of patience that even Green Day fans aren't used to.

I'm pretty sure most of that comes from the constant "its coming soon" updates we've gotten over the last 9 years for Heart Like A Hand Grenade that most fans feel more "I'll be excited when they start filming"

I'm pretty sure most of that comes from the constant "its coming soon" updates we've gotten over the last 9 years for Heart Like A Hand Grenade that most fans feel more "I'll be excited when they start filming"

Yeah, HLAHG really screwed all our beliefs, didn't it? But that thing is so fucked up and different--- for one, it was actually MADE, and never released, which is just so bizarre. But it was a weird homemade documentary. For a feature film musical produced by Tom Hanks and shit, with probably millions of dollars going into the budget, you can bet your ass we will at least see this film hit theaters if it's ever made :lol:

I actually don't know how I feel about this ... both the movie itself and Billie being in it. idk if it'll work. His "acting" is ... well, it probably works onstage. :lol:

I have similar reservations. One of the things that gives me hope is that he will be singing in the movie, so his acting should only look as ridiculous as the rest of the characters, and since it's a character he created and is also inherently crazy, if he can succeed at any role, I'd say it would be this. Seeing the closeups of his face in Broadway Idiot, during both rehearsals and in performance, I have to say I was really struck by how emotional he sometimes looked on film, and thinking that would be an incredible thing to translate to the movie version. That being said, my fantasies of his blow-em-all-away-and-win-an-Oscar are probably a tragic unreality :lol:

As for the movie as a whole, I'm actually one of those people who thinks that the musical as it was staged on Broadway would NOT make a successful film. I fucking love everything to do with the musical, but I see its flaws for what they are, and I believe its plot/narrative is too thin to make a successful, plot-driven film. The visceral experience of theater, with flesh and blood singing their guts out, is more than enough to captivate and please an audience. The singing and dancing of punk rock on stage was enough by itself. In a movie, on a screen, you need a lot more strength in the story that I don't think the musical itself presented. The good news is that I remember Michael Mayer saying in one of those Talk Back interviews that when translated to film, it WOULD have to be quite different, really parsing out the narrative and showing what their lives are like. I hope they would even change things around. I do wonder though, as much as I love and admire Michael Mayer, what kind of *filmmaker* he is, but that's a separate issue and I'm more than willing to put something he's so passionate about in his brilliant hands. But that being said, film IS a different skill than theater, and he's not terribly experienced in it.

• Like 4

For a feature film musical produced by Tom Hanks and shit, with probably millions of dollars going into the budget, you can bet your ass we will at least see this film hit theaters if it's ever made :lol:

Not probably will be millions at least 10-20 million (knowing how WB works)

Not probably will be millions at least 10-20 million (knowing how WB works)

Yes was gonna say you really can't make a major film for less than that nowadays anyway.

Just saw the headline, so if this line of discussion has already been brought up in the thread, sorry, but...I honestly don't want to see Billie in the film, if it happens. Even if I were convinced he's a fucking amazing actor (which I'm not—emotional, over-the-top stuff works great on the stage, not so much on film—he's forty-one years old, guys. St. Jimmy is specifically referred to as "a teenage assassin", and while Billie still looks quite good for his age...I'm sorry, BJ, you don't look like a teenager anymore, and you never will. If this were eight years ago, he still could've passed, but not today. I'm afraid that the audience wouldn't be able to suspend their disbelief enough to accept Billie as a teenage rebel, and instead it would have the effect of rendering the character kinda silly. Honestly, I wish the movie were just one long music video—minimal dialogue, no actors singing, just visuals set to the original album. As far as I'm concerned, the musical already destroyed a lot of what made AI a masterpiece and a touchstone—and this is coming from someone who fucking loves musicals. But if it has to be a conventional musical—I'm sorry, but I don't want to see Billie on the poster.

So... are we going to be expecting another soundtrack of the arrangements with the movie cast? That would be pretty cool imo

Just saw the headline, so if this line of discussion has already been brought up in the thread, sorry, but...I honestly don't want to see Billie in the film, if it happens. Even if I were convinced he's a fucking amazing actor (which I'm not—emotional, over-the-top stuff works great on the stage, not so much on film—he's forty-one years old, guys. St. Jimmy is specifically referred to as "a teenage assassin", and while Billie still looks quite good for his age...I'm sorry, BJ, you don't look like a teenager anymore, and you never will. If this were eight years ago, he still could've passed, but not today. I'm afraid that the audience wouldn't be able to suspend their disbelief enough to accept Billie as a teenage rebel, and instead it would have the effect of rendering the character kinda silly. Honestly, I wish the movie were just one long music video—minimal dialogue, no actors singing, just visuals set to the original album. As far as I'm concerned, the musical already destroyed a lot of what made AI a masterpiece and a touchstone—and this is coming from someone who fucking loves musicals. But if it has to be a conventional musical—I'm sorry, but I don't want to see Billie on the poster.

Well, considering you think the musical "destroyed" AI, I can't entirely justify why I'm responding to your post because I really disagree with that, but I understand your points about Billie being too old to play "a teenage assassin." However, I do think St. Jimmy is the one character who need not be as young as the rest of the cast, and he's going to look pretty make-upped and demonic (and who knows what kind of weird effects might happen in a film version of a demon?!) but I do think that "a teenage assassin" could also mean he assassinates teenagers, and not that he himself is a teenager. (Also, the characters are so obviously 20somethings, so the whole thing is metaphorical anyway). Plus, that's one fucking line in the musical, and I doubt it would be enough of a statement to suddenly throw off his entire credibility. People don't really care. But I do say film this sooner rather than later if only because Billie IS aging, and it IS getting noticeable and will get more noticeable.

So... are we going to be expecting another soundtrack of the arrangements with the movie cast? That would be pretty cool imo

Yes, if a movie musical is made, a movie soundtrack will be made.

• Like 2

Soooo, you're saying it depends on my attitude whether that movie comes out or not?

yes. i think it depends on all the fans' attitude towards making a movie.

fans need to make it happen.

• Like 1

Speaking about Billie's acting skills, I'm pretty sure that if they will green-light the movie, Billie will do serious job improving his acting skills. I mean he's a very talented man and considering how long it usually takes from green-light to actual filming, he will have 1-2 years to improve and that's enough for someone like him. And let's be honest, with Billie playing one of the main roles film has 1000x more chances to be successful, producers realise it. Without him this film isn't gonna happen, noone's gonna give money for such huge project without media preson being in it.

I have not thought about this, and it makes a great amount of sense.

Yeah I don't see Mayer or Billie allowing this unless it's damn good. If we ever do see it, Billie's acting won't be the problem - he'll work his ass off.

Unlike a lot of you, I'm excited for this. :)

• Like 3

Billie will definitely take acting seriously because he won't want to fuck it up, not only to avoid personal embarrassment but because he cares about American Idiot being the best it can be.

Also, yes, Billie is the star power attracting people to the theater, so it'll be easier to get the project off the ground with him attached. I do wonder if they'll try to get any other name brands as leads, or if they'll keep the broadway crew.

• Like 4

I'm so fucking happy I am literally crying! :cry: This is so fantastic! Billie Joe is hands down the only person for the part! I can attest to that. I saw him play St. Jimmy on Broadway from the first row and he was absolutely phenomenal. He WAS St. Jimmy. It was like a transformation. I'm so glad this is happening! After all, Billie did create the character, it's part of who he is. St. Jimmy came from his heart. I am so privileged to have seen him during the short time he was there. :wub:

And I don't care what anyone says. Billie is a good actor. No, he's not Academy Awards material or anything like that, he's not perfect, but he has done very well in the roles he's played. St. Jimmy being the best.

• Like 4

Today after more than 3 years, Micheal Mayer confirms that Billie is St.Jimmy.So after 3 years more, the movie will be confirmed.Then it will take 5 years for the shooting to finish and another 4 years for the promotion to begin.5 years down the line from there,the movie will release.In between all of this, one of us would be dead.

• Like 1

Why are people complaining about Billie being St. Jimmy? This is awesome! From This is 40 and all the other stuff he did, he proved he can act and he is very good. He is the perfect person for St. Jimmy. He invented the character how can he fuck it up?

• Like 1

fuck yes, i'm so damn excited for this!! i hoped this would happen!!

..well, i have to agree with most of you that billie isn't the best actor, but i really think he can do this:

he played St Jimmy in the musical and it was more than great, he was perfect for that role and the movie will probably be pretty similar...also he can play a character he wrote, he knows who St Jimmy really is. in my opinion he's the right one to play that role as he'sthe one who knows most about that character, he wrote the whole album and made a more than good job in the musical...

i know a musical and a movie aren't the same and i know how billie's movie appearances usually are :lol: ...but usually he also doesn't/ didn't play a character he wrote or he can identify with very much...

imo it would even be wrong to let anyone else do it as i doubt anyone could make it s good as him...let's just look back at the musical. yeah the others played that character pretty well, but which shows were the best? (and also sold the fastest :P ) those with billie...in my opinion if there's any role he should do it's St Jimmy and if there's any movie he should play in it's this one...