Best Green Day Guitar Solo: Round 2

Fuzz

Round 1 is now done in our Best Green Day Guitar Solos tournament. The first round had 92 songs up against one another, and today round 2 starts up with the 46 songs a majority of you voted to advance.
You can start voting in round 2 on the tournament page. Voting will end July 25th 11:59pm (2d 9h 41m)
If you want to see a long breakdown of the bracket as it stands at round 2, check that out here.
For full details about the tournament read this post.
Also,l I made a couple changes to the audio players to hopefully make them work more consistently cross-browser. I tested in Chrome, Firefox and IE and all worked ok for me.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the Oh Love vs Paper Lanterns poll you have East Jesus Nowhere and LOTAG as the options (the audio is right though). :P

Had a hard time choosing between KYE and Holiday, but finally went with Holiday :) The others were much easier to decide when compared to round 1...

Sort of makes you realise that Green Days solo's arent very good. :S

Oh love and paper lanterns have east jesus nowhere and last of the american girls where you vote

For the Oh Love vs Paper Lanterns poll you have East Jesus Nowhere and LOTAG as the options (the audio is right though). :P

Fixed.

a few of them repeats on the page, the one I noticed was east jesus nowhere and last of the american girls

Sort of makes you realise that Green Days solo's arent very good. :S

Really? It makes me realize that Green Day actually has a fair amount of decent solos.

a few of them repeats on the page, the one I noticed was east jesus nowhere and last of the american girls

I think that's the only one. It should load correctly if you press Ctrl+Shift+R to force a full refresh of the code.

Andres... Not to continue mistakes but... On the tournament page, it is still titled Round 1. :/

You meant "Viva la Gloria (Little Girl)"? hm...I was wondering where the real guitar solo in "Viva la Gloria" was...

Oh gawd some of these are getting real hard !!!

Judge's Daughter v When I Come Around - dammit these r my 2 favorite songs

Rusty James v 21 guns - These both bring me chills of a memory. Both is so emotional

Know your enemy v Holiday - dammit both is too great to eliminate one

Pulling Teeth v The Grouch - they're like the 2 best from Nimrod

wonder how hard it would be like in later rounds !!!! I don't dare to vote !!!! It's like condemning my own favorite songs !!!!

Pulling Teeth is on Dookie :ermm:

Some of the first round results were disgraceul.

Static Age needs to go, it hardly qualifies!

I think people tend to judge more by the sound of the whole band than the guitar in particular, Static Age really has more of an interlude than a solo, the bass and drums are just as prominent as the guitar, which takes out the meaning of "solo" in itself. But then again it's hard not to get influenced by the underlying groove as well, the solo in Makeout Party would be little without it.
But it's not that difficult to just try and judge the guitar by itself. Is it the bass or drums I like? Is it just the plain melody of the chorus that it plays? Is it actually not a guitar? (hmph, Misery)...

But it seems it is turning into a Trilogy vs. Oldies

But it seems it is turning into a Trilogy vs. Oldies

Those are to me the best solos anyway

Oh gawd some of these are getting real hard !!!

Judge's Daughter v When I Come Around - dammit these r my 2 favorite songs

Rusty James v 21 guns - These both bring me chills of a memory. Both is so emotional

Know your enemy v Holiday - dammit both is too great to eliminate one

wonder how hard it would be like in later rounds !!!! I don't dare to vote !!!! It's like condemning my own favorite songs !!!!

It's just the solo you need to judge, not the song as a whole. I've made some funny choices as well, choosing one of my lesser favorites over some of my absolute favorites, simply because it has a better solo.

To start you off; When I Come Around = Classic song, a favorite, but short, dull and uninspired solo, if you could dare call it a solo.

Judge's Daughter = A decent song in its entirety, but completely overshadowed by its skillful and fastpaced solo, which is a prime example of Billie Joe's unique soloing style that he rarely shows off anymore.

It's an easy choice = Judge's Daughter ;)

Kinda disgusted that WMUWSE is out. That solo is magnificent and utterly emotional.

Those are to me the best solos anyway

Seems like the reason behind that is that he has brought his early style into the 21st century, the best examples from the trilogy sound very inspired by the early solos

Seems like the reason behind that is that he has brought his early style into the 21st century, the best examples from the trilogy sound very inspired by the early solos

And that was such a great thing to do! From AI and 21st CB the solos are pretty mediocre to me. The only ones I know I like are the ones for WMUWSE, Holiday and Know Your Enemy.

Archived