Best Green Day Guitar Solo: Round 1

Fuzz

We've just started a new tournament bracket for GDA for the best Green Day guitar solo. We're starting today with round 1, which has 92 songs.

Details about the full tournament, how it'll work, how we picked the songs, when voting for each round starts and end, etc. can be read here.

If you just want to jump in and start listening and voting for your favorite solos, go to the tournament page.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This contest made me realize how good Green Day solos actually are :lol:

This contest made me realize how good Green Day solos actually are :lol:

It made me realize how awesome Make Out Party's solo is. :lol:

Already voted. But some poor comparisons there! :lol:

Stay the Night and DRB!? xD Oh come on.

But yeah its a great initiative and lets hope the best solo wins!

All the trilogy songs are like winning. Hope this can stay non-biased amd not turn into a trilogy contest

All the trilogy songs are like winning. Hope this can stay non-biased amd not turn into a trilogy contest

Exactly my thoughts.

I was there's solo is more complex than rusty jame's in my opinion. Doesn't that make it better? This is just gonna be a favorite song competition

Strangeland's is great, it's just overpowered by the bad mix of cheap production. Damn you poor DIY green day!

Remember that the Trilogy's songs have some of Billie's best solos to date...Just saying...Some of it is biased though

Well I most certainly enjoyed that! No stand out favourites for me yet but I'm gonna be interested in seeing how this progresses.

Like, how the fuck is Why Do You Want Him losing? I thought everyone agreed that was THE best solo

Like, how the fuck is Why Do You Want Him losing? I thought everyone agreed that was THE best solo

I thought Dry Ice was considered the best?

I love both but i thought Dry Ice was just more popularly considered 'the best'.

This is a fantastic idea! Makes me realize how many great solos they have (and how many lame ones as well haha).

This must have taken hours for you to create! I'm excited to see which one's gonna win!

Great idea and thank you for including the clips, so we don't have to go listen to every song in full!

I was there's solo is more complex than rusty jame's in my opinion. Doesn't that make it better? This is just gonna be a favorite song competition
Strangeland's is great, it's just overpowered by the bad mix of cheap production. Damn you poor DIY green day!

A solo doesn't have to be complex to be effective.

Just because one thing is more complex or difficult than another it doesn't have to be better, right? That way of thinking just reminds me of the people claiming that Green Day are not talented musicians because many of their songs are easy to play. Then again, I'm not a guitar player, so I just go for the ones that bring me closest to an eargasm :happy:

People have different criteria for what they consider a good solo. Maybe they like that it's more complex, maybe they like how it fits on the song better, or maybe they just think it sounds better as a whole than its competitor. Just because you think x is better than y doesn't make you right.

Already voted. But some poor comparisons there! :lol:

Stay the Night and DRB!? xD Oh come on.

But yeah its a great initiative and lets hope the best solo wins!

Match-ups are random. We talked a lot about this and decided there wasn't really a good way to decide "this song should be up against this song" and we didn't want it to be an "old vs new" finals or something. So we just randomly picked the match-ups. Yeah, there are some really clear standouts and some will get stomped - but that's how it goes.

Yeeaahh it's like a poll and a competition all at once :runaround:

Yeeaahh it's like a poll and a competition all at once :runaround:

Yup! Pretty much the only way we could possibly try and do this. We decided against a giant poll with 92 options. Hah.

If anything other than DRB or Dry Ice wins, you're all idiots. :)

This is a great idea, GDA staff. Honestly really well put together and something we need in times when not much is happening in the GD universe. I'm impressed!

Now opinion time:

I do think some of the polls are turning into a "which song is better" fight (which could be another good competition to do?). How that is the minority.

Kill the DJ has one of the best solos in a Green Day song. I'm hoping for the one to go far. Also, Oh Love has a great little piece. Simple yet charming. I was also surprised at how sexy the Forgotten's solo was.

Also surprised at how close WMUWSE and Fuck Time are. Nostalgia vs a good solo? :P

Check out Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Californication". Apparently the solo in that song took so long to perfect, yet when you hear it sounds so amazingly simple. It doesn't always have to be Dragonforce.

Archived