It's been a year already?

AfterShock

Oh Love was released July 16, 2012...meaning it's been almost a year since this whole trilogy whirlwind started. I, for one, still can't believe that it's already been a year.

So, I just thought this would be a good place to talk about the trilogy's legacy/impact/etc now that we've all had a lot of time to digest it! E.g. How will the trilogy be remembered for fans/non-fans? How does this affect Green Day going forward? Things like that!

Mods, if this is a bad thread feel free to close it :lol:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woah I still remember sitting in front of my computer and refreshing my browser like every second because I desperately wanted to hear the new single.

Or feeling like it's forever till Uno - let alone Dos and Tré - finally get released (And yep. The printed out album covers with the release dates beside them still stick on my door) and now it's all already long over. Fuck time flies.

Woah I still remember sitting in front of my computer and refreshing my browser like every second because I desperately wanted to hear the new single.

Or feeling like it's forever till Uno - let alone Dos and Tré - finally get released (And yep. The printed out album covers with the release dates beside them still stick on my door) and now it's all already long over. Fuck time flies.

wow when i read that i had kinda goosebumps as i was reminded of everything once again...damn, the endless waiting, then finally hearing the first single, until we could finally hold the first of the three albums in our hands and could read the lyrics in the booklet for the first time while happily listening to the record...aw yeah feels damn amazing :happy: ...still remember how Oh Love came out one day before my mom's birthday, so i just made her a CD myself with that song and 4 others on and gave it to her on her b-day and she would listen to it constantly :happy:

Non fans don't even know about the trilogy unless they know somebody who is a fan who told them. Promotion was a mess.

Think about how much the band has gone through in the last year too....

Non fans don't even know about the trilogy unless they know somebody who is a fan who told them. Promotion was a mess.

That, unfortunately, is true.

I was one of those people sitting at the computer early in the morning and waiting for the single to be heard. And then once I heard it, it went on repeat again and again and again and my best friend was also listening to it with me and he loved it as well.

It feels so weird that it's been a year already...and a lot has happened during the year as well both the good and the bad unfortunately.

That's crazy. I still remember watching Carpe Diem live from that secret show and thinking, "This is gonna be awesome!"

while financially a mess i feel like a lot of people talk about the music and albums as if they were failed attempts at greatness.. i for one love it all and they gave me what i wanted.. i cant believe its been almost a year...even though billie was sick i would have enjoyed a tv appearance...

WOW!!! Time flies too fast!!! That felt like it was a few months ago!! I hate to remember that i actually had to wait for Tre to come out so i can buy all three albums together xD IT WAS PAINFUL!! And OH MY GOD when i came back home and listened to all three albums for more than 6 hours in my room!! it felt like heaven hahaha xD

Anyway, about the impact thing, to me i felt that the lyrics of Tre were the most meaningful to me :) And Dos was the most energetic to me, cuz its the "party themed" album, and Uno is kinda hard to describe haha xD Uno is -at least to me- a mixture of emotions mashed up in one album, though anger is the leading emotion to me xD (for lack of a better word)

And i think this kinda helps them go even more forward because the music is kinda different than the earlier stuff, and that helps them get to even more fans with a different taste of music :)

Y'know we should do something for Oh Love's 1st birthday haha

Not very hard. Trilogy had 0 impact out of the fanbase. And even inside the fanbase, many people dislike it. And the guys don't even plan the vast majority of the new songs. So it's almost like nothing happened. We just get like 5 or so new live songs and a new tour. And 37 studio versions of course.

It is hard to believe that a year has passed since the first time I listened to Oh Love... The way time is flying is so damn frightening! Anyway, I fell in love with the song quickly, currently it is one of my favourite songs by them. I just can't get tired of it!

I remember that short little video preview where Billies head eats the advertisement...wow. I was camping at the time it was released and I had to run like 2 miles through the woods to get enough reception to download the song, and it took almost 10 minutes! The first time I listened to it was through my little iPhone speaker, and the little bluesy-retro style riff in the solo totally caught me by surprise the first time. Soon after that I realized I had no real friends who care about Green Day. So after stalking the forums for a few months, I knew it was time to join right before ¡Uno! came out :D

It's been that long since my f5 button was on breaking point? crikey.

In all seriousness, it's been a great year, even though it was as chaotic as it was.

A year ago I woke up earlier than usual and was planning to go back to sleep when I suddenly remembered Oh Love was being released today. I jizzed my pants twice in the first listen.

Wow, time flies. I literally broke my F5 button that day.

I remember when Billie sang "Talk my way out of cont-..." on the 5/2 video, and then when I heard that line on the actual song I almost had a heart attack. I was beyond happy.

WTF

Somebody must've messed with the space time continuum :ninja:

I have to say that the trilogy has grown immensely on me. At first I was kinda let down by the lyrics but after a while I've figured out that Billie didn't mean these to be incredibly deep thought provoking songs, you have to take them for face value. I was used to the poetic "voice of a generation" 21st Century Green Day but the trilogy is nice cause it's so raw in a different way. Instead of Billie speaking as an angry American lost in the times he's just speaking as Billie Joe Armstrong a sloppy punk kid who's now an adult and doesn't really know what to do with himself. The trilogy is addictive and I listen to it constantly. Some of the best are Rusty James, Wild One and X kid to name one off each album but I really do love the trilogy, it's great music to just chill too. It's not too deep but the songs themselves each have a deep meaning hidden within them. You can feel Billie's mind racing and the trilogy covers a lot of feelings that wouldn't have fit in or made it or a different record. I really think the trilogy was exactly how Billie was feeling and I'm in the group that likes the production. It's crisp and loud and not very "produced" which is cool. Though I wish I could hear the bass more but I feel that way for most of Green Days stuff. Also the trilogy songs are amazing live and I wish they had the courage to play a lot more of them but I understand why they're hesitant to do so. It must be hard to play the new stuff knowing half the fan base hates them and all. But now I love the trilogy and the fact that Billie reads S.E. Hinton (Rumble Fish is one of my Faves) and wrote a song about it with the double meaning of their old Punk community is just awesome for me. Oh and Dos might be my favorite cause I love it's dark and disturbed nature but its hard to say for sure.

What the fuck. I refuse to believe it's nearly a year since Oh Love was released, let alone over a year since watching them Studio Update videos each week.

In fact, it's crazy how it's nearly two years since the first surprise show they did which kicked off the entire thing. Wow, it's gone so fast.

It's so weird that it's been a year since the release of the new songs! I remember last February being super excited because they said that they were making three albums. I loved going to GDA and seeing the studio updates and trying to figure out what was to come. When Oh Love and Kill the DJ were released, they were the only songs that I listened to for like a month. One of the most exciting things for me was listening to the early version of Let Yourself Go in Texas. I mean, liked the other songs that were released, but that song really got me excited for the trilogy. I was looking forward to seeing Green Day on Ellen, and maybe even SNL again. Hopefully they will be able to do all of that when they get back in the states. I really can't believe it's been a year. The Green Day fans have had a lot of shit thrown at them, and I am glad that everyone has stuck together. Seeing Billie Joe at rock bottom and then recover was amazing. I am so proud of him, and I don't think that the trilogy is a "failure". I can't wait to see what happens next!

Maybe the year flew by because when Billie entered rehab, we wanted the time to fly until he was better and can get out and tour/promote... I'm still waiting for the promotion though...

Also, I remember when the Oh Love video came out. I didn't have internet at the time and I went to my aunt's house and used her wifi with my mom's cellphone (I don't one of my own) and watched it being like "WTF is this???" at the girls and the nudity. (Why does is seem like a lot of videos since then have nudity? Like Blurred Lines, FOB's Young Volcanoes, the new Justin Timberlake video, etc.)

Holy shit it's been a year.

I just remember sitting on my bed with my laptop at like three AM, refusing to go to sleep until I heard Oh Love, and then I had it on repeat for pretty much the whole week after.

Man.

Where does the time go. or more importantly, where does it come from

Archived