Ever worried that meeting/seeing Green Day would ruin your impression of them?

David Of Suburbia

Just a thread to ask whether you'd be scared to meet the guys, or even see them live if you haven't yet, just in case they let you down and ruin your idea of them.

I was a little worried when I first saw them in 2010 but they certainly didn't disappoint then, but I can't imagine what I'd do if I met the band and they were awful. It'd be my whole musical world crushed really, the band I idolised hugely lacking :( although I can't imagine this happening as the guys are great.. What would you do?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing as they're people just like you and me, I wouldn't want to judge them til I knew them personally.

I think not. But what happen if they're really nice with me and i treat them bad? Jk :P

Yes. Which is why I don't intend to ever try to meet them.

There are two factors that dictate how well a meeting with Green Day (or anyone, for that matter) goes: their mood and your interpersonal skills, the second of which can have a positive impact on the first.

Since I'm a socially awkward and sensitive little shit, I don't think I would handle the situation or their bad reaction very well.

But live? Not a worry in the world. They always deliver on stage.

If they were pricks, I'd tell them. And maybe insult their cats in Irish.

I've actually considered that if I did have a rather bad meeting with anyone I'd call them the punjabi word for sister fucker. But then I don't think I'd have the balls, even if they don't understand. :lol:

Shall we ask Lauren to bring out her gif again?

thats getting a lot of action today

as to meeting them

if you are nice and genuine im sure they will reciprocate tha same amount of emotion

and if not you cant blame them they deal with fucking people everyday it must be mind numbing

it would suck for a negative exp but dont dwell on it its not the end of the world if it happens...there is always bieber

Never put someone on a pedestal. Yes they're musicians and yes we look up to them, but they're humans; they put their trousers on one leg at a time like the rest of us, and they have the ability to be moody and have off days - or just be dicks - just like the rest of us. No one can stand up to those expectations so you're bound to end up disappointed.

That said i've honestly never heard of a bad meeting story with these guys.

If I met them and they were utter pricks I wouldn't really know what to do with my life anymore haha. But I'm sure they would be friendly, I can imagine fans get annoying at times

I pretty much never wait around after gigs to meet bands, for that reason. I used to when I was younger, and I've met a few bands that are just absolute dicks to their fans. I'd be really disappointed if the same thing happened if I met any of GD. I think they would be alright though. I know people who have met them, and I've heard nothing bad. I'd prefer to just watch them do what they do, and leave it at that.

To be honest if I didn't think they were nice guys I wouldn't like Green Day as much as I do

i think they're one of the best bands to encounter.

i just think they really appreciate their fans because i really honestly believe that they can tell how much effort their fans go into when attending shows and stuff like that.

Well, I've only met Jason Freeze, and he was really nice to me. He took time to take a little chat about saxophones (as I play too) and even take a picture right after the concert at Ullevål Stadium back in '10. He told me to never stop playing, and inspired me to keep playing, even though I barley had any voice left after screaming and singing all day long :P

I'm quite nervous if BJ, Tré, Mike or Jason White would be like really assholes, though.. I once met a bandmember from another band, and he was such a prick.. I got so dissappointed. BUT, accutally I don't think the members of Green Day could be able to assholes at all. I've heard that all of them are quite nice and awesome people, just like Mr. Freeze :)

I can vouch for the fact that Mike is super nice and an incredible human being, so don't be worried about him. He's awesome. From the stories I've heard about people meeting Billie and Tre, I've really only ever heard good things, and I'd be really excited to meet them myself. I'd love to.

As for seeing them live, I have a few times and I'm never disappointed. In fact, I'm always blown away. I think seeing them has actually given me ridiculously high expectations for seeing other bands live cause they put on such great shows. :lol:

I'll just start giggling and start talking about random stuff like the weather :dry:

I'm not worried about meeting them cause I've heard only good things about fans meeting them but I am worried since I am kind of socially awkward, so if I met Green Day I don't know what my reaction would be

I've never been to one of their concerts but I've seen so many concerts on YouTube,like BIAB ,Woodstock 94, Awesome As F**K,Reading 2005,Reading 2012,Rock Am Ring 2005 and 2013 etc... so I k now they put on amazing shows

I have a fear that Billie Joe is actually a really mean dude, and if I meet him I might accidentally annoy the fuck out of him and he hates me.
I don't seem to have this fear about Mike or Tré but Billie Joe is an enigma so I fear him. It's like the fear of god.

To be honest if I didn't think they were nice guys I wouldn't like Green Day as much as I do

Pretty much this.

I am a little weary sometimes that they're a bit different in the public eye, but they always seem like nice, humble people, that I can't truly judge them until I meet them.

Shall we ask Lauren to bring out her gif again?

:ga:

Anyway, meeting them has actually changed some things for me. I always judged them based on their personalities during interviews. I always thought Billie would be sort of stuck up (as it seems most frontmen are), Mike would be really shy, and Tre would be hilarious the whole time. Instead, it turned out that Billie is super patient and sweet, Mike loves talking to people, and Tre is actually the more shy one (and if he does say something, it's usually sarcastic and/or immature, which is sometimes funny but sometimes gets annoying and he comes off as rude).

Normally it could just be their mood, but I met them multiple times and their personalities were the same. Billie seemed to go out of the way to make people happy. Mike goes up and talks to people and has long/decent conversation. Tre just kind of stands there and doesn't say anything until he has something smart-assy to say (however, I do notice Tre treats certain people differently than others -- some people say he's an asshole, some people say he's amazing).

So, I can only answer the OP's question looking back to how I felt before I met them. If I'm thinking of it that way, no, I wasn't really worried that meeting them would change my mind about them, but it did end up changing my mind when I finally met them. It made me think more highly of Billie and Mike, but unfortunately made me think less of Tre -- before I met them, he was my absolute favorite, and now I don't look up to him as much as I did before. I'm not saying he's a terrible person and deserves to rot in hell or anything like that, but I'm simply saying he honestly didn't live up to my expectations (which were obviously very high for him, being my favorite, and lower for Billie and Mike, so maybe that's why I think so highly of them after having met them).

I pretty much never wait around after gigs to meet bands, for that reason. I used to when I was younger, and I've met a few bands that are just absolute dicks to their fans. I'd be really disappointed if the same thing happened if I met any of GD. I think they would be alright though. I know people who have met them, and I've heard nothing bad. I'd prefer to just watch them do what they do, and leave it at that.

Unless you're being one of those people who follow their car/tour bus around, you have nothing to worry about. If you're waiting in an obvious location after a gig, especially if a barrier is set up, if they come out, it's because they want to meet their fans. You'll notice not all of them come out and they don't necessarily come out after every show -- so you know they're going to be in a decent mood if they do decide to come out and meet fans.

However, if they're just walking through and you happen to be in the way, don't be upset if they ignore you obnoxiously shouting their names.

I have a fear that Billie Joe is actually a really mean dude, and if I meet him I might accidentally annoy the fuck out of him and he hates me.

I don't seem to have this fear about Mike or Tré but Billie Joe is an enigma so I fear him. It's like the fear of god.

I had that fear, too, before I met him. but trust me, Billie is very sweet, kind, and patient. Billie in person is basically how people expect Mike to be before they meet them, and then Mike is actually less shy than I used to give him credit for.

im sure this has been said but i think everyone has such huge expectations before meeting them.. its like yea how do i sum up my undying devotion towards you and your band but they are also just guys with instruments.. idk when i met billies wife i wasnt nervous and she was amazing but i have yet to meet the band so i cant say anything bout them although mike did wave to me during a concert haha

Archived