Lyrics That Still Make No Sense to You

Anaïs.

I don't really understand half of what Billie's trying to get at with his lyrics. I just know that they sound pretty.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Church on Sunday, I've always wondered what's being implied by the line "trust is a dirty word that comes only from such a liar".

In Church on Sunday, I've always wondered what's being implied by the line "trust is a dirty word that comes only from such a liar".

Me too..... I bet it's a sad story

Me too..... I bet it's a sad story

Of adultery and such? I have thought of that.

I remember there was an interview where they said the song is about rock and roll. I think it's about getting into music for the first time and how great and exciting and liberating it can be, with the bridge being about how you can discover strange/new/interesting ideas and experiences through it.

I've always thought the sweet children ep had some of Green Days most confusing/ possibly quite clever lyrics. At first I always thought Best Thing in town was about a girl but the second verse and bridge made me think it could be about a hallucogenic or particular strain of weed Billie had been using.

Strangeland doesn't make any sense to me (probably because I can't understand most of it) but it's still my favorite song xD

Strangeland doesn't make any sense to me (probably because I can't understand most of it) but it's still my favorite song xD

Looking at the clouds in the sky

Floating image in my mind
Land of beauty and land of peace
Now I wonder where this place is from
The evidence is everywhere
I got a job and now I'm scared
Strange beings all around
Come everyone to this place I've found
I feel what is like to be wanted I wonder why
All the doors could be opened
No more cries/crimes
My eyes are clear and now I'm cured
Don't you wanna be for sure?
I know my rights I'm allowed to die
So I'd rather swap your different guise
It's in my head if you will find
Mother love from all mankind
You look above and then you shout (???? this line is probably incorrect)
No other way to say your head is right

It's about growing up.

Even though I think it sounds really poetic, I've never understood the idea or imagery behind "blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts." in Minority.

Even though I think it sounds really poetic, I've never understood the idea or imagery behind "blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts." in Minority.

I think it's about the vocal minority seeming like they're bigger than the majority just because they're louder. So you're blinded, as in not noticing them, by their silence.

Oh love: "don't stop when the red lights flash"

I think that line's about breaking the rules.

I was curious if in Drama Queen "she dangles from her necklace" is that a really lazy lyric, or something clever where the person in question is tied to fashion that controls her life rather than the other way round.

Quite a few lyrics in Drama Queen lead me to believe that the song is about a young girl battling depression, so I think the "she dangles from her necklace" is a reference to someone hanging from a noose. Cheery, right?

I think that line could be saying that she thinks very highly of herself. Like, if someone thinks highly of Jesus, they might wear a crucifix. So, it could mean that she worships herself in a way.

I went to a whore he said my lifes a bore so quit my whining cause in bringing her down" I still dont get why it goes from being a he to a she...

I went to a whore he said my lifes a bore so quit my whining cause in bringing her down" I still dont get why it goes from being a he to a she...

It's a bisexuality reference, he talked about it in an interview. I've always thought it might be fitting in with the insanity theme of the whole song too though.

I never understood what "Two for one sale at the mausoleum" meant. Then I looked up mausoleum and now I kind of get it I guess.

And almost all of Kill The DJ. I'm sure there's a lot of deep rooted meaning, but I can't be bothered to even look it up, so I'm just sticking to I don't get it.

that one lyric from Drama Queen "Everyone's drama queen, is old enough to bleed now." seriously when I first heard the song it made me feel mega uncomfortable >.<

've always thought it might be fitting in with the insanity theme of the whole song too though.

Since the song is about anxiety (anxiety is not insanity!) and some severe panic attacks come with depersonalisation as a side-effect, it always seemed logical to me.

Most of Billie's lyrics make absolutely no sense to me, I've just given up trying find any sense and I just try and enjoy the melodies.

that one lyric from Drama Queen "Everyone's drama queen, is old enough to bleed now." seriously when I first heard the song it made me feel mega uncomfortable >.<

I felt the same way, but I think it must be something along the lines of the girl's able to get hurt now (or bleed) that she's old enough to fend for herself. Or it's just meant to make us all really uncomfortable idk.

Most of Billie's lyrics make absolutely no sense to me, I've just given up trying find any sense and I just try and enjoy the melodies.

From what I read so far in this thread some explanations of the lyrics make much sense to me and some of them even showed me how far in wrong direction I went while trying to figure out what Billie meant in certain song. When I first got into Green Day it was all about enjoying melodies, but eventually it kinda feels more enjoyable when I know what is actually hidden behind the lyrics. Then again, it's just me. :)

I felt the same way, but I think it must be something along the lines of the girl's able to get hurt now (or bleed) that she's old enough to fend for herself. Or it's just meant to make us all really uncomfortable idk.

It's a double-meaning, and you're right but it's also about periods. It's not supposed to make you uncomfortable, menstruation is a sign of maturity all over the world. It's just saying she isn't a kid anymore.

It's a double-meaning, and you're right but it's also about periods. It's not supposed to make you uncomfortable, menstruation is a sign of maturity all over the world. It's just saying she isn't a kid anymore.

I don't think it was supposed to make us uncomfortable, but it might be to some people. :blink:

I don't think it was supposed to make us uncomfortable, but it might be to some people. :blink:

Well yeah, maybe if you're from the 1700's and any mention of a vagina or vagina related event makes you gasp with horror.

It's a thing that happens. 300 or so times if you're lucky.

Well yeah, maybe if you're from the 1700's and any mention of a vagina or vagina related event makes you gasp with horror.

It's a thing that happens. 300 or so times if you're lucky.

I put up with a lot of girl's shit, trust me, when women leave a mess in a toilet stall that makes it look like someone got murdered, that is truly the perfect time to gasp with horror at a vagina related event. Oh my god how did I get myself to talking about this? Hahahaha :P

There are tons, but cant recall right now.
Nice thread lol

• 2 weeks later...

I want to understand the exact meaning behind "Drop out, drop dead hideous". I really feel it - Brutal love is gorgeous - but I don't understand it.

Archived