Lyrics That Still Make No Sense to You

Anaïs.

The lyric is actually "she's old enough to bleed now", which I think makes more sense than putting "young" in there. Had it been the word young, yeah, it'd be pretty creepy, but the way the lyrics actually are basically say that she's not young anymore, and she's old enough to have troubles of her own that she has to take care of without somebody else patching it up for her.

My bad, I couldn't quite remember the lyric. That makes much more sense I guess.

I totally thought it meant she was old enough to have her period...

Gotta be honest, that's what I thought at first. But in the context of the song, fromdecimateddreams explains it pretty well.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly... For me, that line "I even looked under the bed" once made me cry actually... Specially because the exact same thing happened to my grandmother when my granddad was at the hospital (right before he died)... My mum said she was so confused (she is senile, and she was the one who took care of him, he had Alzheimer's disease) that she was always looking for him around the house, and my mum found her looking under his bed... It really hits me hard to hear that line, after this happened.

We all find something among other people's lyrics that fit us in different ways. Although Missing You is a song about a girlfriend going away, I always associate it with my nan as it came out around the time she died (of course it's more in a platonic way, but it hurts just as much). I still think it's a pretty terrible line, but I understand why you think differently towards it.

'Hey, you're living in the W' - Where the fuck is the 'W'? And Rhyming BMW with W is a little odd.

Almost positive it's a neighborhood.

I've never really understood "Then I realized what it took/to tell the difference between thieves and crooks" in Macy's Day Parade. I've thought about it over and over and just can't wrap my head around the whole thieves and crooks thing, and I feel like it's something really obvious that I'm completely looking over but I dunno.

The W is a expensive high class hotel

I still don't know what in the fuck Dirty Rotten Bastards is about...

I've always thought that it's a song about going on one massive bender. The first part is getting ready to go out, psyching yourself up. The second part is meeting a tran wreck of a girl called Juliana and the third part is the comedown. At least that's what I got from it anyway.

I always interpreted it as a story,

like JOS or Homecoming (except those 2 contribute to a bigger story, spanning the album) with each part of the song building on the situations of the last part.

I totally thought it meant she was old enough to have her period...

I think it's kind of both. He's making reference to her being old enough to literally bleed, as in have her period, as a metaphor for being old enough to "bleed" as in have to deal with the troubles of life (specifically the pressure of being under the media spotlight to support her family and all the people who have a stake in her fame).

Speaking of salad.... "we made our bed in salad days"... yeah.

Those lines that make weird references or use weird imagery don't bother me as much as when Billie uses phrases that I think he thinks make more sense than they do... like "losing faith to our abandon." I think the best Green Day songs are the ones that tell a clear story, such as Holiday or American Idiot. Then there are songs that are more of a stringing-together-of-thoughts, like 21 Guns, which has all the musical power of every Green Day song, and several great one-liners, but ultimately doesn't completely connect the dots in the same way that WMUWSE does, which is I think one of the most poetic Green Day songs.

I think i know the first part. It talks about partys before the rehab i guess.

"Calling all the demons, this is the season, next up is therapy"

Mine is from kill the dj and it's "thoughts are so unholy in the holiest of holes" What? A holy hole? I don't know what he is trying to say, maybe he is trying to be clever with various forms of the word hole

It's hard to tell if the trilogy was just poorly written due to the volume of songs, or if Billie's head was just that fucked up and all these lyrics just mean really deep things we don't understand. My guess is a little bit of both :ga:

But seeing you guys talk about Castaway makes me super happy because it's my favorite Green Day song mostly because the lyrics are so fucking awesome.

Strange lyrics= Billie Logic

Mine is from kill the dj and it's "thoughts are so unholy in the holiest of holes" What? A holy hole? I don't know what he is trying to say, maybe he is trying to be clever with various forms of the word hole

The way someone explained it to me recently was that whoever "you" is in the song is in a holy place, but having unholy thoughts. I think you're right about him playing with the word 'hole' because there are several different ways he could have worded it, but that one sounds the best, probably.

And also saying "the holiest of holes" out of context is just hilarious.

It's not a literal hole m8.

"Sex, drugs and violence. English, math, and science"

Like what?

"Sex, drugs and violence. English, math, and science"

Like what?

I think that's meant to be a compare/contrast of sorts, cause the whole song is kind of about how he never was interested in school or anything ("Back at school it never made much sense") and putting those two phrases you mentioned together is kind of a contrast as to two different ways of going about life. One way is to choose the path of "sex, drugs, and violence" which is obviously a more reckless lifestyle while the other part, "English, math, and science" is using what you learned in school and going about a more uniform and logical lifestyle.

That's how I interpreted it, at least.

I think that's meant to be a compare/contrast of sorts, cause the whole song is kind of about how he never was interested in school or anything ("Back at school it never made much sense") and putting those two phrases you mentioned together is kind of a contrast as to two different ways of going about life. One way is to choose the path of "sex, drugs, and violence" which is obviously a more reckless lifestyle while the other part, "English, math, and science" is using what you learned in school and going about a more uniform and logical lifestyle.

That's how I interpreted it, at least.

Yeah that's how i thought the song went, just a compare and contrast thing. But I just think it could have been in a different style to make what he is comparing more clear, it makes it sound like he's saying math and science helped him with drugs sex and violence. If that even makes sense, probably not :lol:

Yeah that's how i thought the song went, just a compare and contrast thing. But I just think it could have been in a different style to make what he is comparing more clear, it makes it sound like he's saying math and science helped him with drugs sex and violence. If that even makes sense, probably not :lol:

Well hey, you certainly need science to know enough about sex, so maybe you're right :lol:

2000 Lightyears Away:

"She holds my malachite so tight so never let go..."

Malachite, according to Wikipedia; a copper carbonate hydroxide mineral.

2000 Lightyears Away:

"She holds my malachite so tight so never let go..."

Malachite, according to Wikipedia; a copper carbonate hydroxide mineral.

It is, but it's also green. Billie has green eyes, so it's like saying that she holds his gaze so tightly so he can't let go, just in a fancier way. :ga:

Well I remember reading a recent interview and billie said the types of songs he writes and he even said sometimes I don't even know what I'm writing about, and he used nuclear family as an example

Chorus to Sex, Drugs and Violence........."English , math & science" just seem like throw away fill in lyrics that happen to rhyme "Safety in numbers, gimme gimme danger" - just

seem like you would be humming and making up random words to sing...... not really thought through, just easy....

Thats kind of what I thought at first, except I realized later that the song is probably about regretting dropping out of school. So English, Math, and Science seem directly related to the topic of the song to me.

Could be the YWCA?

It is, but it's also green. Billie has green eyes, so it's like saying that she holds his gaze so tightly so he can't let go, just in a fancier way. :ga:

It also represents loyalty

Archived