Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Listen to Static Noise 94: We give our thoughts on Demolicious.

Photo

Lyrics That Still Make No Sense to You

• Please log in to reply
320 replies to this topic

Zack.

Zack.
  • Resident Digod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2010
  • 1,448 rep

How does that not not make sense?

I think he just doesn't know that figure of speech.

Moriarty

Moriarty
  • Elton John

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2009
  • 653 rep

The first verse of Brutal Love... It's "Turn out the lights, close your eyes" but then right after the song goes, "dance forever, under the lights."

BUT THEY WERE JUST TURNED OUT!

(Unless I'm a total idiot and "turn out" is not synonymous with "turn off"....)

I would say that's two different "lights". The first ones being all the artificial lights nearby, and the second being the stars.

And while I'm here, that under the bed line from Missing You is fucking terrible. Great song, with a terrible, terrible line.

Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012
  • 653 rep
  • Location:In the Her Great Majesty of Florence's kitchen, making Her dinner.

How does that not not make sense?

Okay, if that has sense, then explain it to me!

"It's not to 99, it's 99 to 1"

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • http://ask.fm/ceadog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,554 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 16,180 rep

POPULAR

Goddamn, I fucking love that lyric in Missing You. It just shows how desperate Billie has become. He misses the person so much that it's reduced him to a level of childlike desperation. He knows they're not there, but he's so desperate that he goes as far as to look in the most childish of places. It's a humbling reminder of the power of love over even the most cynical of people.

Sanket

Sanket
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 22 rep

"And all the losers, can you even win for losing?" - Rusty James

Probably refers to people who 'fake' being in a bad situation, and won't do something to make it better

StuckWithInsomnia

StuckWithInsomnia
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Joined May 26, 2012
  • 444 rep

"Did you stand too close to the fire? Like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone"

So liars, that are looking for forgiveness from a stone, tend to stand too close to a fire? 

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • http://ask.fm/ceadog

• 15,554 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 16,180 rep

"Did you stand too close to the fire? Like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone"

So liars, that are look for forgiveness from a stone, tend to stand too close to a fire? 

You stand too close to a fire you get burnt. I assume the forgiveness thing is like getting water from a stone, it's pointless.

Yeah I dunno how they link at all. Cocaines a helluva drug.

xXRustyJamesXx

xXRustyJamesXx
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Joined Dec 23, 2012
  • 104 rep

I don't get the lyrics of Makeout Party....

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 25,672 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 8,461 rep

Okay, if that has sense, then explain it to me!

"It's not to 99, it's 99 to 1"

"Catch 22" is an expression that means being stuck in a situation that you can't get out of.

"It's not 1 to 99, it's 99 to 1" is referring to the "We are the 99%" slogan used during the recent Occupy movement in the US, which is about the idea that "99%" of the population is paying the price for the economic mistakes of a small minority or "1%" of the wealthy upper class (you can read more about it here).

I think that lyric is saying that the ordinary citizens of the US can be stronger than the small number of people with huge amounts of wealth and power, that as the majority they can take back the control. Like, "It's not the 1% with the upper hand over the 99%, it's the 99% with the upper hand over the 1%". That's my take on it anyway, hopefully it helps!

The Grouch.

The Grouch.
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Joined Apr 12, 2013
  • 523 rep

It's hard to tell if the trilogy was just poorly written due to the volume of songs, or if Billie's head was just that fucked up and all these lyrics just mean really deep things we don't understand. My guess is a little bit of both  :ga:

But seeing you guys talk about Castaway makes me super happy because it's my favorite Green Day song mostly because the lyrics are so fucking awesome.

Mine too

Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012
  • 653 rep

"Catch 22" is an expression that means being stuck in a situation that you can't get out of.

"It's not 1 to 99, it's 99 to 1" is referring to the "We are the 99%" slogan used during the recent Occupy movement in the US, which is about the idea that "99%" of the population is paying the price for the economic mistakes of a small minority or "1%" of the wealthy upper class (you can read more about it here).

I think that lyric is saying that the ordinary citizens of the US can be stronger than the small number of people with huge amounts of wealth and power, that as the majority they can take back the control. Like, "It's not the 1% with the upper hand over the 99%, it's the 99% with the upper hand over the 1%". That's my take on it
anyway, hopefully it helps!

Oh,dude,thanks! It really helped me out!

Caractériel

Caractériel
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2010
  • 415 rep

So many of the trilogy songs have lyrics that make no senses. Is it deliberate? Or lazy writing? We'll never know.

'Hey, you're living in the W' - Where the fuck is the 'W'? And Rhyming BMW with W is a little odd.

Missing You is a great little tune, but the lyrics are weak as fuck as well. It almost sounds like a parody of a cheesy love song.

Another one is 'You're a sacrificial suicide, like a dog that's been sodomized'. That's a real WTF line right there. Somehow, it works though. Who knew that a lyric about a poor dog being violated anally could make for such an excellent metaphor in a really good song :P

'She's young enough to bleed now' from Drama Queen is a tad creepy if you ask me. EDIT: It's 'old' not 'young'. Fail.

Tubbie Head

Tubbie Head
  • teh biggest Blue Night fan

• 12,210 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2008
  • 2,729 rep

raw ham raw ham

Tubbie Head

Tubbie Head
  • teh biggest Blue Night fan

• 12,210 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2008
  • 2,729 rep

POPULAR

I would say that's two different "lights". The first ones being all the artificial lights nearby, and the second being the stars.

And while I'm here, that under the bed line from Missing You is fucking terrible. Great song, with a terrible, terrible line.

Goddamn, I fucking love that lyric in Missing You. It just shows how desperate Billie has become. He misses the person so much that it's reduced him to a level of childlike desperation. He knows they're not there, but he's so desperate that he goes as far as to look in the most childish of places. It's a humbling reminder of the power of love over even the most cynical of people.

Exactly... For me, that line "I even looked under the bed" once made me cry actually... Specially because the exact same thing happened to my grandmother when my granddad was at the hospital (right before he died)... My mum said she was so confused (she is senile, and she was the one who took care of him, he had Alzheimer's disease) that she was always looking for him around the house, and my mum found her looking under his bed... It really hits me hard to hear that line, after this happened. 

fromdecimateddreams

fromdecimateddreams
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2013
  • 737 rep

'She's young enough to bleed now' from Drama Queen is a tad creepy if you ask me.

The lyric is actually "she's old enough to bleed now", which I think makes more sense than putting "young" in there. Had it been the word young, yeah, it'd be pretty creepy, but the way the lyrics actually are basically say that she's not young anymore, and she's old enough to have troubles of her own that she has to take care of without somebody else patching it up for her.

Advertising

Rayne.

Rayne.
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Joined Jul 01, 2010
  • 73 rep

The lyric is actually "she's old enough to bleed now", which I think makes more sense than putting "young" in there. Had it been the word young, yeah, it'd be pretty creepy, but the way the lyrics actually are basically say that she's not young anymore, and she's old enough to have troubles of her own that she has to take care of without somebody else patching it up for her.

I totally thought it meant she was old enough to have her period...

Caractériel

Caractériel
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2010
  • 415 rep

My bad, I couldn't quite remember the lyric. That makes much more sense I guess.

Gotta be honest, that's what I thought at first. But in the context of the song, fromdecimateddreams explains it pretty well.

Moriarty

Moriarty
  • Elton John

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2009
  • 653 rep

Exactly... For me, that line "I even looked under the bed" once made me cry actually... Specially because the exact same thing happened to my grandmother when my granddad was at the hospital (right before he died)... My mum said she was so confused (she is senile, and she was the one who took care of him, he had Alzheimer's disease) that she was always looking for him around the house, and my mum found her looking under his bed... It really hits me hard to hear that line, after this happened. 

We all find something among other people's lyrics that fit us in different ways. Although Missing You is a song about a girlfriend going away, I always associate it with my nan as it came out around the time she died (of course it's more in a platonic way, but it hurts just as much). I still think it's a pretty terrible line, but I understand why you think differently towards it.

Zack.

Zack.
  • Resident Digod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2010
  • 1,448 rep

'Hey, you're living in the W' - Where the fuck is the 'W'? And Rhyming BMW with W is a little odd.

Almost positive it's a neighborhood.

fromdecimateddreams

fromdecimateddreams
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2013
  • 737 rep

I've never really understood "Then I realized what it took/to tell the difference between thieves and crooks" in Macy's Day Parade. I've thought about it over and over and just can't wrap my head around the whole thieves and crooks thing, and I feel like it's something really obvious that I'm completely looking over but I dunno.

mylilPWNy

mylilPWNy
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2012
  • 10 rep

I still don't know what in the fuck Dirty Rotten Bastards is about...

WhiteTim

WhiteTim
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,947 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 496 rep

Almost positive it's a neighborhood.

The W is a expensive high class hotel

Caractériel

Caractériel
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2010
  • 415 rep

I've always thought that it's a song about going on one massive bender. The first part is getting ready to go out, psyching yourself up. The second part is meeting a tran wreck of a girl called Juliana and the third part is the comedown. At least that's what I got from it anyway.

Asa.

Asa.
  • Raptor Vampire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
  • Joined Sep 24, 2012
  • 989 rep

I always interpreted it as a story,
like JOS or Homecoming (except those 2 contribute to a bigger story, spanning the album) with each part of the song building on the situations of the last part.

robinlovesbillie

robinlovesbillie
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined Oct 31, 2010
  • 28 rep

THE "W" refers to a hotel.......there are many "W" hotels.

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 25,672 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 8,461 rep

I think it's kind of both. He's making reference to her being old enough to literally bleed, as in have her period, as a metaphor for being old enough to "bleed" as in have to deal with the troubles of life (specifically the pressure of being under the media spotlight to support her family and all the people who have a stake in her fame).

Heather.

Heather.
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,127 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2011
  • 6,192 rep

Speaking of salad.... "we made our bed in salad days"... yeah.

Those lines that make weird references or use weird imagery don't bother me as much as when Billie uses phrases that I think he thinks make more sense than they do... like "losing faith to our abandon."  I think the best Green Day songs are the ones that tell a clear story, such as Holiday or American Idiot.  Then there are songs that are more of a stringing-together-of-thoughts, like 21 Guns, which has all the musical power of every Green Day song, and several great one-liners, but ultimately doesn't completely connect the dots in the same way that WMUWSE does, which is I think one of the most poetic Green Day songs.

Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012
  • 653 rep

I think i know the first part. It talks about partys before the rehab i guess.

"Calling all the demons, this is the season, next up is therapy"

don'tdreamitbeit

don'tdreamitbeit
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Joined Feb 28, 2013
  • 63 rep

Mine is from kill the dj and it's "thoughts are so unholy in the holiest of holes" What? A holy hole? I don't know what he is trying to say, maybe he is trying to be clever with various forms of the word hole

Kill_the_Lamp

Kill_the_Lamp
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Joined Sep 17, 2012
  • 14 rep

It's hard to tell if the trilogy was just poorly written due to the volume of songs, or if Billie's head was just that fucked up and all these lyrics just mean really deep things we don't understand. My guess is a little bit of both  :ga:

But seeing you guys talk about Castaway makes me super happy because it's my favorite Green Day song mostly because the lyrics are so fucking awesome.

Strange lyrics= Billie Logic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users