Lyrics That Still Make No Sense to You

Anaïs.

Double post, whatever.

I don't understand how "I am the cherub in the Arab Spring" has any relevance at all in Baby Eyes. It's not a political song.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to understand the exact meaning behind "Drop out, drop dead hideous". I really feel it - Brutal love is gorgeous - but I don't understand it.

FUCKING. THIS. I love it, but that line, as nice as it sounds, I do not understand it. At all. At it's, like, my favourite love song ever.

FUCKING. THIS. I love it, but that line, as nice as it sounds, I do not understand it. At all. At it's, like, my favourite love song ever.

I've been thinking about it and I've figured it might be a suicide reference.

I've been thinking about it and I've figured it might be a suicide reference.

Are you kidding me? Ah well, it makes sense, but it's still my fucking favourite.

Are you kidding me? Ah well, it makes sense, but it's still my fucking favourite.

No joke. In fact, the idea kind of makes the lyrics more interesting to me.

Well, iTré! is the aftermath of the party album, a post-high dip. Brutal Love is about the ups and downs of love and all that, and the song ends on a down, just like the general trend of the song is that it starts with all the positive-ish parts of love and ends on the negative side. Wanting it, needing it, even though it's brutal. I think it's more dropping out of love than out of life. Or wanting to drop out of love. And I presume that "drop-dead hideous" is just another reference to the two-facedness of love, it being a play of words on drop-dead gorgeous and all. It's great and gorgeous, but hideous at the same time or at different times, but either way it's applicable to love.

It's a bisexuality reference, he talked about it in an interview. I've always thought it might be fitting in with the insanity theme of the whole song too though.

Oh that's nice to learn. I always thought he was giving him advice about a girlfriend and his whining is bringing the girlfriend down.. even though it dosen't make much sense.

Double post, whatever.

I don't understand how "I am the cherub in the Arab Spring" has any relevance at all in Baby Eyes. It's not a political song.

lol every mention of Arabs has to be about the war now?

what are you even...

what are you even...

Its a term for the revolutionary wave of demonstration - wiki

Its a term for the revolutionary wave of demonstration - wiki

The only thing that comes up when I Google it is the song lyrics.

[Edit:] Okay so just the phrase "Arab spring". It doesn't have to be a political song for him to mention what's going on in the world around him.

I still don't know what in the fuck Dirty Rotten Bastards is about...

Dirty Rotten Bastards is about the band Green Day.

what are you even...

Well it's a term for the protests occurring simultaneously across the Middle East.

And by the way, I'm a Muslim, so I'm the last person here to have prejudiced, small minded views of Arabs.

RE: Sex, Drugs, and Violence

Musically the song has a real first generation punk thing going for it. The Ramones especially. English, Math and Science has a real Ramones quality to it. I'd wager that's where the song started.

In Church on Sunday, I've always wondered what's being implied by the line "trust is a dirty word that comes only from such a liar".

I think this one is a very straightforward line, actually. When the person keeps on lying to you and breaking promises, asking you to trust them.. basically all the sacrificed things associated with them start looking nasty, for example, people ruining songs that you associated with them. The same way trust, once such a beautiful/important/etc thing becomes really ruined by infidelity or anything else of sorts.

I really feel like I know what it means but I suck so bad at explaining. :lol:

In Troublemaker "I like your BM Excellent tits with a tattoo of a pig sniffing glue."

In Troublemaker "I like your BM Excellent tits with a tattoo of a pig sniffing glue."

I think BM Excellent is just a play with words, as beforehand BMW is mentioned. But basically he probably portrays a girl with fake tits, driving around in a BMW, living in hotels (living in the W), getting dumb tattoos and getting high. In a degrading, gibing manner. How such people as the one described are troublemakers (aka wounds) of society.

That's my 2 cents.

I want to understand the exact meaning behind "Drop out, drop dead hideous". I really feel it - Brutal love is gorgeous - but I don't understand it.

Y'know, like a play on the phrase "drop dead gorgeous"

Oh. Oh, yeah. That makes it a lot clearer now, what with the idea of the love being 'brutal'.

:fool:

I don't know what I heard but I had no idea those were even the lyrics so now that line makes even less sense!

As we all know, there are many Green Day songs that have nigh-perfect lyrics; songs that speak to us, that we can relate to, that tell a unique story very well.

And then...there's the word salad stuff.

So, I'm asking you guys: what Green Day lyrics still mean absolutely nothing coherent to you? Who knows, maybe we can figure out what they mean together. :P For myself, I still have no idea what in God's name Billie is trying to say in "Restless Heart Syndrome" when he asks "Is what ails you what impales you?" I'm sure he's trying to be deep and maybe throw in some crucifixion imagery, but it just comes off as an instance of what TV Tropes calls "Meaningless Meaningful Words". A lot of the trilogy is less this and more "Word Salad Lyrics"; for instance, "I'm drinking the Kool-Aid/I jumped on the grenade." Seriously, WTF, Billie?

So what ails is you what impales you is actually pretty clever, I've always liked that lyric. I think it is meant to be a crucifixion references, due to 'Christian', obviously. The definition of 'ail' is 'to give physical or emotional pain', so the physical pain of being impaled is obvious. But I think it runs deeper than that, like to have emotional issues that are so deep you feel 'impaled' by them, giving you physical pain. Potentially the 'restless heart' of the song title is what this is referring to.

• 2 weeks later...

Can I just ask you to explain what that phrase means? I really don't get it.

The line in No Pride fucks with me.
"To hell with unity, separation will kill us all."
It's contradictory, and I guess it means he wants to die?
He wants to die, as a result of not having pride?
FUCK IT

The line in No Pride fucks with me.

"To hell with unity, separation will kill us all."

It's contradictory, and I guess it means he wants to die?

He wants to die, as a result of not having pride?

FUCK IT

I use to think it said "to hell with puberty"

Can I just ask you to explain what that phrase means? I really don't get it.

Very very beautiful. It's an exaggeratory statement saying someone is so gorgeous you could die from their beauty. Kind of like something being "cute enough to eat".

Very very beautiful. It's an exaggeratory statement saying someone is so gorgeous you could die from their beauty. Kind of like something being "cute enough to eat".

Oh. Now I get it. Thank you.

Archived